Reality has hit home

Soldato
A couple of weeks ago my debit card played up then last week gave up altogether so ordered a new one.
It came yesterday and looking it over the expiry date was 04 26'
I am now wondering which one of us is going to get there -In 2026 I in theory will be 82.

It rather odd feeling thinking your debit card will out live you.

So my goal is now to stay alive so we both get there. - I have high BP -partially deaf -one eye on way out - knees going but other than that I seem healthy - but as everyone knows the poo can hit the fan at any time. :D

Soldato
I always thought having a driving licence that expires in 2035 was very optimistic of the DVLA.

Having survived my motorcycling years and now driving a slow car slowly out in the sticks, I’m hoping to last long enough to ask for a renewal.

Man of Honour
I noticed my driving licence end date is not too far in the distance now. It seemed so far in the future when I got it.

Soldato
I always thought having a driving licence that expires in 2035 was very optimistic of the DVLA.

Having survived my motorcycling years and now driving a slow car slowly out in the sticks, I’m hoping to last long enough to ask for a renewal.
Same here, the joke amongst my friends was if you passed your 25th birthday still riding a motorcycle you would live forever. I now have my first licence renewal in 2022 age 70 and only drive my wife's fiat 500 and not very far either. The Nantwich to Aberdeen in six hours or bust is over.

Soldato
OP
I need to outlive the expiry date not the plastic bit.

I also survived Bikes with only a broken shoulder and fractured ankle at 25 - 50 seemed like out in space then.

My licence is up again next year providing the Eye Doc doesn't says otherwise.

Nice to know I am not the only one in the same boat.

Hagar you are only just up the road from me then :)

Soldato
I also survived Bikes with only a broken shoulder and fractured ankle at 25 - 50 seemed like out in space then.
I so nearly got a motorbike in my early 20s. Decided against it - every single one of my mates with a bike ended up having some sort of calamity, thankfully nothing that serious :D

Soldato
Same here, the joke amongst my friends was if you passed your 25th birthday still riding a motorcycle you would live forever. I now have my first licence renewal in 2022 age 70 and only drive my wife's fiat 500 and not very far either. The Nantwich to Aberdeen in six hours or bust is over.

I dont get it when i got my license it had 8 years before expiry, and now it expires 2029 (2019 i renewed). so 10 years.

How come you guys appear to get so long durations?

Man of Honour
I so nearly got a motorbike in my early 20s. Decided against it - every single one of my mates with a bike ended up having some sort of calamity, thankfully nothing that serious :D
I've just got a (125) bike and will be getting a bigger bike when I pass my test. Now I'm worried :D

Actually my brother got a Yamaha 600 in the 90's when he was in his mid 20's. He sold it because he said he'd either lose his license or kill himself. He also said his friends had all had incidents. He's never had a big bike since (he has a small Vespa though).

I'm in my 50's so have a lot more (car) road experience and a lot more maturity than if I'd done it in my 20's. I don't need the speed nowadays but like the feeling of openness and freedom. But it's still a risk. Still, who wants to live forever eh?

Man of Honour
I dont get it when i got my license it had 8 years before expiry, and now it expires 2029 (2019 i renewed). so 10 years.

How come you guys appear to get so long durations?
The photocard expires every 10 years I think. We're talking about the actual license itself which expires when you're much older.

Soldato
I've just got a (125) bike and will be getting a bigger bike when I pass my test. Now I'm worried :D
It's not only your own urges to rag it but also the other idiots on the road. There are certainly a hell of a lot more of those about than there were in the early 2000s. :eek:

Capodecina
Soldato
My passport expires in 2022. I can remember when it was renewed in 2012. 2022 seemed like another futuristic age back then, and now 2012 seems like a lifetime ago.

Soldato
Some studies say that the natural lifespan of a human is around 40 years, so I guess we are already on extra time (I'm over 40 so yeah)
Without modern medicine and etc etc.

Man of Honour
It's not only your own urges to rag it but also the other idiots on the road. There are certainly a hell of a lot more of those about than there were in the early 2000s. :eek:
Yes I'm aware. I keep drilling this into my daughter as I'm teaching her to drive (a car). There is a certain amount you can do to drive/ride defensively but at the end of the day if someone is going to hit you there is often not a lot you can do. But I've lived a long enough life now that I don't want a fear of doing it to reduce my enjoyment in the few years I have left.

Back
Top Bottom