Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Man of Honour
I was looking at the pictures of the GTR I tested in January 2019 and at the time I didn't notice a big chunk of plastic missing from the engine compartment that only became apparent to me when I got my own.

Test car...
ePAJc3N.jpg

My car...
JFFMFYa.jpg

Associate
Have you considered the E350e?
I have, and it is not likely to be something I'd go for. Second hand I think it's a potential world of hurt, the warranty on the batteries will be close to expired, and I think have two different engine systems in there is just asking for trouble when it comes to repairs. I tend to keep cars until they die, so I expect to run into more bills to keep them running as they get older, and I think the complexity, and relative rarity of that model is just going to cause them to mount up rather more than I'd like.

Soldato
I have, and it is not likely to be something I'd go for. Second hand I think it's a potential world of hurt, the warranty on the batteries will be close to expired

Yeah its 6 years or about 65k miles I think, warranty can be extended as well.

I tend to keep cars until they die, so I expect to run into more bills to keep them running as they get older, and I think the complexity, and relative rarity of that model is just going to cause them to mount up rather more than I'd like.

You might not keep it that long depending on the measures put in place to get rid of diesel cars off the road, when PHEV's (petrol based)will have some advantage. You should look at the TCO of the car, or not plan on keeping it longer than 5 years IMO, Gov.uk could start to put fuel duty up a great deal as 2030 closes in as well.

Soldato
@Housey & other 4.0 V8 63 owners, how are you finding oil consumption?

I've done 500ml in the last 1500 miles or so. Admitedly the trips have been shorter than usual (COVID).

Just using the Mercedes OE spec 5w40.

I do remember my old 6.2 coupe using a decent amount, although I did put on 13k miles in 7 months with that! I used to commute up the m6 with it.

Gangster
Associate
@Housey & other 4.0 V8 63 owners, how are you finding oil consumption?

I've done 500ml in the last 1500 miles or so. Admitedly the trips have been shorter than usual (COVID).

Just using the Mercedes OE spec 5w40.

I do remember my old 6.2 coupe using a decent amount, although I did put on 13k miles in 7 months with that! I used to commute up the m6 with it.

I have done around 1000 miles in the last month, mostly thrashing it on B roads. I’ve not had to top up the engine oil yet but I have bought 4L of Castro’s Edge 5w40. Only £25 on Amazon, bargain!

Man of Honour
Well so far really impressed with Macclesfield Mercedes. Called them today to check they had parts in and new who I was, answered the question before I asked it nearly (due in the morning) and then got an nice link to book it all in asking if I needed anything else, bit of up sell on bits n bibs too. Stoke Mercedes could learn!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Suspension malfunction down to an engine mount issue which is being replaced in the morning. Not a small job but a common issue it seems from research. Radiator grills done so bit more protection up front all under warranty.

Very impressed with Macclesfield Mercedes still to this point. Lots of good communication today, sorted out getting my car into the app when I dropped the car off as it needed to be put into my name from the previous owner, which only a dealer can do.

Soldato
So today on the way to work something decided to drop from a bridge and smash into my windscreen. Enough force that the crack can be felt in the cabin and not just outside. Arranged a fix on Monday which was the earliest I could do.

So annoying!

Associate
You should look at the TCO of the car, or not plan on keeping it longer than 5 years IMO, Gov.uk could start to put fuel duty up a great deal as 2030 closes in as well.

I’m likely to keep it until the cost of maintaining it outweighs the cost to replace it. If fuel duty goes through the ceiling then it will factor into how long to keep the car.

Are there any particular optional packs I should look out for? I’m leaning towards the SE because of the full leather seats, and I like the digital dash, but that seem quite rare, and I’m not sure it’s that useful. I know I want smartphone integration so I can use Android Auto.

Soldato
Sounds like it could have been lethal!

Yea was (is) rather annoying. It doesn't look that bad but it's a proper crack. About an inch higher and it would hit the glossy bit between the glass roof and then windscreen.

I said to myself that if I was being an idiot and too close to someone I would understand a stone flying up or something, but as it was just me it's really annoyed me!

Soldato
Wow! I received this message last night:

Hi there

can I just say I owe you a massive thank you. I very nearly bought your old e63 after being lied to by Mercedes derby. I googled the reg and your posts on here came up.
They said the car had been faultless and the only reason you traded it in was because it wouldn’t be economically viable for you to run as you were doing longer commutes

One other thing, I didn’t ever receive the V5, reckon I even appear in the history?

inchape derby, the place you can trust....

Soldato
Wow! I received this message last night:

Hi there

can I just say I owe you a massive thank you. I very nearly bought your old e63 after being lied to by Mercedes derby. I googled the reg and your posts on here came up.
They said the car had been faultless and the only reason you traded it in was because it wouldn’t be economically viable for you to run as you were doing longer commutes

One other thing, I didn’t ever receive the V5, reckon I even appear in the history?

inchape derby, the place you can trust....
Oof.

In better news for Derby, I've always had great service at the Jag dealership. Although for sure they took a quid out of my car (I had two in there).

Man of Honour
So not sure if this has been done, but for this with AMG Merc's, who 'Hand Crafted' your engine?

Mine was done by this chap or chapess
XK8Iiv4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom