85 year old woman mauled to death in her own garden

Soldato
I'm still no clearer on what you mean by that - I did try some suggestions with my answer but you merely repeating the phrasing and adding your answer isn't adding much in terms of understanding.

I suspect he's trying to say that certain types of people aim to own certain types of dog.

There's a bit of a "hard man" element to dog ownership in some circles, as ridiculous as that might sound. They tend to propagate the breeding of banned or potentially violent breeds for nefarious purposes, dog fighting or 'protection' or whatever garbage. Unfortunately it's very difficult to really stop those sorts of activities.

Caporegime
I suspect he's trying to say that certain types of people aim to own certain types of dog.

There's a bit of a "hard man" element to dog ownership in some circles, as ridiculous as that might sound. They tend to propagate the breeding of banned or potentially violent breeds for nefarious purposes, dog fighting or 'protection' or whatever garbage. Unfortunately it's very difficult to really stop those sorts of activities.

Ah fair enough, I'm not denying that, that in itself doesn't engage that there are also additional risks with particular breeds/types though.

Man of Honour
Just saw the news story about a dad beaten up and in a life threatening condition defending his kid against bullies. What on earth is this country coming to. Zero consequences, people seem free to do whatever they want.

Soldato
Terrible way to go. It's 100% the owners than need punishing not the dogs / particular breed of dog.

Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Huskys and other high on the biting / attack list are only like that due to how they have been trained and looked after...usually by scumbag owners.
One of my parents friends had a Pitbull, it was playful and friendly even when we were kids it was never a problem

My aunt and uncle have always had German Shepherds, all have been wonderful dogs however one that they adopted had some issues as was not properly looked after before they got it. It would sometimes be a bit temperamental and bite if you made sudden movements close to it. Again, a fault on the previous owners

Caporegime
Because it’s a lovely breed with a great history and temperament that is spoilt by dodgy breeding and knobs of owners. Regulate that, don’t wipe out the breed.

We’re not all like you Dowie, some of us actually like dogs. You seem to hate them for some reason.

A history we literally created, they're human constructs with purposes that are incompatible with contemporary life.

The only viable regulation is ending the breed or creating more timid ones.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm talking about any dog that was originally designed to assault other animals, there's no need for them.

There's also a chance to end the suffering of a lot of breeds that are put in that position through selfish desires of certain 'dog-lovers'.

Soldato
I’m reminded of every case where a dangerous animal in a zoo that had previously been described a being “as gentle as a lamb” suddenly decided it wanted one of it’s keepers for lunch.

Why? Because it’s their nature to do so.

Soldato
I’d quite like a poll on this to gauge opinion.

Should Bull Terrier breeds be bred out?

Were it even possible?

Some of them should be, but I don't see how it's remotely feasible. The more dangerous breeds are already banned in the UK and they persist. Shy of a massive and costly authoritarian movement I don't see how you could really go about it, neither are things I'd be particularly keen on.

That said I don't think all Bull Terriers are worth throwing in the same pot, much like Mastiffs or any other breed there's many different types.

A real solution would be introducing licenses for certain types of dogs and harsher punishments on poor owners, better funding for spotting these issues should it be available.

Caporegime
Were it even possible?

Some of them should be, but I don't see how it's remotely feasible. The more dangerous breeds are already banned in the UK and they persist. Shy of a massive and costly authoritarian movement I don't see how you could really go about it, neither are things I'd be particularly keen on.

That said I don't think all Bull Terriers are worth throwing in the same pot, much like Mastiffs or any other breed there's many different types.

A real solution would be introducing licenses for certain types of dogs and harsher punishments on poor owners.
That’s exactly how I feel, but people like Dowie think that just wiping a breed out will solve all the problems, which is beyond idiotic.

Associate
Pitbulls are predispositioned to kill, the amount of owners claiming it's how they're raised or they never mauled a kid before, they're a good boy are delusional.
The majority of fatal dog on human attacks are from these types of breed, surely all the non violent dog breeds can have bad owners too, but they don't chow down on the weak.

There are videos out there of pit pups eating their siblings, next to mountains of dog food they could eat instead. No raising influence at that age and no lack of food.
They're just dumb monsters that ramp aggression from 0 to 100 at the drop of a feather.

Caporegime
Because it’s a lovely breed with a great history and temperament that is spoilt by dodgy breeding and knobs of owners. Regulate that, don’t wipe out the breed.

We’re not all like you Dowie, some of us actually like dogs. You seem to hate them for some reason.

That's just projection on your part - you disagree with my position on something and you've then just lashed out and come to some flawed conclusion. I do actually like dogs btw... I just don't see why we need worry about a particular breed etc...

We're not talking about a species becoming extinct here - we're talking about a breed created by humans in the first place via selective breeding.

I think we should ditch or modify short nose dogs like Pugs etc.. too and I think Alsations need to be bred to have a straight back... I've mentioned these things earlier in the thread too.

You do realise the sort of dogs rescue centres end up being full of too and can't necessarily re-home very easily? Yet I'm being anti dog by suggesting things that are better overall for dogs.

That’s exactly how I feel, but people like Dowie think that just wiping a breed out will solve all the problems, which is beyond idiotic.

The only thing idiotic here is your overly emotive response and flawed reasoning leading to silly conclusions like me supposedly hating dogs etc..

Back
Top Bottom