Beers of the World - Mk 5 *** RULES AND SIGNUP HERE ***

Soldato
Its back and its almost as boozy as ever.

For those that haven't played before, all you need to do is send an email with a pic of the beer that meets the theme for a particular week.

Rules

1) You must be aged 18+ to take part in this competition as it requires purchasing alcohol.

2) Take a clear pic of the beer so I can see evidence of the theme being met.

3) Each week you enter a picture of your beer of choice for that weeks chosen theme. The picture must include a note with the words 'BOTW 5' and your Forum name written on it, this should be beside the beer can, bottle or bar taps. ANY pics entered without it will NOT count.

4) No photoshopping. Any suspect tampering will result in being barred from the competition.

5) Homebrews are not allowed.

6) 1 beer per email. Email must be received by 5pm each Saturday. Entries received after this will not count.

7) Email subject must be 'BOTW <insert letter>'

8) The Judges decision is final (that's me) although I may defer some decisions to an independent adjudicator

9) Results will appear in La Cuisine on a weekly basis

10) Jester card - When you decide to play your Jester card, make sure you state this within the email or email subject. If it's not stated, it will not count

11) No referencing websites for lists of ingredients, only the bottle/can/pump clip counts. Take several pics if you need to (front and back of can/bottle etc...)

12) I'll offer a prize for the winner. And the traditional wooden spoon for the loser. If Feek scores higher than you, you can see yourself out.

13) Remember, this is about trying new beers, having a laugh and a bit of fun. Enjoy it and enjoy the banter too. Good Luck all!

So send an email to beersotw5 @ gmail.com with the required info (remove the spaces). Feel free to use an anonymous account if you like.
You can send entries ahead of time, all 26 if you like but they must be separate emails. You can change your entry and I will only use the latest entry received before the deadline.
I may reply if your entry does not meet the requirements due to an oversight such as you forgot to include the date or the pic is not clear enough. Your new pic must be the same beer as your original entry.

Feel free to look at previous threads although a lot of the pics no longer appear.

Themes

Some classics make a return but some new themes have been added. Feel free to be as clever or risky as you like but my decision is final.

A - America - Made in America (1st May)

B - Belgium - Made in Belgium (8th May)

C - Chocolate - Must contain chocolate in the ingredients or have Chocolate in the name (15th May)

D - Dark - Must say Dark on the label (22nd May)

E - Eurovision - Enter a beer from the winning country (Italy) or worst performing country (UK). I'll even allow a beer the name of song from those countries whatever that maybe (29th May)

F – Five (5.0%) - The abv must be 5.0% (5th June)

G - Germany - Made in Germany (12th June)

H – Holiday - A reference to a public holiday – Xmas, Easter, etc.. (19th June)

I - Ireland - Made in Ireland (26th June)

J – Juice - A beer with fruit involved (3rd July)

K – King - A beer with the word King in the name (10th July)

L - Light - Must reference Light on label. (17th July)

M – Me - Must have Mark in the beer name. Edit: it's proven surprisingly difficult to get a beer that meets this criteria so here's an extra chance, M = Marriage. Submit a collaboration beer. You get an extra 2pts of you meet the original theme though. (24th July)

N - Non alcoholic - Max 0.5% abv (31st July)

O – Orange - Ingredient or name must contain Orange (7th August)

P - Porter - Self explanatory (14th August)

Q – Queen - Queen in the name or image on the label (21st August)

R – Red ale (or ruby) - Self explanatory (28th August)

S - Scotland - Made in Scotland (4th Sept)

T – Tea - Must use tea in the ingredients or in the name (11th Sept)

U – Untappd - Enter the beer with highest Untappd score over 4.25 and must have over 300 check-ins at time of judging. (18th Sept)

V – Vessel - Must have a picture of a ship or boat on the label (25th Sept)

W - Wales - Made in Wales (2nd Oct)

X - X-Rated - The label or name must reference something x-rated! (9th Oct)

Y – Year - The name or main image must reference a year (BBE will not count) (16th Oct)

Z - Zoological - Must have an animal on label or in the name (23rd Oct)

Scoring
Scoring happens when I total up the points for that week. I'll try and do this on a Sunday morning.
5pts for a unique beer.
You lose a point for every same beer that is entered by someone else.
You get a bonus point if none of my Untappd friends have checked in the same beer as you (I have 21 friends averaging 492 unique check ins).
There are random bonus points on offer each week. This will be announced in the results page the week before (nothing for the first week)
You each get a Jester Card as is tradition. This can only be played once and will double your points for that round.

