Council tax

Associate
Went up 5% last time too. Energy up 10%. Food up. Fuel up. Houses up. Everything shrinkflated. Internet up. etc.. you get my point. Literally nothing up 3% or less.

Yes, well people better start to plan now because the next thing going up will be interest rates. History is about to be repeated, like it always has.

Permabanned
Assume most people are subject to the stealth council taxes now, ie garden waste is now £50 a year. Despite paying £2902.38 a year already......

Is this just to get around limits on raising council tax?

delete as appropriate "bloody Brexit/bloody Tories/bloody mismanaged civil service/bloody covid"

Associate
I noticed the Police and Crime Commissioner has increased their costs nearly 7% in my area - its laughable that they can get away with these increases when nothing has improved in terms of services and we have access to more automation etc today than we did 10 years ago when we didn't have a Police and Crime Comissioner

Soldato
Gedling Borough Council +3.16%
Nottinghamshire County Council +4.99%
Nottinghamshire Police & Crime Commissioner +6.53%
Combined Fire Authority +2.95%
Parish Councils (average) +5.21%

Total - including Parishes £1,873.76 (band D) increase of 4.90%
You are paying more than I am, and I live in Herts.

Herts Council - up 2%
General Expense - up 2.8%
Social - up 2%
Special Expense - up 2.7%
P&Cc - up 7.6%

edit: bin charge comes in this year too I think.

Soldato
edit: bin charge comes in this year too I think.

What does the bin charge entail?

It's a slippery slope if councils start reducing frequency of services, or charging outside of council tax for bin collections. It'll just encourage more people to fly tip, or dump waste in public bins.

Caporegime
3.8 percent overall increase for me (Cardiff CC)
Lowest I've seen compared to people I know in England

Up to 1952 for band E per year

Bins for me is
Recycling weekly
Food weekly
General fortnightly
Green bin once a month

Apparently this increase covers 1/3 of a 15mln shortfall. No doubt dying retail will make this worse

Soldato

It's a slippery slope if councils start reducing frequency of services, or charging outside of council tax for bin collections. It'll just encourage more people to fly tip, or dump waste in public bins.

They can't start charging for normal bin collections. That's a core council service which they must provide. Some charge for garden waste bins because that's an additional service which you can opt into.

Soldato

Extra fee for green waste. Everyone currently gets one green bin for 'free' but going forwards its a totally separate chargeable service. I think each additional green bin is already £60 a year...some of the big houses here have 3 or 4.

Soldato
They can't start charging for normal bin collections. That's a core council service which they must provide. Some charge for garden waste bins because that's an additional service which you can opt into.

Oh i would imagine once services start stretching that might be a core service that either severely reduces in frequency (resulting in the same problems i mentioned), or removed entirely.

Extra fee for green waste. Everyone currently gets one green bin for 'free' but going forwards its a totally separate chargeable service. I think each additional green bin is already £60 a year...some of the big houses here have 3 or 4.

We don't have an extra charge for green bins, as they also use them for collecting food waste. I don't know the statistics, but i would have almost expected "green waste" to have been a money maker for councils - turning it all into compost, and most of all not having to pay for landfill.

Caporegime
Oh i would imagine once services start stretching that might be a core service that either severely reduces in frequency (resulting in the same problems i mentioned), or removed entirely.

We don't have an extra charge for green bins, as they also use them for collecting food waste. I don't know the statistics, but i would have almost expected "green waste" to have been a money maker for councils - turning it all into compost, and most of all not having to pay for landfill.

our food goes to a biodigester (I think) but no idea if it makes money. Wonder where green bin goes

If there's one thing to get people riled up, it's talking about bin collections. Had a fair few moans amd rants about missed collections and how full you can fill a bin! :D

Back
Top Bottom