• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Can you be more specific.

Do you loose fps with this card when turning on Ray Tracing ? Can you even turn on DLSS?
I think every graphics card loses performance when using Ray Tracing. Small improvements to image quality at a very high performance cost.

DLSS is not supported.

I think you should probably buy a Nvidia graphics card if these things are important to you.

Permabanned
I think every graphics card loses performance when using Ray Tracing. Small improvements to image quality at a very high performance cost.

DLSS is not supported.

I think you should probably buy a Nvidia graphics card if these things are important to you.

But look at Cyberpunk. When you turn on DLSS you gain like 25 fps and the game looks better.

If these cards take a significantly larger hit when Ray Tracing is turned on ( like 25fps loss) compared to Nvidia cards, can these cards even be recommended? That's huge fps drops compared to Nvidia.

This is bad to see as a gamer if this is true:eek:

Man of Honour
It really is. Minor image quality improvement for a huge performance cost. Some games even look better with it off.

Until the above changes, it will always be a con in my eyes. Subjective of course, but I see I'm far from the only one with this opinion based off reading the various Cyberpunk thread here.

Like cyberpunk you mean... imo looks awful with RT on.

But look at Cyberpunk. When you turn on DLSS you gain like 25 fps and the game looks better.

If these cards take a significantly larger hit when Ray Tracing is turned on ( like 25fps loss) compared to Nvidia cards, can these cards even be recommended? That's huge fps drops compared to Nvidia.

DLSS is nvidia proprietary tech there will be an AMD alternative that should do the same thing... That's not available yet but should have a similar impact. Truth be told RT running native on almost any card is unplayable on the majority of titles on both team red and team green.

Caporegime

DLSS is nvidia proprietary tech there will be an AMD alternative that should do the same thing... That's not available yet but should have a similar impact. Truth be told RT running native on almost any card is unplayable on the majority of titles on both team red and team green.
Yes, it really does. Every time i look at the Cyberpunk thread and see screenshots showing comparisons, in 90% of cases i come up with the same opinion.

I don't bother sharing that opinion their though as I understand some people love it.

It's subjective, RT so far often looks worse with it enabled. Especially in Cyberpunk. It's like adding unrealistic reflections every where, or playing a game of mirrors.

For now, i just turn RT off because it's not worth the performance cost. I can run with it enabled in many games without a huge performance cost, Godfall, Wow, both of the new COD games, Dirt 5, etc but it's just not worth it IMO.

Permabanned

That's good that you wish AMD will make an alternative, even though not a single game has this alternative. This is a big no no from me.

I disagree , 3 series cards run Ray Tracing just fine. I play in 4k max settings Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk2077 , .....with Ray Tracing on ultra and DLSS on and get above 60fps. DLSS gives you far more fps ( I get 25fps more with DLSS in Cyberpunk2077 ) and even looks just as good or better as without, just a real put off with these AMD cards.

AMD knew about this and did nothing! This plain looks as if AMD is the inferior product and they cost the same?

AMD gotta drop price to reflect this, as I won't buy and in this gpu climate that's never gonna happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's good that you wish AMD will make an alternative, even though not a single game has this alternative. This is a big no no from me.

I disagree , 3 series cards run Ray Tracing just fine. I play in 4k max settings Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk2077 , .....with Ray Tracing on ultra and DLSS on and get above 60fps. DLSS gives you far more fps ( I get 25fps more with DLSS in Cyberpunk2077 ) and even looks just as good or better as without, just a real put off with these AMD cards.

AMD knew about this and did nothing! This plain looks as if AMD is the inferior product and they cost the same?

AMD gotta drop price to reflect this, as I won't buy and in this gpu climate that's never gonna happen.

Thats because DLSS is rubbish compared to native resolution - you do know it downscales to 1080p then upscales the picture? and DXR is used in a handful of games, DXR Shadows are pointless, Control is meh as a game, CP2077 is still broken AND DXR is being turned down by the devs. DXR still isnt ready for mainstream - AMD were right, rasterization is where its at for another gen or 2.

Permabanned
Thats because DLSS is rubbish compared to native resolution - you do know it downscales to 1080p then upscales the picture? and DXR is used in a handful of games, DXR Shadows are pointless, Control is meh as a game, CP2077 is still broken AND DXR is being turned down by the devs. DXR still isnt ready for mainstream - AMD were right, rasterization is where its at for another gen or 2.

Which AAA game uses DXR?

I agree that DLSS was not great in Anthem, I turned it off. But it has improved a lot, and in Cyberpunk 2077 I can't play with it off as it has improved 10 fold, it was that good !

Man of Honour

Its not a wish they have openly said they are making an alternative even given its name. Either way id rather play native than turn any scaling features on. DLSS may be great but whatever way you slice it, its a technology designed to mask the fact the the hardware isn't up to properly doing the job. In the same way you suggest that the AMD card isn't up to the job.

The end of the day the 6000 series pack some very good raster power for traditional rendering, decent enough RT to have a look and imo a better more modern software stack.

DXR is also a shared feature for both NV and AMD as it is part of Microsofts Direct X api.

Permabanned
AMD's first attempt at raytracing is far better than Nvidia's 1st gen surely? Nvidia worked on it for a while decade as well.

How are you playing Cyberpunk2077 ? Without DLSS it runs like crap like 45fps?

I'm getting 89 to 119fps with DLS and some Ray Tracing on at 4k 120Hz with a 3 series card.

Soldato
I thought Cyberpunk was a great game. I had an awesome gaming experience with it and my 6900 XT. Max settings at 3440x1440 ran around 75 FPS. No need for ray tracing, the game looks stunning without it. I would also advise those interested, to ignore the hate for the game, it's not broken running on my AMD system, the occasional floating coffee cup aside. I thoroughly enjoyed my 100+ hours with it.

Permabanned
I thought Cyberpunk was a great game. I had an awesome gaming experience with it and my 6900 XT. Max settings at 3440x1440 ran around 75 FPS. No need for ray tracing, the game looks stunning without it. I would also advise those interested, to ignore the hate for the game, it's not broken running on my AMD system, the occasional floating coffee cup aside. I thoroughly enjoyed my 100+ hours with it.

From what I can see, reviewers are running Cyberpunk2077 with Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB DDR4 3600 ( all top quality cpu and ram) at only 1080p with Ray Tracing and getting 45fps.

4k with the 6900XT would likely run at 10fps with Ray Tracing on and DLSS off. AMD need to step up fast for next gen cards!

https://youtu.be/40fhCeowsfk

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
https://youtu.be/u1T41Xm-y0g

Even reviewers don't recommend the 6900XT card.
From what I can see, reviewers are running Cyberpunk2077 with Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB DDR4 3600 ( all top quality cpu and ram) at only 1080p with Ray Tracing and getting 45fps.

4k with the 6900XT would likely run at 10fps with Ray Tracing on and DLSS off. AMD need to step up fast for next gen cards!

https://youtu.be/40fhCeowsfk
Even the RTX 3070 is beating the 6900XT with Ray Tracing / DLSS on. And the card cost like twice the price of the 3070.

https://youtu.be/sxcX8eUZ-H8

I think you should open your own thread for this sort of debate.

This is an owners thread and not really the correct place for the above.

Thanks.:)

Back
Top Bottom