Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
That might be it. I seem to be more comfortable with faster speech than many people. I often see comments on some of the Youtube channels I watch complaining about the person speaking too fast.

I mean it can be heard at normal speed, it's just clearer if dialed down a bit - I'm not sure if they can do that or not for the jury though?

Bearing in mind, George Floyd was a; already high as a kite when police arrived, then b; swallowed more pills as the police tried to arrest him, is pretty troubling stuff.

I think it's probably extremely likely that the root cause of death here, is drug related - it might have been exasberated by the police restraint, but honestly - with large quantities of drugs like that, I wouldn't be suprised if it's what did most of the damage.

Yup same here - really I think there should be some sort of assault charge for Chauvin - if there is reasonable doubt re: the cause there is still the issue of how Floyd was treated, Chauvin probably deserves to be punished for that.

re: the drugs - interestingly we know - he was already high (or seemed to be) in the store - as noted by the store on the 911 call.

We also know from his two friends that he consumed two pills before the police even arrived. There were two attempts by the store to get him to come back inside and pay for his cigarettes.

This bit is interesting though - his friend Maurice Hall was in the car with him and seemingly both the defence and the prosecution want him to take the stand as a witness - Maurice is actively trying to avoid this by pleading the 5th. Defence/Chauving has a 6th amendment right to call him but he has a 5th amendment right to not incriminate himself.

Importantly there is the question of whether he supplied the drugs to Floyd (and possible charges there) and also if he had and they were the cause of death then there is also the possibility under MN law of a murder charge for him (politically though that doesn't seem realistic at all though).

Can't find the video I saw yesterday but a USlawyer went through the options - firstly judge could get defence/prosecution and Maurice Hall's lawyers to thrash out what they intend to cover. Secondly, they could get a statement or something to avoid him testifying directly. Thirdly the prosecution could offer him immunity if he testifies (they probs won't want to do this - not necessarily because they're actually going to charge him but because it probably helps the defence more) lastly though the Judge could go for a nuclear option of pausing the trail until the prosecution sorts something out with Hall to enable him to testify.

Incidentally - Floyd's wonderful alleged drug dealing "friend" who was in the car with him currently appears to be in custody right now on domestic violence charges. Does seem odd how they're trying to portray Floyd as turning his life around when he's handing over forged banknotes and seemingly not caring when the store points this out, high on drugs, hanging out with a drug dealer/violent individual etc.. I appreciate he isn't on trial here and died in horrible circumstances - the narrative about him being some sort of hero here or that this incident with the forged bill could happen to anyone is just utter bunk - most people would be apologetic when a store points it out if it were an accident - they'd not go back to sitting behind the wheel of a car and proceed to consume more drugs.

Soldato
Can't find the video I saw yesterday but a USlawyer went through the options - firstly judge could get defence/prosecution and Maurice Hall's lawyers to thrash out what they intend to cover. Secondly, they could get a statement or something to avoid him testifying directly. Thirdly the prosecution could offer him immunity if he testifies (they probs won't want to do this - not necessarily because they're actually going to charge him but because it probably helps the defence more) lastly though the Judge could go for a nuclear option of pausing the trail until the prosecution sorts something out with Hall to enable him to testify.

Incidentally - Floyd's wonderful alleged drug dealing "friend" who was in the car with him currently appears to be in custody right now on domestic violence charges. Does seem odd how they're trying to portray Floyd as turning his life around when he's handing over forged banknotes and seemingly not caring when the store points this out, high on drugs, hanging out with a drug dealer/violent individual etc.. I appreciate he isn't on trial here and died in horrible circumstances - the narrative about him being some sort of hero here or that this incident with the forged bill could happen to anyone is just utter bunk - most people would be apologetic when a store points it out if it were an accident - they'd not go back to sitting behind the wheel of a car and proceed to consume more drugs.

Yeah I watched all of that and have a similar recollection, I'm not sure where it was left but I imagine we'll see more soon.

Also just watched the special agent testifying regarding some of the stuff to do with the restraint, and defence played back the section where Floyd says "I ate too many drugs" and he agreed with the defence that's what he said.. I was surprised when some of the other witnesses didn't hear it, it's pretty clear lol.

Soldato
Yeah I watched all of that and have a similar recollection, I'm not sure where it was left but I imagine we'll see more soon.

