More robust / rugged router for garage

Associate
I have a detached garage which has an ethernet cable run between it and the house. It is a reasonable building with a tile roof dry, but not heated, as such it is a more hostile environment than many of the home routers appear to be designed for.

The intention is to install it around 10 - 12foot up, maybe wall mounted but no necessarily. Will a conventional router survive this environment, or is there a more rugged device available for such places. I've never seen such a thing so I'm a little at a loss here.

Caporegime
I think you'll be fine if you just leave it turned on, the heat generated by the device will prevent it getting below the point where you'd have issues

Soldato
WiFi router

Really? What's on the other end of the ethernet cable into the house? Does it not go into your ISP router ultimately? If so adding another router seems wasteful and depending on how configured will likely introduce double-NAT. I would have thought an outdoor access point would be the right next step - something like a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro is rated 'outdoorsy' enough for this type of situation.

Associate
OP
To replace the router in your house? Or in addition to? In which case you'll need a wireless access point and not a router - they're different things.

Probably right but most routers are switchable to allow both options and still maintain the flexibility. The ISP box is in Modem mode to an 8 way switch.

Soldato
Probably right but most routers are switchable to allow both options and still maintain the flexibility. The ISP box is in Modem mode to an 8 way switch.

True, but as you've discovered robust routers for outdoor applications are few and far between. Better to get the job done with something fit for purpose. Also if your ISP box is in modem only mode and straight into a switch what is doing your network routing at home? Where is your DHCP server residing for example?

Soldato
Sounds like you want an outdoor wireless AP, which would be a lot easier and cheaper to find. I don't recall ever seeing an outdoor router.

If your modem is currently set to modem mode, what is doing the routing/DNS/DHCP on your network today?

Associate
OP
Sounds like you want an outdoor wireless AP, which would be a lot easier and cheaper to find. I don't recall ever seeing an outdoor router.

If your modem is currently set to modem mode, what is doing the routing/DNS/DHCP on your network today?

There's an 8 port router / switch without WiFi doing that the WAP routers plug into that and yes they are routers set to WAP.

I think probably Caged has the thoughts I have, that an ordinary home router set to WAP is going to be able to survive in what is not exactly an outdoor environment, shouldn't get wet, but might get a bit cold at times. UK weather doesn't normally get much below zero and not for prolonged times so probably just a cheap one would do the job.

Soldato
Yes, any old router/wAP will be fine in that environment. Just don’t buy one with a fan. Cold isn’t ever an issue unless you have displays on equipment. I’ve yet to see a router/wAP that’s not rated to something like -40C.

It is a poor solution though compared to dedicated access points. If you did add a PoE switch later, you could just plug the access point into the PoE switch rather than the other way round.

Associate

They exist, Mikrotik do them. They are about some of the best options available if you need external switching generally all PoE (802.3) out as well, even have one (netPower 16P) that is powered via reverse power over one of the connections so you can connect it via a SFP+ feed then only have the fiber cable and the Ethernet cables running to it - although that is more intended for other countries where you connect to your fiber connection via a transceiver, something not possible in the UK unless you use B4RN or a couple of other alt nets.

Associate
OP
It appears that there are devices like the Draytek AP 903 which offer Poe, at least in to power the device but it would appear not available to power other devices. Is there a WAP with PoE out to kill two birds with one stone? The AP 903 is not a cheap device at £135 but perhaps cost effective if it could combine PoE and an access point.

Associate
It appears that there are devices like the Draytek AP 903 which offer Poe, at least in to power the device but it would appear not available to power other devices. Is there a WAP with PoE out to kill two birds with one stone? The AP 903 is not a cheap device at £135 but perhaps cost effective if it could combine PoE and an access point.

Mikrotik has one similar, Omnitik but its not much cheaper.

Soldato

Unifi UAP-AC-IW - 2 1GbE ports, one is PoE out
Unifi UAP-AC-IW-Pro - 2 1GbE ports, one is PoE out
Unifi UAP-HD - 4 1GbE ports, one is PoE out

Back
Top Bottom