Road Cycling

Soldato
Looking for a little advice regarding wheel rim to frame clearance...

With the different rim widths available what would you deem an acceptable wheel rim to frame clearance?

For example; My disc brake bike with a 29mm wide wheel rim (not including tyre) my clearance between the frame and rim would come in at around 5mm each side. Uncertain if this is too tight.

Soldato
Tyre size makes a difference too. One brands 28mm will be quite tight then the same size for another brand will appear ok.

Hey Th0nt, yea I'm looking at using a 25mm so that shouldn't be an issue as it'll sit flush with the rim. It's just the clearance of the rim to the frame that I'm unsure about.

Soldato
I shouldn't be amazed any more, but went from this yesterday -

f0Q44rq.jpg

To this for the 80 mile Ware's Cambridge Sportive this morning -

Still, it was my longest ride yet and I didn't feel too bad at the end of it, despite chasing much faster riders than me for the first 55 miles of it. Definitely a 100 mile ride is due this year, likely the Herts 100 in August.

Soldato
Same sort of weather here today. Went a walk with the mrs and it was blue skies and a bit chilly in the shade but on the drive home as you climb higher and higher we got massssive hailstones.

To be cold tomorrow but I'm going for winter kit and chance it.

Soldato
Those look like good roads to ride @AndyCr15, cool video too with the tracking effects.

First TT of the year yesterday so weather was not ideal even if the snow made way for glorious sunshine by my start time. Air temperature of 4c with 20mph NE winds so don’t even want to know what the windchill effect was. :o

Soldato
Thanks guys. I assume you guys are referring to the stabilisation. It makes it rather odd looking, like you're using a gimbal, but it's just the GoPro 9 doing its stabilisation. It's great for dead ahead video, but if you try and pan for some scenery, it does look robotic and rather odd...

Soldato
Those look like good roads to ride @AndyCr15, cool video too with the tracking effects.

First TT of the year yesterday so weather was not ideal even if the snow made way for glorious sunshine by my start time. Air temperature of 4c with 20mph NE winds so don’t even want to know what the windchill effect was. :o

That must have been hell in a skinsuit! I had one a few years back and it started at 0c and finished on top of a wide open hill. packed a bin liner in my frame box thing to put on after as I knew the ride back to the start was a good 15 minutes. It's fine once you're racing, but everything else is just hell!

Soldato
I planned a north/south ride for Sunday morning. Headed north from home which was a complete slog into the headwind. Turned the "corner" to head for home and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, motored along with a load of segment PRs.

On a different note, when I ordered the Veloskin chamois cream, I also got a tin of their recovery gel. I thought I'd used some (I need to move the saddle forward on the winter bike as I'm sitting on the nose too much, so get a bit sore). Oh boy :eek: :eek: It certainly wakes things up down below!

Veloskin said:
To avoid surprises with this product, please apply a small amount to your arm or back of your hand to see how you react.

Menthol - increases blood flow to the skin to speed up healing

That explains a lot!

Soldato

Look good on that bike. Better position than I have on mine! I have the same era P3C, same colour and everything.

I’m sure you can find a few more watts in those legs!

Associate
So I’ve started using a wahoo tickr and to my surprise, I’m hovering around 170-180 bpm. This doesn’t feel right, I don’t feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest the whole ride and feel fairly fine after such efforts.

yesterday, it seemed fine until a third of the way through and my heart rate jumped up to 180 and stayed around there. Is there a calibration step I am missing by any chance?

Soldato
HR is all pretty personal. I could happily sit at 170-180 for an hour. 205bpm is when I'm real gassed though did a TT for 30 mins at 199bpm once. That was a little over-exerted. Should have started much lower.

If the HR isn't reacting to change then possibly a low battery or not enough moisture on the pads. I find when mine is low on battery the HR will get very steppy. i.e. it stays at 170bpm and then down to 165bpm for many seconds at a time without fluctuating.

Associate
So it could be right? I don’t feel gassed around 170. Beyond 190 I’m blowing a bit.

Will just keep an eye on it. It might come down as I get fitter (seriously unfit at the moment)

Back
Top Bottom