Paramount announces new Star Trek film release date

Man of Honour
To boldly go where they've already gone many times before, but maybe slightly differently this time :o

I hope I'm wrong, but in my opinion they could really learn a thing or two from Star Wars' success with the Mandalorian.

Soldato
I enjoyed the first 2 Pine/Quinto movies and catch myself watching them every now and again :)

But the 3rd was dire, especially defeating the enemy by playing Beastie Boys. I've never watched that movie again.

Soldato
Paramount (or more accurately, Bad Robot/Secret Hideout) have a long history of releasing statements about release dates for ST films that are nothing other than attempts to grab headlines and get investors interested for a film that only exists as a title at that point. Midnight's Edge call them out constantly on it.

Soldato
Let's wait and see what happens. It won't be the first time they've announced plans for a Trek movie that didn't happen. It feels like a fishing announcement to see if they can get financing and the previous actors on board a Trek project.

Soldato
We don't need more Trek movies, it's a story and format better suited to TV let the characters build, this will be another crappy cash grab. Write a new Sci-Fi movie you lazy idiots.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Hasn't The Federation always been 'woke'?

Indeed. But apparently TOS for example being wildly anti-war, anti-fascism, anti-racism, being against granting total control to AI and so on in line with Gene's liberal humanist outlook doesn't count. It's only 'woke' (spit the word like you just ate a marzipan-coated anchovy) if you dare to show gay and non-binary characters on-screen. Even if they're just there and not the lead character, because who else can get screen time in Star Trek: The Adventures of Michael Burnham, Messiah, One True Light and Saviour of All of Space and Time™?

Soldato
The Federation has never been woke it has been genuinely socially liberal where your character not your identity is king. If it was woke your shirt would denote your race and your rank would be related to your intersectional victim attributes.

TOS was as far from woke as you can get.

Man of Honour
To boldly go where they've already gone many times before, but maybe slightly differently this time :o

I hope I'm wrong, but in my opinion they could really learn a thing or two from Star Wars' success with the Mandalorian.
What were your thoughts on the Mando?

I liked the setting, episodic nature and occasional ‘western’-vibe but for me it never really achieved greatness because there never really felt like there was any ‘threat’ and consequently it started to feel a little drawn out.

BUT it remained very watchable and the good bits were excellent.

Man of Honour
What were your thoughts on the Mando?

I liked the setting, episodic nature and occasional ‘western’-vibe but for me it never really achieved greatness because there never really felt like there was any ‘threat’ and consequently it started to feel a little drawn out.

BUT it remained very watchable and the good bits were excellent.

Lack of proper threat is a serious issue in these things. I find part of the problem (for me at least) seems to be a combination of being an adult now, and it being a series. It's very obvious that things can't go very wrong for most of the main characters until certain parts of a series and that limits the possible consequences for sure, which does interrupt immersion for me. It's generally the same for movies, but it's more noticeable drawn out over a longer overall runtime for sure. There's no doubt it could have been better, but I don't know exactly where I'd tweak it to make it so.

My main thing in Star Wars is the experience/exploration of the overall theme and world, the characters are simply vehicles for that for me. It's perhaps why I was so completely owned by SWG when it was good. Mando understands that part of the fanbase and absolutely delivers that. If you played Dark Forces as a kid, then the hint/reveal of the Dark Troopers in modern cinematic glory was something of a spiritual experience :p

I'm not 100% if this is something that Trek fans feel, I only really know TNG era of it, but watching the Orville gave me serious childhood evening TNG nostalgia without really being too similar in characters so I expect it's a similar phenomenon.

Man of Honour
Lack of proper threat is a serious issue in these things. I find part of the problem (for me at least) seems to be a combination of being an adult now, and it being a series. It's very obvious that things can't go very wrong for most of the main characters until certain parts of a series and that limits the possible consequences for sure, which does interrupt immersion for me. It's generally the same for movies, but it's more noticeable drawn out over a longer overall runtime for sure. There's no doubt it could have been better, but I don't know exactly where I'd tweak it to make it so.

My main thing in Star Wars is the experience/exploration of the overall theme and world, the characters are simply vehicles for that for me. It's perhaps why I was so completely owned by SWG when it was good. Mando understands that part of the fanbase and absolutely delivers that. If you played Dark Forces as a kid, then the hint/reveal of the Dark Troopers in modern cinematic glory was something of a spiritual experience :p

I'm not 100% if this is something that Trek fans feel, I only really know TNG era of it, but watching the Orville gave me serious childhood evening TNG nostalgia without really being too similar in characters so I expect it's a similar phenomenon.
My minor tweaks to Mando would have been to add a bit more political intrigue (such as with the fallen empire bits which were quite interesting), plus actually finishing off some characters to keep us on our toes, in both senses a bit like Games of Thrones, but I appreciate it was more of a family demographic they were going for so I get it.

One fair criticism of Mando is that they deffo needed to cut out the needle ‘fake action’ sequences where leagues of troopers get mown down without a sweat. It’s extremely boring for everyone!

