BT/EE Full Fibre to the Home Services

Soldato
OP
I've just had mine installed on the EE Fibre Max 100 plan. Getting 107.91 down and 19.31 up.

I'll post some pictures later.

Is anyone here using the EE or BT router? My EE router appears to have been provided incorrect login details, using my existing firewall and it gives me the same speeds as the EE router.

Soldato
Update: 4th engineer came out today. I explained the only issue was dl speed (ul speed now uncapped and over 100). He checked it using his own laptop, they always seem to use fast.com to check speeds and it was consistently in the 600s which tbh was as high as I've ever seen it, however, he was adamant something was wrong as it should be consistently 800+.

He checked the line and found no faults. He changed the ONT box, he changed the wiring outside the house from the external box, he tried new ethernet cables, did everything and still... dl speed in the 5-600s. I'm happy at this stage for him to just report his findings back to EE but he isn't ready to give up. He rang a department higher up and went sat in his van, they did some line checks etc. He had to give up in the end as there was an issue with their test servers, he wanted to show a 1 gig speed from their own test servers therefore eliminating themselves as the cause of the slow speed and thus pass it back to EE. Was here for almost an hour and a half and was insisting they need to find out why its not hitting max speeds when its a 1 gig line they've installed. He's coming back tomorrow at 4.30pm to run the speed checks again.

EE arent happy until the line shows full speeds as they are providing this service to customers via BT hence why they keep sending Openreach engineers out to me. BT want to show me a one gig line up and running via their test servers to demonstrate the line itself is fine and pass it back to EE, hence the back and forth.

Doesn't bother me tbh as the line itself is solid, pings are good, its more than fast enough for me. I'll leave EE and BT going at it.

Soldato
Update: 4th engineer came out today. I explained the only issue was dl speed (ul speed now uncapped and over 100). He checked it using his own laptop, they always seem to use fast.com to check speeds and it was consistently in the 600s which tbh was as high as I've ever seen it, however, he was adamant something was wrong as it should be consistently 800+.

He checked the line and found no faults. He changed the ONT box, he changed the wiring outside the house from the external box, he tried new ethernet cables, did everything and still... dl speed in the 5-600s. I'm happy at this stage for him to just report his findings back to EE but he isn't ready to give up. He rang a department higher up and went sat in his van, they did some line checks etc. He had to give up in the end as there was an issue with their test servers, he wanted to show a 1 gig speed from their own test servers therefore eliminating themselves as the cause of the slow speed and thus pass it back to EE. Was here for almost an hour and a half and was insisting they need to find out why its not hitting max speeds when its a 1 gig line they've installed. He's coming back tomorrow at 4.30pm to run the speed checks again.

EE arent happy until the line shows full speeds as they are providing this service to customers via BT hence why they keep sending Openreach engineers out to me. BT want to show me a one gig line up and running via their test servers to demonstrate the line itself is fine and pass it back to EE, hence the back and forth.

Doesn't bother me tbh as the line itself is solid, pings are good, its more than fast enough for me. I'll leave EE and BT going at it.

I swear someone on these forums had similar. Can't remember which FTTP package ity was, but their DL speeds was substantially lower than the theoretical max on that package. After numerous escalations, call outs etc. it turned out the infrastructure at the exchange the FTTP connects to wasn't sufficient to supply the speeds across the people connected to it. I don't know the details of how it all works, but the upshot is eventually (Zen) were able to sort with Openreach that there needed to be an upgrade of something at the exchange. After this, speeds were resolved. I'll try and find the thread.

I think it was Housey having the issue in this thread

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/fttp-thoughts.18814496/page-4

Soldato
^ thanks for that, just sat and read the whole thread. It does seem to be an almost identical situation albeit we are 3 years on from the above and the speeds are faster now. The issue itself and the constant back and forth between EE and BT, trying to eliminate themselves as the cause and send it back over to the other is where I currently am.

Openreach engineer came today to try and finish off from yesterday but again he was unable to test via their servers so resorted to ringing EE to double check everything is in order with the profile etc. In the end they said they'll issue me a new router to try so we can eliminate that, he said if the issue remains than EE will simply send it back to BT and it will be passed to someone higher up because they've pretty much exhausted all avenues at his level.

Man of Honour
New router? lol. Hasn’t it been tested directly from the ONT?

I’m so glad I’ve gone with Zen for faults like this.

Soldato
Unless he did it while I was momentarily out of the room, I honestly haven't seen ANY of the engineers test directly from ONT. He tried different ports on the router and different ethernet cables, even changed the ONT box to a new one and all the wiring etc.

The guy at EE will be calling me on Monday anyway when he's back in work, he will be checking the engineers notes and then coming back to me. They've already taken the first payment which was quite hefty, its the first monthly plus the installation charge. I wonder what % I should ask to be refunded? We are 2 weeks in now since installation, around 8 calls to EE, 2 failed call backs, 4 engineer visits... I'd ask to switch to a ~500/100 service instead as its been demonstrated I can get this consistently but they only offer 300 next which is a third of the speed for only a few pound less a month.

Heard nothing but good things about Zen, my cousin is a manager there, I'm sure he works in Rochdale, he's been there for many years. Only reason I went with EE was due to the discount for being a mobile customer. I'll wait and see what they say first.

Soldato
Update: New router was a total waste of time as expected, no difference in dl speeds but interestingly upload speeds now capped at approx 50/55. The person at EE who's been trying to resolve this for me called me an hour ago, I explained the new router does not go above 55 on uploads after multiple test runs on multiple sites, he's as baffled as ever but advised I switch back to the old router - already done mate. Uploads back to 110+ as soon as the ood router was plugged back in. Some poor customer will end up with this router thinking 50/55 uploads are the best he can get :/ anyway, not really my issue.

In the end, despite EE having it in their contract that 450 dl is the min speed to expect on the 900 package, we agreed I'm not getting what I signed up for so he was happy to leave the speeds as they are and offer me £10 discount on my monthlys which I accepted. If I decided to leave he would have refund me fully but I didn't see the point as other providers are more expensive and I've had enough with engineer visits.

Soldato
OP
Do you know whether you dealt with second or third line support at EE?

I had an issue with my FTTC connection and noise on the phone line with EE back in 2015. Despite a number of Openreach visits, new routers, cables, filters etc... Issue was not resolved.

I recorded many of my phone calls and let all the staff know that I am doing this, eventually I gave up and managed to find the email addresses of many heads of departments at EE and sent them an email along with one of the many calls. Within 2 days I got a call from a 3rd line engineer who listened to what I had to say and got the issue resolved with a final Openreach visit to the cabinet in the street.

I don't believe the first line support people are well versed to troubleshoot issues other than going through the obvious.

Soldato
It did get escalated higher up to an outbound only department within EE, it basically goes to them if an issue is unresolved after 2 engineer visits within a 30 day period. I had 3 engineer visits in 3 days so it was passed to them and to be fair, and the guy dealing with it did call me back every time he said he would and he was the one in contact with Openreach directly. In the end his conclusion was that Openreach are offering a service they can't always deliver.

The fact EE denied there was an upload cap of 20 initially and both sides just blamed the other, and now this new router is very clearly capped at 50/55 for uploads, doesn't fill me with much confidence but as more customers jump on to fttp, these issues will get more apparent. Atm most their tech support employees haven't a clue.

Back
Top Bottom