Random 3D printing chatter

Associate
Nice....looks like a benchy! Did it print significantly faster? That's the idea, isn't it?

Nope a 2.85mm print if anything would be slower as you might need to slow down to allow the thicker filament to melt. I'm still using a 0.4mm nozzle, if I was using a larger nozzle I could increase layer height etc and that would reduce print time.

I converted to that size as I brought some filament samples in that size as well as had some spools in 2.85mm.

Faberdashery filament samples, they stopped making filament a couple of years ago but that had some awesome colour's.

Exa-FPPs-WEAc-Zdvh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah, I see. I'd incorrectly presumed a direct link between filament size and nozzle size. So if you stuck a SuperVolcano (or something similar) in as your hotend to provide faster melting you could then get faster print time by using a wider nozzle but at the expense of fine detail.

Associate
Ah, I see. I'd incorrectly presumed a direct link between filament size and nozzle size. So if you stuck a SuperVolcano (or something similar) in as your hotend to provide faster melting you could then get faster print time by using a wider nozzle but at the expense of fine detail.

Correct.

Associate
Finally got around to taking a pic of my printer setup. It's in the garage on a movable enclosure. Still need to tidy up the pi and the wires and need a front cover for it as I'm currently out of wood and just using a heavy sheet.

t19Ickj.jpg

sPF6XWV.jpg

I've got two screw braces putting tension on the printer and case so hopefully it's perceived mass is much higher and should let me get some good printing speeds going....or at the very least it keeps it firmly in place.

Don
Not really 3D printing but some parts of it are 3D printed. I suppose I could mount a big-ass extruder to it. It does use a Duet board though so I guess there's some commonality.

My PrintNC CNC router:

It's mostly a ThreeDesign PrintNC but with a number of modifications by myself. For starters the PrintNC usually runs LinuxCNC but I wanted to use a Duet because at the end of the day it's only a router. Not like it's a 5-axis mill.

Oh, and it's water-cooled. Yes, using off-the-shelf PC WC parts.

Soldato
Not really 3D printing but some parts of it are 3D printed. I suppose I could mount a big-ass extruder to it. It does use a Duet board though so I guess there's some commonality.

My PrintNC CNC router:

It's mostly a ThreeDesign PrintNC but with a number of modifications by myself. For starters the PrintNC usually runs LinuxCNC but I wanted to use a Duet because at the end of the day it's only a router. Not like it's a 5-axis mill.

Oh, and it's water-cooled. Yes, using off-the-shelf PC WC parts.

WOW... that is epic :eek:

Did you make that awesome control as well?

Whish I had the skill to do something like that.

Don
Partially, yes. The pendant is off-the-shelf but I had to build a setup to communicate with the Duet. This required an Arduino. The display on the pendant is mine, yes.

Associate
This is the CNC I use at work.

What software are you using? for design, tool paths etc?

Would be good to maybe have separate additive and subtractive forums?

Associate
Hey all, I know @deuse has a CR-6SE but does anyone else?

I wonder if @deuse and those that do can post a picture of the control board wiring both the stock board and a BTT CR-6SE board if that's what you have.

Many thanks,

James.

EDIT

Specifically how the Z endstop/probe etc is wired and how many wires it has.

Soldato
Hey all, I know @deuse has a CR-6SE but does anyone else?

I wonder if @deuse and those that do can post a picture of the control board wiring both the stock board and a BTT CR-6SE board if that's what you have.

Many thanks,

James.

EDIT

Specifically how the Z endstop/probe etc is wired and how many wires it has.

https://damsteen.nl/blog/2020/11/25/how-to-btt-skr-cr6-installation

The first BTT V1 board had problems.
There is a better version, but BTT never change it the version number.

Best firmware for it is this one https://github.com/CR6Community/Marlin/releases/tag/v2.0.7.3-cr6-community-release-6
Hope that helps

Associate
Back
Top Bottom