5800x on x470 gigabyte - updating bios

Soldato
Hi, I plan to do the above. Just wanted to check my understanding.

Gigabyte link

I bought my system in 2018 and haven't done any bios updates. So reading the bios info, am i right in thinking I have to update it first to f31, then f40, then f60?

Is this a case of downloading each update on to a usb drive and loading it in bios?

Currently running a 2700x. Any pitfalls to be wary off?

Soldato
Yes by the looks of it. Also make sure you have the latest AMD Chipset Driver installed before updating the bioses.

Use cpuid to check the bios version you have aready installed first.

Associate
I imagine you're all done now, but did you check the Gigabyte App Centre?

If you install that, you can then install their @BIOS app, which is supposed to automatically update your BIOS at desktop.

I assume it'll pick the correct BIOS itself then.

Soldato
OP
I imagine you're all done now, but did you check the Gigabyte App Centre?

If you install that, you can then install their @BIOS app, which is supposed to automatically update your BIOS at desktop.

I assume it'll pick the correct BIOS itself then.

No I haven't started. Been waiting for a gfx card but that's useful ty! I was googling the qflash option. 2 ways of doing it. Pressing the qflash button but disconnect hardware (not appealing). Or going via bios and loading qflash from there - but it's unclear if I need to disconnect the hardware.

Man of Honour
No I haven't started. Been waiting for a gfx card but that's useful ty! I was googling the qflash option. 2 ways of doing it. Pressing the qflash button but disconnect hardware (not appealing). Or going via bios and loading qflash from there - but it's unclear if I need to disconnect the hardware.
If you update via the bios then you dont need to dissconect any hardware.

Associate
Yeah, when I built my Ryzen machine a few months ago, I tried the Qflash option but it wouldn't work. I guess because I had the hardware all installed.

I just stuck the files on the pendrive, booted into the BIOS and updated in there. Was very quick and easy

Soldato
OP
Yeah, when I built my Ryzen machine a few months ago, I tried the Qflash option but it wouldn't work. I guess because I had the hardware all installed.

I just stuck the files on the pendrive, booted into the BIOS and updated in there. Was very quick and easy

Thanks. I loaded the app centre but it's very glitchy and comes up with errors. I'll do the bios pen drive route. Looks like I've got a really old version as well so will be a few updates.

Associate
Hi, I plan to do the above. Just wanted to check my understanding.

Gigabyte link

I bought my system in 2018 and haven't done any bios updates. So reading the bios info, am i right in thinking I have to update it first to f31, then f40, then f60?

Is this a case of downloading each update on to a usb drive and loading it in bios?

Currently running a 2700x. Any pitfalls to be wary off?

Well my suggestion to use B550 or X570 motherboard with Ryzen 5000 series because it will support AMD SAM features if you are interested in that feature

Back
Top Bottom