Dr Marten alternatives

Soldato
Solovair are great and British made. Dr Martens haven't been the same since the buyout, manufacturing standards and materials just don't meet that same standard of 10-20 years ago.

I believe Solovair actually manufacture in the old Doc plant as well which is kind of ironic.

If you're looking for something cheap however then just go onto Asos and look at the boots there. There's always plenty of off brand stuff being sold on the cheap. I'd spend a decent whack though, especially if you're getting boots you'll wear often.

Solovair actually made the shoes for Dr Martens, then when the supply chain was moved to Asia Solovair continued to make the shoes but sold them under their own name (plus a few tweaks to stop them looking exactly like Docs).

Permabanned
Solovair actually made the shoes for Dr Martens, then when the supply chain was moved to Asia Solovair continued to make the shoes but sold them under their own name (plus a few tweaks to stop them looking exactly like Docs).

Ahhh no way! Makes sense I suppose as a lot of the styles do look alarmingly similar.

Caporegime
They're already made in China so whats the difference? Havn't been 'Made in EnglandTM' in a long time.

I own a pair but I never bought them as a fashion statement.

The price.

You get a lot of authentic replicas where people get the company who makes them to make a cheaper batch for them. It's not legit but they then sell them on as replicas which are 95% the quality but only 25% the price.

Caporegime
Also steelies are VAT exempt, so basically 20% cheaper.

if you're ordering safety boots for your own work use - you are exempt from paying VAT. If you are an employer purchasing safety boots for your employees, then this exemption does not apply and you should pay VAT at the prevailing rate.

I doubt this applies to luxury brands like Doc Martin's

Soldato
Anyone recommended some decent but cheap Dr Marten alternative boots or shoes? Ta

Can't say i've come across direct alternatives for Dr Martens in terms of style (Solovair probably closest) but, John Lewis, Bertie, Clarks (not sure what they're like now as they did change to poor quality materials a few years back) and Barbour do some reasonably priced boots that are ok.

Otherwise if you're after boots that'll last many years (if you look after them and resole) then look at Tim Little/Grenson, Loakes, Church's, Thursday Boot, Cheaney, Red Wing etc.

Soldato
OP
Or a decent, hard wearing shoe would be great. I never seem to find ones that last! I go though around 3 or 4 a year! Lol (cheap tat though). I want to spend more and get some longer lasting shoes.

Soldato
Or a decent, hard wearing shoe would be great. I never seem to find ones that last! I go though around 3 or 4 a year! Lol (cheap tat though). I want to spend more and get some longer lasting shoes.
There is a crap shoe pun in there (last)

Get some Loakes. 2 pairs will set you back 200 quid, stick to the made in England ones as opposed to the designbyloake/India ones. Rotate them each day and they'll last you forever. Loake refurbish them to 'as new' for around 80 quid with return delivery included.

Soldato
Dont want steel toes capped..

I like those Dewalt but, prefer without the steel toe..

If you can get past the steel caps the Dewalt Titanium are on sale for £67 via Amazon at the moment.

I'm not sure why you'd be against steel caps tbh, it's not like you can really tell they're there when wearing them.

Soldato
I got a cheap pair of Dr Martens shoes from the Outlet store in Cheshire Oaks, about £40 for the pair so if you can get to an Outlet store you should be able to pick up some actual Docs for the budget

Back
Top Bottom