Prince Philip has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This really feels like a milestone and the beginning of the end of an era.

The Royals will endure sure, but it feels like once the Queen passes the royal family will be more a gimmick and disconnected from our nation and history.

RIP Prince Philip

Permabanned
I have only just heard the news and am very saddened that he has succumbed to age and illness. I am also saddened by the ignorant and plainly unpleasant remarks that are now littering forums. A great life, lived by one not afraid to mince words or actions, my condolences and respect to him and his family.

Permabanned
Are there really those people still left today? At best it seems older folk tend to be a bit fond of the royal family but are people still royalists these days?

I'm sure there's several polls out there that give a reasonable estimate as to which way the country swings as a whole. It'd be interesting to see which way voters lean on the issue. Some of the fiercest royalists I know are ironically working class remain and Labour voters.

Soldato
What's shocking about it? He was 99 lol

Shocking in the sense that we live in an age where our lives are potentially recorded on tv and we can watch back through the ages.

To see the programme last night of a relatively young Prince and then to move to the realisation of reality, 99.

I'll be happy to make it to 70.

Soldato
I'm sure there's several polls out there that give a reasonable estimate as to which way the country swings as a whole. It'd be interesting to see which way voters lean on the issue. Some of the fiercest royalists I know are ironically working class remain and Labour voters.
There's a difference though between thinking that's it's worth keeping the royal family (I imagine that's quite favourable ) to be genuinely affected by their deaths. I have condolences to his friends and family but I feel indifferent to his death, he lived a long and privileged life.

Soldato
Are there really those people still left today? At best it seems older folk tend to be a bit fond of the royal family but are people still royalists these days?

Judging by this thread yea, its a weird mentality, I think we all kinda grow up with it, then like other irrational beliefs it needs to be shrugged off with a bit of critical thinking and education.

Just listen to the callers on this video, and the hilarious response from Hitchens.

Caporegime
Although it's rather pitiful, I kind of wonder whether the incessant news coverage will be a negative for the royal family? A lot of people's favourite programming was just punted after all.

Man of Honour
Although it's rather pitiful, I kind of wonder whether the incessant news coverage will be a negative for the royal family? A lot of people's favourite programming was just punted after all.

Would say a lot about the state of modern people if they get upset because they cant watch one episode of a tv show when they want.

Soldato
Its hard to comprehend really, having someone by your side day in and out, for 74 years and then them not being there anymore. 3 quarters of a century is a hella long time to be at someones side.
Absolutely this. RIP Philip, but it's Elizabeth my thoughts are with today.

Man of Honour
One thing that really surprised me to hear is that he was co founder of WWF, and was instrumental in getting it off the ground. RIP

Just for a moment there, the old aged part of me who remembers when it too was called WWF, thought - "well , I never knew he was into wrestling"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom