• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I thought that 3090s were more available that 3080s For the past couple of Gibbos updates only 3080s were due in. Not a bleat but I wonder why.
Don't think Gibbo is posting for SKUs that aren't backordered so the fact more 3090 queues have cleared is a factor.

Associate
Turned out my RTX 3090 Strix OC was not faulty. OCUK did really thorough testing of the card and it was fine so they sent it back to me.

A few pages back I detailed how I couldn't get any video out on it after two days of it working fine. So it turns out that all the PCIe riser cables I was using were not up to the task. I had three (Phanteks, EKWB and Cablemod). All rated for PCIe 3.0 speed which I'm using the card at (X299 doesn't do PCIe 4.0) but for whatever reason the card didn't like those, I suspect EMI or something like that since it worked for 2 days before "dying".

So I shelled out £68 for a PCIe 4.0 riser and now the card works perfectly.

You may be thinking why didn't I try the card directly in my motherboard slot during testing? well... it wouldn't fit because the card is so enormous its long cooler touches parts of my case if it's directly in the slot and I had no other system available to test it myself and since I had tried three different riser cables and it had worked for two days without any issues before failing to output a video signal I thought surely the fault is with the card etc

So I'm really appreciative to OCUK for their thorough testing and the shipping back and forth was done at their expense though it should really be me paying since the card wasn't faulty and the issues were elsewhere with my system.

So top tip for those waiting.. get a good riser if you're going to be using one at all, seems like even at 3.0 speed they are very hit or miss as I tried three from name brands and I was very careful with all of them, no radical bends or anything and they all just crapped out on me. Interestingly though they all work with my GTX 1080 Ti so must be something about the newer cards that makes them incompatible even when not running at 4.0 speeds etc

Also as a side, I did get resizable bar functional, the card flashed fine using Asus's utility. Performance is as expected, insanely fast. I've found mine boosts to 2070Mhz under normal games without adjusting TDP or anything yet, quite happy. Memory temps are 86c-94c and I expect the chips on the back are quite a bit hotter.

Associate
Yeah you shoulda whipped the mobo etc out of the case tbh and tested it that way, but at least the card is fine now :)

You're totally right but that wouldn't have been easy to be honest. The PSU is in the basement of the case with a light box above it, with tubes drilled through it. Like just to get that out to attach to the Mobo haha then undoing all the water stuff, getting an air cooler for the CPU which I don't have currently. Like we're talking 2 days to test it outside the case and dismantling everything.

But really can you blame me for thinking it was the card? GTX 1080 Ti worked perfectly with all three risers and an AMD HD something I had also worked fine. And the RTX 3090 itself worked fine for 48 hours etc it just seemed so unlikely to be anything but the card.

The frustrating thing is, the card is literally 2-3mm too long to fit in the slot directly. This is how close we're talking, it's just huge.

On the bright side I didn't re-enter the queue and snap up a second one that you guys should be receiving!

Last edited:
Associate
You're totally right but that wouldn't have been easy to be honest. The PSU is in the basement of the case with a light box above it, with tubes drilled through it. Like just to get that out to attach to the Mobo haha then undoing all the water stuff, getting an air cooler for the CPU which I don't have currently. Like we're talking 2 days to test it outside the case and dismantling everything.

But really can you blame me for thinking it was the card? GTX 1080 Ti worked perfectly with all three risers and an AMD HD something I had also worked fine. And the RTX 3090 itself worked fine for 48 hours etc it just seemed so unlikely to be anything but the card.

The frustrating thing is, the card is literally 2-3mm too long to fit in the slot directly. This is how close we're talking, it's just huge.

On the bright side I didn't re-enter the queue and snap up a second one that you guys should be receiving!

I would have probably done the same lol. My mini ITX case is such a pain that I really cant be bothered to upgrade it to any new spec for my daughter once i have my new build lol

Did see on YT Kyle from BitWit was having no end of trouble with his 6900XT and went through all of the riser cable checks ended up being some cable mod cables lol

Associate
I would have probably done the same lol. My mini ITX case is such a pain that I really cant be bothered to upgrade it to any new spec for my daughter once i have my new build lol

Did see on YT Kyle from BitWit was having no end of trouble with his 6900XT and went through all of the riser cable checks ended up being some cable mod cables lol

I did indeed, he seemed to have many problems. Even in his glamour shots of the loop being filled it was visibly leaking coolant lol

Associate
Hay all I have not received a queue update for the past two weeks. Does anyone know if there is an issue with the OCUK mailing servers?

Back
Top Bottom