Spec me - Vinyl Turntable, pre-amp and speakers package up to £800

Soldato
My mate is after a stand alone turntable to listen to vinyl and also speakers to give a great sound but nothing too stupid loud as in a flat share so quality over loudness.

He has suggested the Rega Planar 2 but is there anything as good, better out there for budget.

Cheers

Man of Honour
Rega isn't going to bettered musically for the same money. It's pretty-much at the top of the game. However, that's not the same as saying it's the only game in town. Depending on priorities, there might be a better fit with something from the other prime contender, Pro-Ject.

The Pro-Ject Essential III A is functionally the same as the Rega, but comes with an acrylic platter rather than glass, hence the A. Acrylic is good for sound, and particularly for platters. The £359 RRP isn't far away from the Rega at £429, except right now - if you're quick - you won't pay £359. Due to a line-up change, the remaining stocks of these very capable Pro-Ject TTs can be picked up for just £239.

I'm not going to tell you that the Pro-Ject is the sonic equivalent of the Rega. It isn't. If the Rega is a 10 then the Pro-Ject is an 9. Would you hear the difference? Given enough time and bigger budget than your friend's then the answer is.... probably. For someone used to listening to a variety of turntables then they could point out the differences. For the more casual listener, I doubt they'd be so picky. In a blind test, they'd be hard pressed to reliably pick one from the other.

A saving of almost £200 over the Rega goes a really long way to buying better speakers, which could be argued would have a much bigger impact on the sound over all compared to the far more minor difference between two turntables.

Soldato
OP
OK, thanks and where can one get a pro jext for £239. I've googled already and all around £319

Edit: ignore me, didn't press shopping tab. Loads come up now.

OK so what preamp and speakers are a good recommendation

Man of Honour
Before getting in to specifics, the normal way of completing a system is either:

[phono pre-amp + stereo amp] + passive speakers or [stereo amp with built-in phone pre-amp] + passive speakers. By the sound of it though, your friend has in mind a phono pre-amp going direct to some active speakers. Is that the intension?

Soldato
I have no idea what you just said but the last sentence is what they believe they want.

In regards phono... turntables need what’s called a phono stage / pre amp , because basic amplifiers cannot provide enough volume to hear them. Sometimes the turntables have the phono / preamp built in, or you can get a separate box or one that’s built into an amp.

Man of Honour
Turntable............. Pro-Ject Essential III A............ £240.00

Phono pre-amp......Pro-Ject Phono Box MM..............£70.00

Cables from pre-amp to active speakers .................. tbc

Active speakers..... Wharfedale Diamond A1 ......... £450.00

Total ex-cables................................................... £760.00

The Wharfedale A1s are based on the Diamond 220, and they're pretty good speakers in their own right. Check out the link and the brochure for the A1s. They use a little wireless interface box (the square thing with the remote) which has analogue stereo RCA connections which is where you'll/he'll plug in the leads (tbc) from the phono pre-amp. The box then communicated with the speakers wirelessly, so he'll be able to get some separation for a better stereo image.

The interface box also has a couple of digital inputs. One on coax and another on optical. That could open up the possibility of connective the TV audio via optical and still leave a spare digital input for something else. There's also support for a Bluetooth connection. The remote is a nice touch too.

Given the presence of the AC-to-DC transformers and wireless signals flying about I'd make sure to use some really well shielded coax cables to avoid any noise issues. If you want a hand on a good source for that let me know. Send me a trust.

Associate
[QUOTE="lucid, post: 34691959, member: 99554]Given the presence of the AC-to-DC transformers and wireless signals flying about I'd make sure to use some really well shielded coax cables to avoid any noise issues.[/QUOTE]
This- I had a Rega MM3 pre amp but can’t use it as the interference it generated is terrible as my TT has a pre amp built in- it can be turned off and used just as a phono out. Thinking about upgrading the turntable at some point but worries me if this happens again

Back
Top Bottom