MBP 2020 Battery Service?

Associate
I have have a MBP 2020, was purchased in July last year and as of lately the machine holds zero charge. Your lucky if you get 2hrs out of it. The laptop is always plugged in as just the nature of the work I do its needs to be connected to power 90% of the time but obviously I do use it as a laptop away from a power source. So for a machine that isn't even a year ld I do not believe it should be this bad, it only has 120 odd cycles.

So what should I do, get in touch with Apple?

I have tried clearing the SMC and I was going to try the recalibrate technique but my understanding is that modern batteries should be able to be connected to the power source all the time without degrading battery performance?

Associate
OP
Am I right in saying that having it connected to a power source most of the time should not degrade the battery?

The machine is my only machine and is my main work horse for day to day work as well as Doing and streaming, so it gets rattled but thats what I bought it for. Hence why its always connected to mains power, especially when doing hours of streaming.

Permabanned
Am I right in saying that having it connected to a power source most of the time should not degrade the battery?

The machine is my only machine and is my main work horse for day to day work as well as Doing and streaming, so it gets rattled but thats what I bought it for. Hence why its always connected to mains power, especially when doing hours of streaming.

do not tell them that

Associate
OP
Hahaha obviously but thats what the laptop gets used for so if it was to be replaced then am I just in for the same problem again?

Man of Honour
Mine is connected to power all of the time and it's showing as healthy. Apple will replace it without fuss so I wouldn't be concerned.

Soldato
I thought in this day and age laptops could pretty much be left plugged in all the time? I know there should be a bit of common sense about it (like not leaving it plugged in 24hrs a day every day) but within reason battery degradation is confined to the past is it not?

Commissario
I thought in this day and age laptops could pretty much be left plugged in all the time? I know there should be a bit of common sense about it (like not leaving it plugged in 24hrs a day every day) but within reason battery degradation is confined to the past is it not?
Yes.
This battery is faulty, it's as simple as that, the cycle count doesn't matter a jot. As it happens, it looks like it's been getting a charge cycle every couple of days anyway which is nothing out of the ordinary.

Associate
OP
Its booked in for a replacement at the Edinburgh store on Thursday. I am hoping they do it there and then as this is my main machine and gets used for Dj'ing and streaming on a daily basis.

Soldato
Mac repairs are usually 7-14 days in pandemic times (can’t speak for their store but social distancing cut our Mac repair capacity by 75%)

Man of Honour
Its booked in for a replacement at the Edinburgh store on Thursday. I am hoping they do it there and then as this is my main machine and gets used for Dj'ing and streaming on a daily basis.
I'm not sure about the battery, but I had an engineer change my keyboard (and battery) at my house and the process took around 2-3 hours from memory. My Mac however is covered by the enterprise support agreement. I would have thought they'd be able to do it in store in a similar timeframe.

Associate
OP
They have said all the usual about backing it up etc but its just a battery swap out so surely they wont be touciing anything on the SSD?

Soldato
They have said all the usual about backing it up etc but its just a battery swap out so surely they wont be touciing anything on the SSD?

If someone in store trips and smashes your laptop they can give you new hardware, but they can't replace what's on a broken SSD.

Soldato

It's because the battery is integrated into the Top casing (so you'll get the keyboard replaced too) and they'll need to remove the Logicboard (with your data on). As above, if there's an accident or something, then they're covered :)

Associate
OP
So I dropped the mac into the Edinburgh store yesterday and left it with them. I reviewed a call this morning from them explaining that it is a battery fault and that they need to send it to their repair centre. It' will take 2 weeks!!!

Not happy as this is my main work horse and leaves me without my business machine for that length of time. Not ideal.

Permabanned
So I dropped the mac into the Edinburgh store yesterday and left it with them. I reviewed a call this morning from them explaining that it is a battery fault and that they need to send it to their repair centre. It' will take 2 weeks!!!

Not happy as this is my main work horse and leaves me without my business machine for that length of time. Not ideal.

its getting fixed for free no pleasing some folk hey

Back
Top Bottom