New AMD Chipset coming soon - X570S (Passive X570)

Associate
Not a new chipset really is it? Same one, but more efficient.
The question surely how did they manage to make it more efficient?
Maybe they sent from GF's 14nm to GF's 12nm+ like the Zen to Zen+ difference.
The X570 chipset was rumoured to be the same 14nm IO die from Epyc.
The IO die for the EPYC Rome processors is built on Global Foundries' 14nm process, however the consumer processor IO dies (which are smaller and contain fewer features) are built on the Global Foundries 12nm process.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14525/amd-zen-2-microarchitecture-analysis-ryzen-3000-and-epyc-rome
So maybe they have now swapped over to using IO dies from Ryzen?
Also of interest now that Intel have finally joined the PCIe 4.0 club, is whether Z590 is more efficient. In other words, is PCIe 4.0 just power hungry, or was AMD's first 4.0 chipset rushed?

Soldato
I refused to buy x570 just because of the backwards step with chipset fans. I went with the slight compromise of b550 and haven't regretted it.

Soldato
At this time X570 is a largely pointless chipset anyway with just a couple of extra perks over B550 which 99% of the people buying the boards will never use.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I sincerely hope the refreshed boards bring passive cooling to the chipset, if only to stop everybody crying about inconsequential tripe as a tiny fan that never spins up.

its so inconsequential that they made it happen. what does that tell you ? its a real thing and stopped many buying the boards. so they made it reality . great move tbh.

Associate
my X570 chipset is passively cooled*, so not sure what the issue is.

*as in the fan doesn't come on, apart from 2 seconds during boot.

Sounds like more engineering/manufacturing costs added to produce something that wasn't needed. Guess who's paying for it?

Soldato
If motherboards had been designed by engineers instead of marketroids, X570 could be easily cooled passively most of the time.

Associate
My x570 has the chipset fan set to silent mode in BIOS. It never gets anywhere near the temperature required to turn the fan on, but I suppose it's a handy backup.

Back
Top Bottom