• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Disappointing to read all these issues, mainly about the controller. It's one of the two main things you simply can't **** up if you are developing a games console, and Sony, along with Nintendo, are ******* it up royal.

Even hearing complaints about the fan noise, something that was supposed to have been massively improved upon over the ps4/pro.

Worse still, the stock issues continue so getting a replacement might not be so quick and easy. Might wait until the inevitable revision before picking one up, never been a fan of being a beta tester and I feel the system needs more, newer games, though I appreciate big blockbuster games take time to make.

Soldato
Disappointing to read all these issues, mainly about the controller. It's one of the two main things you simply can't **** up if you are developing a games console, and Sony, along with Nintendo, are ******* it up royal.

Even hearing complaints about the fan noise, something that was supposed to have been massively improved upon over the ps4/pro.

Worse still, the stock issues continue so getting a replacement might not be so quick and easy. Might wait until the inevitable revision before picking one up, never been a fan of being a beta tester and I feel the system needs more, newer games, though I appreciate big blockbuster games take time to make.

No - they aren't.
Why are we still assuming that there are "loads of issues" based on some forums?
We are now in April, based off the last sales figures from Sony, we must be nearing 6m PS5's currently in the wild. Let's just assume that only 10% of those 6m console owners also bought a second controller, that means there are in the region of 6.6m controllers.
So just how many issues have you read about? Do you think it's 66k issues or 1%?
If you extrapolate from all the issues you've read about on all the forums you frequent, do you think 30k people are saying they have had issues with their controllers? (we're into 0.5% now).

It's exactly the same with "Rest Mode" and "External Hard Drives". If you believe everything you read on forums, especially Reddit you'd believe that the vast majority of consoles have had issues.
The truth, as always, is a vocal minority are having problems, but I can guarantee the "fail rate" will be around the expected 1%.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Only issue I have is audio loss when playing UHD discs.

Can’t work out if the problem is the PS5 or my LG C9. Audio works fine in the disc menu’s, drops off during playback itself.

Soldato
Only issue I have is audio loss when playing UHD discs.

Can’t work out if the problem is the PS5 or my LG C9. Audio works fine in the disc menu’s, drops off during playback itself.

I watched Back to the Future UHD today and had no audio loss on sound bar connected to C9 via Earc. Have you tried a better hdmi lead the one that comes with the PS5 is pretty crap.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I watched Back to the Future UHD today and had no audio loss on sound bar connected to C9 via Earc. Have you tried a better hdmi lead the one that comes with the PS5 is pretty crap.

C9 to Sonos Beam via optical, no eArc.

Not sure if I should be setting it to PCM or Bitstream. If I switch I can get it working but then need to switch back once I quit out of the disc player or there’s no audio in the OS.

Soldato

Not sure if I should be setting it to PCM or Bitstream. If I switch I can get it working but then need to switch back once I quit out of the disc player or there’s no audio in the OS.
I'm using the Beam as well with an LG CX with no issues. EArc not optical. Bitstream (Dolby).

Last edited:
Soldato
Optical is worse than E-Arc and typically only supports Dolby Digital and DTS, not DD+/Atmos/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA etc due to bandwidth limitations. For the same reason, PCM via Optical is usually restricted to stereo.

Optical is quite an old standard now and if you can you'd be much better to use E-Arc or unfortunately you will be stuck with the limitations of Optical, at both ends.

From what you've described, it sounds like you're hitting a format compatibility/audio negotiation issue; especially as when you switch it you get audio. Am guessing you mean switching from PCM to Bitstream? When its in Bitstream mode, you're getting the film's DD/DTS-Core, but as you say then its only getting the disc bitstream, and not OS as well; but when it's switched to PCM, and tries to kick into multichannel, the output isn't capable of handling it.

If you switch the PS5 to stereo (2.0) output, as guessing it may have detected 5.1 compatibility etc, it may resolve it.

Or switch to E-Arc if you can as that will involve more of a handshake and communication on supported standards; compared to optical which is more of a 'dumb' standard with less communication on capabilities. :)

(Of course it doesn't always help, as the HDMI ARC compatibility is sometimes coded wrong on Soundbars, so connected devices think it can handle more formats than it can also...)

Last edited:
Associate

The Sonos Beam can only support Stereo via PCM or Dolby Digital via bitstream. You should set the PS5 to bitstream Dolby Digital in the audio settings then in the dvd playback settings whilst watching a film check that it's set correctly. I've experienced the same issues with DTS Blu-ray with a PS4 and a Beam previously.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Optical is worse than E-Arc and typically only supports Dolby Digital and DTS, not DD+/Atmos/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA etc due to bandwidth limitations. For the same reason, PCM via Optical is usually restricted to stereo.

Optical is quite an old standard now and if you can you'd be much better to use E-Arc or unfortunately you will be stuck with the limitations of Optical, at both ends.

From what you've described, it sounds like you're hitting a format compatibility/audio negotiation issue; especially as when you switch it you get audio. Am guessing you mean switching from PCM to Bitstream? When its in Bitstream mode, you're getting the film's DD/DTS-Core, but as you say then its only getting the disc bitstream, and not OS as well; but when it's switched to PCM, and tries to kick into multichannel, the output isn't capable of handling it.

If you switch the PS5 to stereo (2.0) output, as guessing it may have detected 5.1 compatibility etc, it may resolve it.

Or switch to E-Arc if you can as that will involve more of a handshake and communication on supported standards; compared to optical which is more of a 'dumb' standard with less communication on capabilities. :)

(Of course it doesn't always help, as the HDMI ARC compatibility is sometimes coded wrong on Soundbars, so connected devices think it can handle more formats than it can also...)

Understood. Sadly the TV only has 4 x HDMI ports and I’m using them all.

It’s the only reason I ended up using optical in the first place but with an imminent house move on the way and a massive list of other things to spend money on I’m not looking to get an AV receiver.

Besides, I’d need one that supported 120Hz passthrough and they’d be the pricier models too I’m sure.

I’ll have another play around with it but it’s been disappointing as I put off buying a UHD player as I knew the PS5 had one and I couldn’t justify a stand-alone player for the little amount of UHD Blu-Ray’s that I’ll likely own for now.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah I agree too tbh. The black ones I had also have some cut outs at the front which you can see and look a bit pants. Hopefully Sony will release some official black sides at some point.

Somehow I doubt it or they would have done it by now. The white theme seems to be the main branding. Unless they do it with a slim model but white still seems to be their main brand look with this.

Back
Top Bottom