Diet breaking conundrum

Soldato
This backed in science or your opinion? Serious question...

Was in a couple of books I read on diet and healthy living. If we stored every excess calorie we consumed as fat with high efficiency we would balloon in weight very quickly.
A modest 500 calorie excess would add up to nearly 4 stone in a year (500/3600 * 365) and even most of us that over eat / drink etc don't gain weight anywhere near that quickly so there must be a rate at which calories can be converted to fat. Therefore if you have a huge excess one day, you can't really exceed this maximum cap and the majority will not be absorbed before expulsion.

Constant dieting puts the body into hibernation mode and where it steps down metabolism. A good binge every now and then helps prevent this by demonstrating to the body food is still available in bulk (more in line with our early ancestors who would feast when they found/ caught a food source).

Soldato
Was in a couple of books I read on diet and healthy living. If we stored every excess calorie we consumed as fat with high efficiency we would balloon in weight very quickly.
A modest 500 calorie excess would add up to nearly 4 stone in a year (500/3600 * 365) and even most of us that over eat / drink etc don't gain weight anywhere near that quickly so there must be a rate at which calories can be converted to fat. Therefore if you have a huge excess one day, you can't really exceed this maximum cap and the majority will not be absorbed before expulsion.

Constant dieting puts the body into hibernation mode and where it steps down metabolism. A good binge every now and then helps prevent this by demonstrating to the body food is still available in bulk (more in line with our early ancestors who would feast when they found/ caught a food source).

This backed in science or your opinion? Serious question...

I suppose the diplomatic answer is "neither".

Permabanned
Hi GD. I've been on a diet for 3 whole months and doing really well, but now I have these things and I'm struggling:

PXL-20210406-194603825.jpg

The plan is to melt them down in a cooking vessel and then pour the molten chocolate into ice cube trays, then I'll wrap them in foil and allow myself 1 chunk per day after dinner. The little chocolate balls are already snack sized and I'm already well into the caramel bars at a rate of 3 squares per day.

The questions I have are:

Will the chocolate reset after being melted?
Will they come out of the ice cube trays ok or do I need a release agent of some sort?

Rookie questions but usually chocolate in my possession doesn't last long enough to be considered for anything other than scoffing asap!

A diet is not a short term thing, it is a lifestyle change that lasts forever. If you really are wanting these things so bad then you really need to change your approach. Stop thinking of it as a diet and think of it as your new way of life.

Caporegime
A diet is not a short term thing, it is a lifestyle change that lasts forever. If you really are wanting these things so bad then you really need to change your approach. Stop thinking of it as a diet and think of it as your new way of life.

Meh, Even the Rock gives himself cheat days.

Soldato
Just look at your belly photos. Look long and hard at them.... then go bin the eggs.
Yes, you can have a cheat day and all that, but you are still cheating. It's like killing someone, or committing some other sinful act - Every time you do it makes the next one easier.

As others have said, this is supposed to be a permanent lifestyle change. Bin the eggs, get used to just outright refusing ***** like chocolate, and get on with getting rid of the gut.

Caporegime
Why not eat them, but do some extra exercise that you wouldn't have done otherwise to burn them off?

I can't imagine having a small bit of one every now and then over the course of the next few months will make much difference to anything (as long as you have willpower and don't buy more etc)...Either that or replace any other potentially bad stuff/deserts you were going to eat with the eggs instead.

A diet shouldn't mean never having a treat here and there ever again. Even people with the best looking bodies will have a cheat day here and there.

Capodecina
Soldato
This is lose-lose, OP.

- Eating chocolate will just make you more hungry, so you'll eat more of other stuff too
- You'll feel guilty afterwards
- You may get a taste for chocolate back
- You'll put on weight

Just get rid of them.

There are no such things as "cheat days", you just build different foods into your regular schedule. If it becomes too much bother, don't do it.

Caporegime
Only you know.
One day isn't going to do much damage.

However.. If it breaks your willpower. It is extremely damaging.
Only you know the answer!

Caporegime
However.. If it breaks your willpower. It is extremely damaging.
Only you know the answer!

I think this is the crux of the issue and only the OP can answer it (as it will come down to his willpower)

Eating the eggs on their own likely wont make a big difference long term....it is whether the OP can stop himself buying more once they are gone.

Associate
Just eat them all at once and become functional husky fat like Fedor in his prime.

Or just break little bits and eat, or like Ultimate Warrior used to do break it into little pieces and smell it before throwing it away.

The Rock has monster cheat days but he's also had at least one cosmetic surgery as well to get rid of his moobs.

Eat in moderation whatever you want, but exercise it off.

Soldato
Just look at your belly photos. Look long and hard at them.... then go bin the eggs.
Yes, you can have a cheat day and all that, but you are still cheating. It's like killing someone, or committing some other sinful act - Every time you do it makes the next one easier.

As others have said, this is supposed to be a permanent lifestyle change. Bin the eggs, get used to just outright refusing ***** like chocolate, and get on with getting rid of the gut.
Pics of your gut for inspiration pls

Soldato

Whoever wrote that has no idea what they’re talking about.

Signed, MNU certified nutritionist.

Soldato
Signed, MNU certified nutritionist.

Q10. Are any of the MNU Certifications accredited by a national governing body?
No. We want to be very clear about this and why we have made the conscious decision not to be accredited.

If you want to be a dietitian and work in hospitals, go and do a dietetics degree, it’s as simple as that. This course will qualify you as a nutritionist/nutrition consultant and allow you to be insurable to practice what you are taught.

Q23. How will this course help me have a career in nutrition?
The type of course you do will very much depend on the exact route you want to take. If you want to work in hospitals then you will need to take the route that leads to becoming a Registered Dietitian. If you want to apply for a specific job, it’s worth looking at the requirements on the job description. However, if you want to work for yourself or have a job and want to increases your knowledge in the area, these are the benefits of doing the MNU Certification:

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for your responses. It's interesting how many people mention the psychological side of eating and dieting, which I totally agree with. I was brought up to clear my plate and would get told off for not doing so, something I continue to do. To combat this I have a smaller circular dinner plate for my meals, different from the fancy big square ones everyone else in the house eats from. Smaller portions = less food to not let go to waste by not eating.

As an FYI I was 15 stone at Christmas time, and started dieting on 02/01/21. I'm now 13stone 7lb, but the weight loss is slowing. I'm on 1900 calories or below per day. I just need to keep the diet going until it gets warm enough to start cycling again and once I'm burning off extra calories I should start losing at a faster rate, my target is 12.5 stone.

I've stopped having desserts after dinner but like a little bit of chocolate, I don't have a particularly sweet tooth and am more of a savoury guy, but I'm also very greedy and will eat anything put in front of me.

I put my foot down at Easter and told family I don't want any Easter chocolate, but still got given these 3 eggs (1st world problems). My missus is a feeder, and while she's under 9 stone herself, she buys so much food it's unbelievable. Every Easter she makes "Easter nests" out of breakfast cereal, chocolate and Cadbury mini eggs. This Easter I counted 70! Pic below of the remaining ones she's not yet been able to give away, yes there's so many they're even filling up the salad spinner:

PXL-20210407-132115948.jpg

I told her that this year I'm not going to eat a single one, and I haven't.

So I'll melt down this chocolate, do the maths and pour them into chunks of about 50-75 calories, which is less than a bar of chocolate but enough for a treat after dinner.

I appreciate the comments, both humorous and serious :)

Back
Top Bottom