How to securely recycle or dispose of old phone handsets

Capodecina
Soldato
I have about five old phones to get rid of. Maybe more. I don't want to just throw them away because they must have a load of personal data on them.

I can't access most of them since I've forgotten the codes/patterns.

Is there a way I can do this for free? Shall I just take a sledgehammer to them?

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I normally reformat my old phones and then sell them off. Make sure to remove any SD cards as well.

There are a couple that I have kept as spares though, including my Galaxy SII which I use as an MP3 player as it has a headphone jack.

I would love to reformat but I've forgotten the codes to get in to most of them. I used to use my old Lumia as a wireless-only device until the screen broke for a second time rendering it useless.

BFH should do it!

You must have several.

Caporegime
I have two dud phones with broken screens.
By broken, I mean illegible

Is it best just to keep these?
As the data is still there and could be accessed?

Soldato
I was just about to create a thread on this as i've a few phones to get rid of from various family members.

Loads of websites to sell old phones, but is there anywhere that just takes them for free to recycle? Whether locally (county durham area) or via post.

They're not worth selling and some have data on, but are stuck in a boot loop and i've given up on them.

It seems wasteful to just throw them away.

Soldato
Apple will accept any mobile phone (dumb even) or computerised component / waste for free recycling.

obviously there is always a small risk of the device ending up in the wrong hands, same as any company.
Free recycling is processed in England though for what it’s worth, and recently an employee was caught “stealing” the damaged phones and was both fired and criminal charges.

if you can, make sure they’re erased etc as a standard practice and I wouldn’t worry at all.

Associate
Big bonfire praying to the electronic god's to cleanse them. Or on a more boring option as someone said hardware/recovery reset ;)

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Apple will accept any mobile phone (dumb even) or computerised component / waste for free recycling.

obviously there is always a small risk of the device ending up in the wrong hands, same as any company.
Free recycling is processed in England though for what it’s worth, and recently an employee was caught “stealing” the damaged phones and was both fired and criminal charges.

if you can, make sure they’re erased etc as a standard practice and I wouldn’t worry at all.

I think this is probably the best way to go.

Do you have a link with any more info? If not I'll just look into it myself.

Associate
I have about five old phones to get rid of. Maybe more. I don't want to just throw them away because they must have a load of personal data on them.

I can't access most of them since I've forgotten the codes/patterns.

Is there a way I can do this for free? Shall I just take a sledgehammer to them?

Is there any worth to the phones, if so maybe weigh them in at CEX. Even if it's only a fiver a phone it's still 25 quid.

Can see your issue though with erasing personal though if you can't access them - I'd usually do a full master reset before selling anything.

Back
Top Bottom