Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
OP
Thems be fighting words! Hey you, let's fight!

I'm actually really annoyed at how awful it turned out to be. The first episode was pretty decent, but it just went downhill after that. In fact, as the season went on it got worse and worse and worse.

Then, just as you think it can't get any worse....this happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4towujqjBQ

Then you realise, we're at rock bottom.....but nope, it gets even worse still with a daft black octopus thing coming out of a rip in space.......and don't get me started on turning Picard into an android.

oh, and the 50p CGI budget they used for the final space battle.

You know, I kinda wish the dominion had won that war.

Associate
I'm actually really annoyed at how awful it turned out to be. The first episode was pretty decent, but it just went downhill after that. In fact, as the season went on it got worse and worse and worse.

Then, just as you think it can't get any worse....this happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4towujqjBQ

Then you realise, we're at rock bottom.....but nope, it gets even worse still with a daft black octopus thing coming out of a rip in space.......and don't get me started on turning Picard into an android.

oh, and the 50p CGI budget they used for the final space battle.

You know, I kinda wish the dominion had won that war.

Oh I won't/can't disagree that there were plenty of silly moments in the show - that episode being by far the low point of the season for me. The space octopus maguffin was also very much eye rolling silly. Just badly thought through. The cgi copy paste I believe they simply ran out of time to get out the door. I've said a couple times in here some of the early episodes got me very interested for how things could pan out, lore and story telling. It did all fizzle out though (expect Data's death scene - that was lovely).

But there were enough good moments to give me some hope they can do a whole season that's satisfying. They've certainly had the time to refine their scripts which seemed to get worse as the last season went on.

I also got the old TNG vibes when the original cast were together, including Data which alone was enough for it to surpass Discovery. That had nothing redeeming going for it apart from sfx and Doug Jones.

Soldato
Oh I won't/can't disagree that there were plenty of silly moments in the show - that episode being by far the low point of the season for me. The space octopus maguffin was also very much eye rolling silly. Just badly thought through. The cgi copy paste I believe they simply ran out of time to get out the door. I've said a couple times in here some of the early episodes got me very interested for how things could pan out, lore and story telling. It did all fizzle out though (expect Data's death scene - that was lovely).

But there were enough good moments to give me some hope they can do a whole season that's satisfying. They've certainly had the time to refine their scripts which seemed to get worse as the last season went on.

I also got the old TNG vibes when the original cast were together, including Data which alone was enough for it to surpass Discovery. That had nothing redeeming going for it apart from sfx and Doug Jones.

As someone who watched some of TNG season one again a while ago it was cringeworthy they were trying so hard to be TOS even down to the short skirts and season two wasn't a great deal better and DS9 for me is unwatchable for the first couple of seasons it only starts to get interesting when the Dominion War gets into its stride.

So many people rubbish shows or turn off instantly if it doesn't hit the ground running its no wonder so much gets cancelled before its barely started.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
As someone who watched some of TNG season one again a while ago it was cringeworthy they were trying so hard to be TOS even down to the short skirts

True. But at least Season One had "Where No One Has Gone Before", "The Battle", "11001001", "Heart of Glory", "The Arsenal of Freedom"...they were definitely trying to break out from behind the Original Series' shadow, and were fortunately granted the time to do so.

and season two wasn't a great deal better

The WGA strike combined with the behind-the-scenes upheaval* pretty much killed Season Two, to be fair.

and DS9 for me is unwatchable for the first couple of seasons it only starts to get interesting when the Dominion War gets into its stride.

We-e-e-ell...

I kinda like a lot of early DS9. The political (and religious) stuff down on Bajor, the feel that the station was a long way outside of the Federation core...there were fewer 'hot trash' episodes in those first two seasons of DS9 than there were in just S2 of TNG IMO.

So many people rubbish shows or turn off instantly if it doesn't hit the ground running its no wonder so much gets cancelled before its barely started.

I get that. And I think ST: Picard shows a lot of promise if they can just improve a bit on the execution. But STD is three seasons in and has shown almost no promise that the deeply-ingrained issues with it are actually getting solved. The plot non-twists, the uncompelling bad guys, the continuity snarls, SMG's bloody whispering...STP shares the first two of those but at least did enough right that they didn't kill it stone dead. The STP showrunners and writers need to sort this stuff for next season.

* - honestly, if any of you haven't watched "Chaos On The Bridge" then you really should.

Last edited:
Associate
You know what, I'm slightly coming around to the idea of Q for an episode.

There's a great nugget of an episode in Q coming to test Picard once more and testing if what is essentially a copy of Picard is the real thing.

Soldato
You know what, I'm slightly coming around to the idea of Q for an episode.

There's a great nugget of an episode in Q coming to test Picard once more and testing if what is essentially a copy of Picard is the real thing.

The show will screw up Q as a character the same way they screwed up Picard.

Soldato
I've been reading rumours that at least some time in season 2 will be spent in the past, it apparently comes from some some comment that Patrick Stewart made recently about Season 2.

The teaser trailer does like to linger on that USS Stargazer model for a bit too and it's pretty clear it's gonna involve time travel from the narrative.

I have my fingers crossed.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I've been reading rumours that at least some time in season 2 will be spent in the past, it apparently comes from some some comment that Patrick Stewart made recently about Season 2.

The teaser trailer does like to linger on that USS Stargazer model for a bit too and it's pretty clear it's gonna involve time travel from the narrative.

I have my fingers crossed.

That'd be good. Especially since, having shown the Stargazer model already in Picard's archive in S1 and this latest teaser, they can't go around altering the shape of the starship now like they did with the notEnterprise in STD. They're stuck with her looking exactly as she did in TNG. Oh, the horror :p

Soldato
Lol, and a 10 episode single story season with some episodes being almost nothing but pure filler is so much better? I'd take the tng format in a heartbeat, this single story bs is just getting tedious.
Yes way better.

Most tv shows follow a single story arc and i prefer that now. I cant enjoy a single 45min story thats rushed out and barely offer any care of significent to the characters

Soldato
Yes way better.

Most tv shows follow a single story arc and i prefer that now. I cant enjoy a single 45min story thats rushed out and barely offer any care of significent to the characters

Most of these stories we're seeing on the new series on streaming services are not (say) ten hours of TV in ten episodes. What we've seen is two or three hours of TV, stretched out to ten episodes, which leads to a lot of filler, and badly paced, mangled storytelling.

I'd take well made episodic TV with characters that matter and progress, over the badly made "single story series" that is shodilly put together, full of politics and intersectionality, with a poorly written story and even worse characters.

Soldato
Most of these stories we're seeing on the new series on streaming services are not (say) ten hours of TV in ten episodes. What we've seen is two or three hours of TV, stretched out to ten episodes, which leads to a lot of filler, and badly paced, mangled storytelling.

I'd take well made episodic TV with characters that matter and progress, over the badly made "single story series" that is shodilly put together, full of politics and intersectionality, with a poorly written story and even worse characters.
You must have watched a fake copy of this series because this series had a great storyline and characters.

I loved it and I ain't kidding

Back
Top Bottom