Also just watched the special agent testifying regarding some of the stuff to do with the restraint, and defence played back the section where Floyd says "I ate too many drugs" and he agreed with the defence that's what he said.. I was surprised when some of the other witnesses didn't hear it, it's pretty clear lol.
The other interpretation is "I aint took any drugs". I couldn't make it out myself but nevertheless he did.

Here's what a lethal dose of fentanyl looks like.

https://cco.ndu.edu/Media/Images/igphoto/2002090915/

Associate
If the result of the trial is anything other than throwing the book at this guy the riots will be huge and nation if not world wide. Not saying that should sway the trial, but how can it not, any jury will be biased by the news of the last year.

Soldato
It’s not looking good for the prosecution. For every good point the prosecution makes, the defence makes 5. The def lawyer doesn’t even have to be good, he just has to convey reality in a calm and clear way.

Meanwhile the MSM are priming the public to think a conviction is assured so when the opposite happens they’ll have plenty of riots to report on.

Soldato
That might be it. I seem to be more comfortable with faster speech than many people. I often see comments on some of the Youtube channels I watch complaining about the person speaking too fast. One channel in particular (Dark Docs) routinely has hundreds of comments about how the narrator is speaking ludicrously quickly and they can't understand what he's saying at all. There's the hyperbole that's to be expected in Youtube comments, but there are a lot of comments about his speech being incomprehensibly fast. It's fine for me. Faster than usual for English, but nowhere near fast enough to be unclear. It's much faster than George Floyd's speech in that clip. I've just listened to that clip at a variety of speeds and I can still clearly hear "Ah hah I ate too many drugs" up to and including 1.5x. Above that it was too fast for me to be sure. But at the speed he said it, it's perfectly clear to me.

I'm the same as you, I watch most YouTube channels at 1.25 and in some cases 1.5 because I find they speak way too slow and I get bored/lose focus otherwise.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Looking forward to the defense grilling this breathing expert

The change of tact by the prosecution to aggressively trying to ward-off some of the defense is quite noticeable today, its like they know reasonable doubt is there and are trying to throw doubt onto the doubt. I wonder if the jury picked up on it also.

Soldato
The change of tact by the prosecution to aggressively trying to ward-off some of the defense is quite noticeable today, its like they know reasonable doubt is there and are trying to throw doubt onto the doubt. I wonder if the jury picked up on it

Well given that the defense sidebarred to try and get the jury to stop copying the expert as he walks through how it feels to be pinned like GF. Id say they are pretty screwed.

Last edited:
Associate
If the result of the trial is anything other than throwing the book at this guy the riots will be huge and nation if not world wide. Not saying that should sway the trial, but how can it not, any jury will be biased by the news of the last year.

This really frustrates me, it's trial by mass rather than by evidence. Derek Chauvin will never be safe if he is found innocent, and a lot of other lives and businesses will be lost/suffer due to the incoming mob. If he is found innocent the rioters will never accept that George Floyd passed away due to his own self inflicted stupidity, albeit potentially slightly exacerbated by how he was handled, but not looking like it was the root cause of his demise.

Caporegime
OP
It’s not looking good for the prosecution. For every good point the prosecution makes, the defence makes 5. The def lawyer doesn’t even have to be good, he just has to convey reality in a calm and clear way.

Meanwhile the MSM are priming the public to think a conviction is assured so when the opposite happens they’ll have plenty of riots to report on.

I'm not sure I'd go with it being some sort of conspiracy here to have riots to report on, more that that narrative is already set here and that is shaping the reporting on this case... which seems to be very unbalanced,

Soldato
Who wants to the TV channel that says the prosecution is making a poor case or that the defense is undermining the narrative. Imagine the spite and bile on social media. The advertising execs would crack themselves. Easier to spoon out the story people want to hear. All the more impact later on when the jury goes off script, think of the drama.

Caporegime
Who wants to the TV channel that says the prosecution is making a poor case or that the defense is undermining the narrative. Imagine the spite and bile on social media. The advertising execs would crack themselves. Easier to spoon out the story people want to hear. All the more impact later on when the jury goes off script, think of the drama.

Imagine the weeks of stories you can run on riots... Shareholders will be pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom