Mountain Biking

Caporegime
Cracking on with my titanium pinion gearbox hardtail build at the weekend, just waiting on brakes now...

Holy Jesus. That gear box! I love it, looks awesome, well played. Is this your first gear box? I'm waiting for gearboxed eeebs to become a thing before pulling the trigger. It must fell awesome, with all that weight off the rear wheel.

Associate
The DPX2 should be an upgrade over my performance DPS.

Not sure what size you need, but there's a guy selling an older ext storia lok V2 in 210x55 on emtb forums.

I've manged to piece together a Shimano drivetrain for when this SRAM cassette's worn, but I'm struggling to find any fox36 or lyrik ultimate forks.

Last edited:
Associate
i need 230x60, spoken to mojo and they have got some on the way so just about to email them my details so they can work out the tune and put my name on one.
i'm on gx eagle, and its all looking pretty worn, i've found a cassette but its a lot more expensive than 2 years ago but can't find a mech anywhere.

just ordered a cassette from tredz at a slightly better price, they now only have 4 left, had no stock the other day. was wanting to go 52 tooth but not due in untill july and £50 more.

Last edited:
Soldato
I checked this out but I need new tyres as these are not tubeless ready so the total conversion cost is around £160. Current tyres are good for tread so won't go tubeless until these tyres are low so I've not wasted otherwise good tread!
How does 2 new tyres cost so much.

Roll of gorilla tape = £3
Tubeless valves = £10
Sealant = £10

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
How does 2 new tyres cost so much.

Roll of gorilla tape = £3
Tubeless valves = £10
Sealant = £10

I was going by store reviews on tyres and kept coming across the 45-50 quid range being consistently reviewed and I was also looking for ones with tanned sidewalls to keep the look but today binned the tanned wall idea and came across tyres that are £23.50 each and excellently reviewed too, the Schalbe Rocket Addix Ron from Wiggle and a pair of valves at £10. @SoliD has kindly offered to offer a hand with the sealant/tape and fitting so I have decided to go tubeless but not until the current tread is low enough as I do like these tyres so want to get the most out of them for the short term :)

On a tyre related note, I swapped out the front inner tube today with the Maxxis one that arrived this afternoon. The tyre levers never came until really late (never had to change a tyre/tube before) so I improvised with the plastic side of a carpet cutter lol. Have to say the inner tube that was on the bike weighed twice as much as the Maxxis one and the Maxxis felt higher quality. The old tube had a pinch flat with no signs of any puncture on the tyre itself. It was a microscopic pinch too that I could not see at all but could hear and feel. All the more reason to go tubeless sooner I guess to avoid this sort of faff...

Soldato
Which tyres do you have currently mrk? I'd be willing to bet you'd be able to set them up tubeless regardless of whether they are 'compatible' or not. Ran many non tubeless tyres tubeless back in the day :)

Soldato
Probably the single best thing I ever did was going tubeless, since then I've never had a ride ending puncture. Came close one when I experimented with 15psi and got 2 cuts in the tyre where the rim cut through.
Sealant eventually did seal it after a few re-inflations.
I'm settled on around 20psi front 25psi rear now and use Stans Race sealant, harder to use than the normal Stans but seals anything and everything, including the valve if you're not carefully.

Soldato
Finally got back on the bike on Monday after a year off with my back injury/surgery!

Did about 7km before I thought I was going to have a heart attack, fitness is not good! :o

Had to fix a puncture in my tyre from Coed y Brenin in 2019 though, was a bit old slash from the slate there and the sealant wouldn't seal on the trail, so plugged it which did the job but over the past 12 months its gone down.

Fixing/setting up tubeless in a flat without a garden is always fun though, image below :p

EjQZq7U.jpg

Associate
it does and it is. i keep toying with the idea of a coil conversion for my 36's but then something else keeps cropping up that needs the cash spending on.
Would that be the PUSH coil conversion?
I was just looking at all the servicing prices on TFtuned and noticed they offer a number of upgrades.
Do you think it would be worth doing that on standard fox36 performance forks?
I wanted a second fork/shock so I can send these for servicing anyway.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Which tyres do you have currently mrk? I'd be willing to bet you'd be able to set them up tubeless regardless of whether they are 'compatible' or not. Ran many non tubeless tyres tubeless back in the day :)

They appear to be Marin specific or can't see a brand on them really, Marin state they are simply MTB 29x2.25"which isn't really helpful lol. They do however state on other models with different tyres as "tubeless ready" so who knows lol. Worth the ballache or faff for the sake of £23.50 for what are arguably better tyres as well? :D

Associate
Would that be the PUSH coil conversion?
I was just looking at all the servicing prices on TFtuned and noticed they offer a number of upgrades.
Do you think it would be worth doing that on standard fox36 performance forks?
I wanted a second fork/shock so I can send these for servicing anyway.

i would probably go for the vorsprung smashpot conversion, i know someone with it fitted in a lyrik and they rate it, cheaper than the push conversion as well.
mine is a factory fork but i would have thought the advantages would be the same whatever damper is in the fork. would be worth talking to tftuned about it, they are very helpfull. only reason i don't use them for servicing anymore is there is someone local to me who's doing it now.

Soldato
Holy Jesus. That gear box! I love it, looks awesome, well played. Is this your first gear box? I'm waiting for gearboxed eeebs to become a thing before pulling the trigger. It must fell awesome, with all that weight off the rear wheel.
Not owned one but I did a test ride in the peak district, on probably the wettest ride I've ever done, that sold me especially with the belt drive.

Caporegime

This is how Tubeless gets a bad name :p

'tubless, is too much hassle to setup" "it always leaks"

Then you find out, they're running non tubeless tyres/rims and have some mad ghetto setup. IMO, do it right and save the headache. But then I've seen loads of lads try to be tight and ending up ruining a ride....

Soldato
This is how Tubeless gets a bad name :p

'tubless, is too much hassle to setup" "it always leaks"

Then you find out, they're running non tubeless tyres/rims and have some mad ghetto setup. IMO, do it right and save the headache. But then I've seen loads of lads try to be tight and ending up ruining a ride....

Well you didn't always have a choice of tubeless tyres when I used to do it. I never had any issues running Maxxis Swampthings tubeless, just had a use a bit more sealant though when I suggested it to mrk I didn't expect no name tyres, but then again could be worth a try for the cost of sealant and gorilla tape because by the sounds of things snake bikes are already ruining this ride!

Would never do it today as there is so much choice when it comes to running tubeless.

Caporegime
Well you didn't always have a choice of tubeless tyres when I used to do it. I never had any issues running Maxxis Swampthings tubeless, just had a use a bit more sealant though when I suggested it to mrk I didn't expect no name tyres, but then again could be worth a try for the cost of sealant and gorilla tape because by the sounds of things snake bikes are already ruining this ride!

Would never do it today as there is so much choice when it comes to running tubeless.

Yeah, I can imagine. My only experience is of it being around recently(ish) and people moaning about it being no good. Which it isn't of course, it's probably one of the biggest upgrades anyone can do.

Had a coaching day yesterday with a DH/Enduro Pro. So much learnt in such a small space of time! I took about 30% off a trail I'd done a few times before this, without trying at the end of the day. Anyone on the fence about spending the money, do it. Wish I'd done it sooner, and I'll be having a few more in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom