Savings Account

Associate
OP
so many different views and opinions. some people like a friend of mine spent over £7500 on her wedding :eek:. Looking to spend only £2-2.5k lol. Congrats HoneyBadger

Soldato
Depending on when you need the money, I'd be tempted to stick it in an s & s isa. Obviously there is some risk but if the event is some time away there's a good chance you'll do better than a savings account.

Soldato
I've been using NS&I and Premium Bonds for years - the "winnings" are usually better than interest rates.

Never had any issues with withdrawals and currently have a large chunk of money with them across two accounts.

Soldato
I've got about 5k sat doing nothing in savings account but those trustpilot reviews are pretty concerning. I found a calculator which reckons I could expect around 25 quid over 2 years with 2k's worth.

Has anyone actually got a decent return from them?

Soldato
I've got about 5k sat doing nothing in savings account but those trustpilot reviews are pretty concerning. I found a calculator which reckons I could expect around 25 quid over 2 years with 2k's worth.

Has anyone actually got a decent return from them?

There is no decent return, if you put money in a savings account it is so you have some cash which is set aside for various needs or emergencies, depending on your budget/income and circumstances.

You are agreeing to loose to inflation over a long period, for the protection of available cash which cannot go down in value nominally should you need it.

I have figured out how much i want to have available, and that amount has been reached. If my circumstances change, i might increase the amount or decrease it.

Other than that, all money is invested in a S&S ISA, which is where you get decent returns, also i used my savings 1 year ago when the market crashed, and have since built them back up.

So instead of being sacked, and forced to use savings, the government paid me furlough. So obviously, i can invest my savings instead.

But back to premium bonds, the more £ you have, the closer you will be to the 1% return, with £25 being the minimum prize. You could also get nothing for 5 years, or you could win twice in the 1st year.

Edit: Premium bonds are the best savings product on the market right now in the UK. However i need access, and reliability. For me 0.01% with my bank is perfectly fine and i can transfer the money instantly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not fussed about interest rates but have called my bank and it turns out they have an option to limit withdrawals to once per year with no fees up to £5000. So no matter what i do in can't in fact withdraw more than once a year. Stops the potential to dip into it :)

Associate
So I'm looking for a saving account that I cannot withdraw from until I reach a certain amount saved. Does anyone know of a bank or building society that can do this ;)
No idea what amount you want to save, but if it is sufficient for a property deposit, then that may be the best option.

Associate
Just open an ISA Trading 212 and invest everything in a market tracker - v low risk and better returns than a normal savings account.

Plus get some willpower to not withdraw....

or give it to me to hold on to :)

Back
Top Bottom