These things are time intensive so I won't be posting images in the results thread. You are free to post images of your entries though as I am sure some people will be interested in trying new beers.

So, entries for American beer by 12:00am (UK) 2nd May 2021 and remember, its just for fun.

Example entry;

vPyPCMJ.jpg

I'll not be changing the themes but feel free to comment on the rules or ask for clarification.

Please let me know if you are taking part so I know whom to look out for.

Drinkers:
Ahleck
Bickaxe (Judge)
Executive Beef
Feek (the token novelty act)
Lysander
Martynt74
MikeTheNative
Repta
Russinating
Sonea Fifer
Touch
Weringo <--- WINNER!!!

Please remember that drinking can be hazardous to your health and should be done in moderation.
You are responsible for you own actions.
https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/

Last edited:
Commissario
Fantastic idea - Thanks for doing this.

I'm not going to partake this time but I think I have a lot of gin or rum that works for those categories so I may well send you 'entries' each week, expecting to get zero points each time :D

Soldato
OP
Untapped - Enter the highest rated beer you can or just play blind as you never know.
It's ranked 0-5 by the user with an average taken from everyone that checks in.... Carlsberg has 246,668 check ins with the rating currently at 2.97. So not very good.

I wanted to add something different that gives a lot of scope for type of beer
I should imagine other sites will score similarly but I use Untappd.

Soldato
I was waiting for this to come along. Count me in. The Untappd point scoring will add some chaos - points for both uniqueness and prevelence this time around. Any clues as to what type of beers your friends drink? :p

Question on the rules - are we permitting multiple entries of the same beer for different rounds?

Soldato
OP
Yes, you can enter the same beer for different rounds if it fits.
As for my friends, the are all different. Some like sours whereas I think they are an abomination.
2 of them run an alehouse and a couple have over 3000 unique check ins. The element of chaos should mix things up quite a bit.

Soldato
OP
100% in :). Nice one.

Just to confirm, the max bonus points for the Untappd score is 21 (hypothetically)?!

Hypothetically yes. It's a completely stupid idea but it should be fun. Chances of all my friends drinking that same beer and nobody else getting it... Not easy and I'm not even sure it's possible.

Add the 5 for a unique beer and play your Jester card and that's 52 points. Bottom to top of the table in 1 beer potentially.

Soldato
If there's 21 possible points available for something which is common amongst your friends and only 5 points available for something which is unique, the aim will change to finding the most popular* beers in the category rather than the most obscure?

*edit: maybe not most popular, but something well known and widely available.

Soldato
OP
If there's 21 possible points available for something which is common amongst your friends and only 5 points available for something which is unique, the aim will change to finding the most popular* beers in the category rather than the most obscure?

Possibly. I'm not convinced all of my friends have tried the same thing though, I think there's might be a few points to gain but more than 5pts is unlikely.
But who knows what will happen, I'm certainly not trawling through to find out which beers we have in common until i see the entries. It would take days.

Soldato
It's a shame that finding (and trying) something genuinely unique - like a pub's own brew - will be a sure fire way of getting no bonus points vs something in the supermarket or widely available at off licences.

Soldato

aye, that’s how I read it. Doesn’t make sense to reward a popular beer.

Soldato
OP
I'm happy to change it.

I think you all might be over-estimating the chances of matching up but I am rewarding unique beers.

As a change, would you prefer :

If any of my friends have matched a beer, you get fewer points as if they are entering beers too? This could result in negative numbers which will be interesting.

Or

You get a set amount of bonus points for something truly unique. Match with my friends and you get bonus points, this would reward unique beers and common to a lesser extent. The only people you don't want to match with are those taking part.

Or

Something else

Soldato
You get a set amount of bonus points for something truly unique. Match with my friends and you get bonus points, this would reward unique beers and common to a lesser extent. The only people you don't want to match with are those taking part.

I would say similar to this but the other way around:

5 points for submitting an entry
-1 point for each other poster who has the same beer
+1 bonus point if none of your friends have reviewed the beer

Just to be clear: I'm in whatever you decide the rules are :)

Soldato
OP
I would say similar to this but the other way around:

5 points for submitting an entry
-1 point for each other poster who has the same beer
+1 bonus point if none of your friends have reviewed the beer

Just to be clear: I'm in whatever you decide the rules are :)

I'll go with that but it will mean no mad point gains which adds some chaos.
Will make the rule change now.

Back
Top Bottom