Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Guys does Virgin support IPv6 yet?..I was wondering what the best option for my third party router, since the SH3 is in modem mode.

FYI my old router is in IPv4 mode only, I'm getting a new router tomorrow (the old one is over 5 years) so was wondering if I should leave IPv6 enabled or disabled and best setting.

Soldato
Guys does Virgin support IPv6 yet?..I was wondering what the best option for my third party router, since the SH3 is in modem mode.

FYI my old router is in IPv4 mode only, I'm getting a new router tomorrow (the old one is over 5 years) so was wondering if I should leave IPv6 enabled or disabled and best setting.
No, there's no IPv6 support on VM. They trialled it (last year iirc) but no news of a rollout yet.

Associate
Can anyone tell me if there is any human support available at VM these days? Calling them just refers you to their website.. trying to help a family member with an issue with their Tivo box keeps randomly going off and just having a solid blue light.
Thanks

Soldato
I installed my new router the TP Link AX20 with my SH3, it went fairly smooth, I had no connection at first, so rebooted the SH3 and made sure my ethernet cable was fully seated in LAN4 for my power adaptor line, working fine now, seems a lot snappier then my old VR900 router/modem with SH3. Quick setup seems to work fine for settings, just make sure you check all settings after in advanced section.

VR900 was over five years old so I was thinking of upgrading it at the time.

Happy with my cheap purchase :) .

Anyway the AX20/AX1800 works great with Virgin Superhub 3, just a heads up from me :) .
I did not buy the AX50 due to overheating issues I heard with the intel chipset it has.

I always preferred broadcom chipsets, they seem to run cooler and more stable in general.

Soldato
I have never had any issues with the SH3.

Wifi is fine for multiple devices (2 x Phones, 1 x tablet, 2 x NowTV boxes, 1 x printer and 1 x laptop), 3 wired cables (2 x PCs and my work laptop)

I do live in a bungalow so most likely helps as all on 1 level

Soldato

Wifi is fine for multiple devices (2 x Phones, 1 x tablet, 2 x NowTV boxes, 1 x printer and 1 x laptop), 3 wired cables (2 x PCs and my work laptop)

I never had issues with my old VR900 with SH3, the blue LEDs had become really dim so that was one reason I upgraded, btw I'm on the third floor and router and modem are on first floor.

We have a lot of devices three wifi laptops, wired gaming PC via powerline adaptors, wired Android 4K TV via network switch, three phones, Linux PC, XBOX, PS4 , tablet, printer etc ...
Modem mode with SH3 is far better then SH3 on its own, better wifi range, better chipset, more router settings etc.

Anyway still working great here, websites seem snappier as well speed wise loading, still rock solid :) .
Side Note: The AX20 runs a lot cooler then my old VR900.

Last edited:
Soldato

The issue with VM is load, I think. Especially now they had to offload icmp processing to the WiFi chip to try to mitigate the Puma6 issues. You only have a couple of WiFi devices. I could consider our network small, and we have a laser printer, 2 MacBook Pros, eight iPhones, two iPad Pros, an iPad Mini, two Fire TVs, media player boxes, various little IoT devices and so on. That's well over 20 devices, plus guests on the segregated/isolated Guest WiFi. Good luck using a lowest-bidder all in one for that. I recently jumped from Ubiquiti to Ruckus, no issues. Everything that can be wired, of course is (again about 20 devices).

Man of Honour
The issue with VM is load, I think. Especially now they had to offload icmp processing to the WiFi chip to try to mitigate the Puma6 issues. You only have a couple of WiFi devices. I could consider our network small, and we have a laser printer, 2 MacBook Pros, eight iPhones, two iPad Pros, an iPad Mini, two Fire TVs, media player boxes, various little IoT devices and so on. That's well over 20 devices, plus guests on the segregated/isolated Guest WiFi. Good luck using a lowest-bidder all in one for that. I recently jumped from Ubiquiti to Ruckus, no issues. Everything that can be wired, of course is (again about 20 devices).
That network is tiny in terms of business use but large home use imo. He is using 7 devices which I'd say is about average for home use. I only have 1-2 devices using wifi myself (SH2ac) :)

Man of Honour
Anyone else having issues tonight?

It’s getting ridiculous now, can’t remember the last week without an outage and my bqm confirms this.

20min+ outages every hour for the last 10!

Soldato
No issues here, i did forget to ad the consoles on this which are using WiFi and they are a Xbox 360 and a switch.

there is only three people here as well so not a large household.

Back
Top Bottom