My final niggle is the use of Gus from Breaking Bad was soooo boring, I’ve seen too much of him playing that role.

Re: threat I think it goes towards not knowing what is going to happen next... which is probably why I really enjoyed The Last Jedi as I didn’t have a clue what was going to happen to any of them and it didn’t feel ‘safe’.

TNG is probably the best of the Treks but it feels a little sexless and beige at times (that ship on TNG is literally beige and hurts my eyes) - Voyager feels a little more balanced in that regard (if you can ignore Neelix - he is just such a grating and obnoxious character). They had a little more fun with the TNG cast in the 90s films.

As a whole thought the Star Trek films are very mixed and the OG cast films have aged dreadfully.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
the OG cast films have aged dreadfully.

We-e-e-ell...

TMP is a far better film than the Slow Motion Picture epithet would suggest. Bits of it have dated, but Doug Trumbull's visual effects hold up. And it was the only movie to show the refit Enterprise in all her pearlescent/iridescent glory (ILM hit the model with dulling sprays for the sequel films because they found that paintjob too hard to work with). It needed about 15 minutes chopping out of it, and even then would suffer a bit for being a re-tread of TOS's "The Changeling" in concept. But it offers a nice alternative to the frenetic pace of Star Wars. Wrath of Khan is excellent from start to finish, made on a budget equal to that of Star Trek: Voyager's pilot episode, and the only thing that really dates it is one of the things that makes it great - the soundtrack actually shuts the **** up at times to let stuff play out. Well, that and the '80s hairstyles and the way David wears his jumper on his shoulders late on in the film but as Nick Meyer noted, 'all works are ineluctably a part of their time' :)

Search For Spock falls down a bit because it was focused on just one thing - getting Spock back into the story. But again there are effects in there that go toe-to-toe against modern CGI - specifically the destruction of the Enterprise, ILM people go into detail about how they did it in the 'making of' featurettes. And Chris Lloyd made for a fantastic Klingon antagonist. I'll grant you that the fake cactii on the Genesis planet do look a bit shonky :p Voyage Home was a fun romp, only really dated by the fact that the conceit was that they were travelling back to our present when the film was made rather than our past. Final Frontier...it needed more money and less of the studio controlling what Shatner did with it. It has a few neat scenes (campfire at night with the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio for one), but it wasn't a great movie when it came out and time hasn't fixed that (best than can be said is that it's a better Trek film than Nemesis or Into Darkness IMO). Undiscovered Country was a great send-off for TOS, with a Real World™ relevant plot and great performances all around.

Man of Honour
@JRS here are my detailed thoughts!

I’ve also been going through the Star Trek films... the original ones. They really aren’t very good are they :o

Star Trek the motion picture - 7/10

Everyone says this is slow and boring / not much happens - for me it’s the only one where the threat feels genuine and menacing. There is an actual sense of ‘unknown’. Even knowing the outcome I quite enjoyed it, although I concede some of the sections without dialogue really were padded out. Also, wtf with that random transporter accident, dang!!! Finally, it has the next gen theme! So that’s where it came from :)

2; wrath of Khan. 6/10

I think Family Guy popularised the whole Khaaaaaaan thing. I mean, it’s ok but nothing particularly remarkable about it. Some light ‘naval battle tactics’ which are enjoyable. Sadly the introduction of the monumentally boring ‘Genesis’ plot that trudges over into the next two films.

3: The Search for Spock 4/10

I found this really boring and just... sort of happening. I was willing it to be over. Notable for an amusing moment where Uhura puts a man in a cupboard. Poor Kirk though :(

4: The journey home 5/10

The one with the whales. That rating assumes a fondness for the characters, otherwise it would be unbearable with its ultra cliched ‘people from the future try to blend in’ nonsense and awful cheesiness.

5: the final frontier 7/10

This is simultaneously the best and worst of them all. It has unbelievably goofy at moments, to the point where I just can’t believe they thought those bits were good ideas. Particularly the rocket boots bit near the start which is both a 10/10 and a 0/10 :o :D other funny bits like the campfire scene are genuinely amusing / bemusing. It did have an intriguing plot and a couple of weirdly, completely off colour ‘dark’ moments (particularly the scene with Bone’s dad - brutal!!). Probably a marmite film, I imagine many people despise it!

Rocket boots below :o :D

Star Trek: Generations

Generally good but then feels rushed at the end somewhat. 7/10

Star Trek: First Contact

Probably the best overall of all the Star Trek films I’ve watched so far. Has a bit of everything and you have to love the Borg. 7.5/10[/QUOTE

Star Trek: Insurrection

More trek. Quite liked this for its ‘feature length episode’ / reserved manner / ‘quiet plot’ feel. Certainly less appealing than First Contact for the masses but I must say I did enjoy it!

It’s soooo goofy in places that it would be abhorrent for non-fans, but seeing Picard do a bit of salsa and Data being a floatation device / the singing scene tickled me as was intended. I really liked the self-knowing goofiness, but you have to have a real fondness for the characters.

7.5/10

I missed out ST6 and nemesis for some reason but both were just sort of meh for me.

Back
Top Bottom