Crashing while gaming

Man of Honour
Unfortunately not at the moment but if everything else fails I'll keep it as a last chance

Just checking as well you are using a pair of cables to power the card and not just a single one? People say it to me all the time because I run just 1 cable but might be worth a check.

Associate
OP
Just checking as well you are using a pair of cables to power the card and not just a single one? People say it to me all the time because I run just 1 cable but might be worth a check.
My card needs 3 cables and all 3 of them are single ones, 3 x 6+2

Soldato
Could well be ram related, I used to get similar errors from games crashing when I swapped to my 3080. It was incredibly hard to nail down at first as memtest would come back fine but it turned out that it was due to the heat the 3080 was generating was overheating the memory and causing issues so I dialled it back and then it was ok. I was running 1.49v on the ram mind you at that time though.

Try leaving the case open and see if that makes a difference.

Soldato
Programme I use to test ram

memtest86 - run over night 4 passes
Aida64 - run for at least 2hrs

With those two you should be able to pick up any ram issues.

Associate
OP
Could well be ram related, I used to get similar errors from games crashing when I swapped to my 3080. It was incredibly hard to nail down at first as memtest would come back fine but it turned out that it was due to the heat the 3080 was generating was overheating the memory and causing issues so I dialled it back and then it was ok. I was running 1.49v on the ram mind you at that time though.

Try leaving the case open and see if that makes a difference.
Makes sense but, my airflow first of all is ridiculous my case is opened all around and also I'll give you an example , in RDR2 it is doing it after 30 mins+ maybe 45 (means the temp is on peak), on AC:Valhalla it is ALWAYS doing it in the first 5 mins , every single time. I mean it can't even reach a proper temp, I dont think its this.

@pc-guy
BTW My ram is 16gb aorus 2x8 but I have 2 demo modules on as well only for the nice effect.. any thoughts on those demo sticks causing it?

Associate
I think it may be RAM related. I had a couple of these crashes when I first got my 5800X, and setting SoC and CPU LLC to level 3 (medium), and bumping the ram voltage to 1.38v seemed to do the trick for me, so maybe worth a try.
(With apologies if you've already tried all that!)

Associate
OP
I think it may be RAM related. I had a couple of these crashes when I first got my 5800X, and setting SoC and CPU LLC to level 3 (medium), and bumping the ram voltage to 1.38v seemed to do the trick for me, so maybe worth a try.
(With apologies if you've already tried all that!)
I'll give it a shot mate, thanks!! should i leave my PBO2 active while having this setting???

Edit: or X.M.P ??

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes leave XMP where it is, PBO can stay on.

It gives a little extra voltage under load. Ryzen Tuner reports 'excessive vdroop' and aborts the test on my chip, unless I give it LLC.
I really hope you solved my issue brother. For the first time AC Valhalla stays on more than 5 minutes (about 15 at the moment)

I really hope that was it!!! Thanks a lot for the help

Associate
OP
So we are getting there slowly,

Now it crashed after a record breaking 30-35 mins non stop, I even manage to finish the benchmark (!!!), but the crash now was different, it sent me straight back to windows and I got Ubisoft's crash report (never had it before on the previous crashes)
Also the event viewer gave me 2 brand new errors , and not the old one whatsoever.

free animated jpeg images

Associate
Up to date on GPU drivers? That's a driver crash, could possibly still be ram related though. I think the Skype error is coincidental.

Just for a test, wind the ram speed down to 3200, and ram voltage to 1.35v. Leave everything else where it is and see how you get on.
I run my ram at 3200c14, even though it'll do 3600c16 quite happily.

Soldato
it'll be your version of windows that your running 1909 is pretty old now, some of windows most upto date updates will cause all sorts of problems if they try to install on 1909, they wont know any diffrence and will install to it, have a look at updating windows to 20h2 os build 19042.867, thats what i run and its stable as a rock, which gpu driver do you have too as the latest version may cause problems with windows version 1909 that you have (the latest nvidia driver is 465.89) you may be ok with earlier drivers but again if you have installed the latest on a old version of windows that will cause yet more problems.

have a look at updating windows first, you may find your oc settings you had before are not the problem

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've just updated Windows and uninstalled some monitoring software I had that was linked to one of the event IDs. I'm trying again I'm in game smooth again for now . If it fails again I'll try looking RAM clock as you said mate. @DoneADougalOnSofa
@wookiee87 just did mate. Fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom