single channel?

Man of Honour
Looking at laptops and not many list their ram like 2x8gb indicating dual channel. Are most laptops using single channel?
Just ordered an Asus TUF F15 today and even that's listed as a single channel, strange decision for a gaming laptop.

I guess I'll be buying some more RAM :(

I tend to check on Crucials RAM checker tool to see what the laptop can take and has already installed :)

Caporegime
Just ordered an Asus TUF F15 today and even that's listed as a single channel, strange decision for a gaming laptop.

I guess I'll be buying some more RAM :(

I tend to check on Crucials RAM checker tool to see what the laptop can take and has already installed :)

I'd be more worried about the build quality. Going by YouTube reviews that laptop is meant to be not that good and that's putting it politely.

Someone even took a Dremel to the chassis to prove that the design was terrible and improved temps dramatically by doing so.

As for OP it's not hard to get some cheap ram and throw it in. I just throw the part number into Google/eBay and see what shows up.

The only problem is sometimes they are soldered but most gaming laptops shouldn't be. I've now upgraded and swapped ram in 2 laptops currently and I have another arriving Monday I may decide to swap over again.

At the same time you can upgrade WiFi chip for peanuts and bung another SSD in if it has spare slots or swap one over.

Basically things like ram, SSD size and WiFi are of no concern as they are easily and cheaply upgraded. Therefore focus on the screen, CPU and gpu

Man of Honour
I'd be more worried about the build quality. Going by YouTube reviews that laptop is meant to be not that good and that's putting it politely.

Someone even took a Dremel to the chassis to prove that the design was terrible and improved temps dramatically by doing so.

As for OP it's not hard to get some cheap ram and throw it in. I just throw the part number into Google/eBay and see what shows up.

The only problem is sometimes they are soldered but most gaming laptops shouldn't be. I've now upgraded and swapped ram in 2 laptops currently and I have another arriving Monday I may decide to swap over again.

At the same time you can upgrade WiFi chip for peanuts and bung another SSD in if it has spare slots or swap one over.

Basically things like ram, SSD size and WiFi are of no concern as they are easily and cheaply upgraded. Therefore focus on the screen, CPU and gpu
Arrived just now and it seems really nice, this is the F15, all the reports I've seen are for the A15.

Nice and quiet so far, plus it's for Mrs Monkey so it won't be pushed too far :)

Caporegime
Arrived just now and it seems really nice, this is the F15, all the reports I've seen are for the A15.

Nice and quiet so far, plus it's for Mrs Monkey so it won't be pushed too far :)

Oh right not too clued up about all the different names and models just heard that Asus 2021 model wasn't that great.

Throw the part number of the ram on eBay you may be surprised to find someone who bought the same laptop who just went and bought a whole new kit and is selling their brand new single ram stick from the same laptop for buttons buy it now.

A lot of people do that so you can pick up a matching stick for £25-£35 usually.

Soldato
I've had some Crucial SODIMM's on order for over 2 months now elsewhere, prices have gone up as well as being in very short or non existent supply. You should also check the laptop has replaceable SODIMM's and that they're not soldered in.

Back
Top Bottom