Fuji X Series

Man of Honour
Indeed! so I'm still confused. In T mode, with a 30 second shutter, if I notch the F stop down to 2 the screen turns white. That's always been my problem with long exposures. I bought a ND filter to help with the sunsets, and it does, but obviously when it's pitch black, it's no use (in theory!).

Associate
Indeed! so I'm still confused. In T mode, with a 30 second shutter, if I notch the F stop down to 2 the screen turns white. That's always been my problem with long exposures. I bought a ND filter to help with the sunsets, and it does, but obviously when it's pitch black, it's no use (in theory!).

A 30 second exposure at F2 is letting in a lot of light. If you're getting horrendously over exposed shots using those settings in total darkness than that's a bit strange but don't underestimate how hard it can be to block light out, if you use a faster shutter speed or smaller aperture, do things recover then?

Man of Honour
At F22, yes, it's acceptable. But about middle of the road it begins to whiten to the point where the screen is bright white. I'll have to have a play, but as soon as I turn to F2, regardless of the shutter speed, it whitens. I think I must be doing something wrong.

Man of Honour
if you use a faster shutter speed or smaller aperture, do things recover then?

Just to confirm, in T mode, I am setting the shutter speed using the front command dial, to anywhere between 10-30 seconds. Is that what you mean? F2 is totally out, but half way the screen begins to darken and sat F2 it's the photo I took above.

Man of Honour
Okay, so I tried again tonight. I made a few minor adjustments to the camera and I have this, straight from the camera. Now, I tried a few different shots, that's F2, 20 seconds+ shady white balance, ISO 1600-3200. Is that what it's supposed to be like, or is that pointing towards too much light. This is taken out the back, it's reasonably dark but there is some street lighting behind me. It certainly didn't look that way on the screen when I was taking the shot.

51100336320_4dc4705d3a_b.jpg

Associate
Yep, that definitely looks like light scattering in the moisture in the air. If your local street lamps are sodium or another specific wavelength, you might be able to find a filter, but they're not cheap. I'd recommend finding darker skies before you go that way.

Man of Honour
Okay, that's good to know there's not actually something wrong with the camera. I actually processed it, and was quite surprised how it came out.

51100887718_30228bb1f8_b.jpg

Now, is it artifacting, or is that a cluster of stars at the bottom? Also, there appears to be a shooting star type thing in the middle. I noticed it the other night too. Not visible to the human eye I have to say, so I'm not sure what it is.

Soldato
Now, is it artifacting, or is that a cluster of stars at the bottom? Also, there appears to be a shooting star type thing in the middle. I noticed it the other night too. Not visible to the human eye I have to say, so I'm not sure what it is.
That cluster at the bottom my friend is the open star cluster Pleiades.
I can't make out what you are referring to in the middle. If I look hard enough some of my images have like a long white line (about 1-2cm on screen) and as much as you'd want to believe it's a shooting star it's more often a passing satellite.

In reference to your photo I would say that's what I'd expect given the conditions. Below is one I took back in August which was f2, ISO1000 and 15s shutter - but most importantly bear in mind I live in the countryside so very little light pollution.
The light you can see illuminating the foreground is actually the moon believe it or not.

1RcuffCl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah yes I see now - I honestly have no idea what that is unfortunately.

Just another thing to bear in mind that this past couple of weeks have not been ideal for astro work. The skies only cleared for 3 nights here in NI last week so I made sure I was out for 2 of them but there wasn't much happening - and zero Milky Way action.
I queried it on a local facebook group and was advised by people much more knowledgeable than me on the subject that conditions haven't great. The moon was in a particularly bright phase - even though it hadn't been rising until well after 1am and apparently there has been quite a bit of moisture and volcanic ash in the atmosphere.
My shots last week yielded plenty of stars and pretty much nothing else. Things should improve from this week on although looking at the forecast I'm not expecting clear skies again any time soon!

Soldato
Have any of you used/can recommend a service in the UK to borrow Fuji lenses?

Due to the person limit a friend has asked me to shoot his wedding in June and looking to get my hands on a 56mm 1.4R for a few days. That aside do any of you have experience with this lens? Reviews look pretty good and seems ideal for a wedding shoot paired up with a wider fast prime. I would just splash out and buy it but to be honest I don't think I would use it that much as I rarely shoot in that 50mm range.

Cheers

Soldato
Honestly if it’s available I’d just buy it used and then sell it after. I’ve bought and sold many lenses and they’ve all pretty much held their value - cheaper than renting that’s for sure.

Back
Top Bottom