Prince Philip has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'd agree with you on the Queen and Phillip; not sure about any of the rest of them though.
Personally I think when the Queen passes its likely to re-spark a bit of debate about the monarchy

It wouldn't produce the radical change people who want to abolish the royals would expect. The crown estate would revert back to the family ownership and they would then choose to keep them open and retain the profits (currently they go to the treasury). On top of all that they are all, already beyond wealthy and media attractive, they would probably have a greater presence without the royal status protection.

So as above it wouldn't make any real difference with the exception of having to deal with the horrendous prospect of an embarrassing head of state. All things considered I'd rather crack on with a royal family that sure needs some reform but are at least stable and a respected head of state.

Permabanned
I'd agree with you on the Queen and Phillip; not sure about any of the rest of them though.
Personally I think when the Queen passes its likely to re-spark a bit of debate about the monarchy

I doubt it. I can't see anything happening on that front until there is a really major scandal.

On a personal note, I think the Royal Family is a dated institution that just needs to be dissolved. However, I know I am probably massively outvoted by the British public, so I bow to their majority. I hope some day though there is that scandal I mention, and then we can see the back of the people who should have gone many decades ago.

Soldato
The whole concept of the monarchy is outdated and wrong. Why should we be made to revere elitist individuals purporting to be acting for the greater good of the country, when really they're just happy to maintain their position of privilege with no real expectation to change.

Permabanned
I quite like the pomp of the royals. Its not harming anyone so i don’t see any need for them to be dissolved.

We all know that the Royal Family has no say in politics, yet you would be surprised at how many people abroad think they still do. I just think this sends a really bad message that we are stuck in time, still lost in our old colonial days. Perhaps it would be sufficient to modernise parliament. Remove all the old pomp and ceremony. Really this sort of poop doesn't represent the way things should be done in the 21st century. Especially now we have decided to go it alone in the world, the last thing we need to be doing is showing the world we are stuck in the past.

Soldato
They could have used some 12" naval guns and aimed them at France. Waste of powder otherwise. (Joke obviously).

They do do it extremely well.

I agree it`s a waste. If the guns were fired in respect to the sad death of Prince Philip AS WELL AS the tragic death of 127,000 from covid in the UK, it would be worth it and I would stand up from my chair and grieve wholeheartedly.

My condolences to the Royal Family but I don't see why they`re considered more important than you or me. The queen wouldn`t grieve if I died because we`ve never met.

I just treat people as equals. All lives are important.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It wouldn't produce the radical change people who want to abolish the royals would expect. The crown estate would revert back to the family ownership and they would then choose to keep them open and retain the profits (currently they go to the treasury). On top of all that they are all, already beyond wealthy and media attractive, they would probably have a greater presence without the royal status protection.

So as above it wouldn't make any real difference with the exception of having to deal with the horrendous prospect of an embarrassing head of state. All things considered I'd rather crack on with a royal family that sure needs some reform but are at least stable and a respected head of state.

Why would it revert back to family ownership? It currently belongs to the monarch - if there is no monarch it would probably go to the state (which would make sense, as most of it was stolen anyway).

Queens birthday and St Geoges day towards the end of the month. Im expecting fairly big expressions of respect.

Prepare to be surprised :D:D:D:D:D:D

Soldato
They are an important part of our history and like others have said they don't have any say in our lives, so no need to get upset.

Without a monarchy it'll just get replaced with the Kardashian's.

Last edited:
Soldato
We all know that the Royal Family has no say in politics, yet you would be surprised at how many people abroad think they still do. I just think this sends a really bad message that we are stuck in time, still lost in our old colonial days. Perhaps it would be sufficient to modernise parliament. Remove all the old pomp and ceremony. Really this sort of poop doesn't represent the way things should be done in the 21st century. Especially now we have decided to go it alone in the world, the last thing we need to be doing is showing the world we are stuck in the past.

whats wrong with pomp and ceremony?

Caporegime
I agree. The last 4 years has shown us the issue with other systems like have a president. In fact Russia has shown the issue with their system for a long time.

The royals not doing much is a good thing.

What about the many ceremonial HOS's that exist? It's always compared to the worst culprits as if we're too dumb to create a sensible replacement.

Also getting rid of royalty in government doesn't get rid of royalty, so the people who like the 'pomp and ceremony' can continue to bask in it if they wish.

Whatever though, i'll just wait until the inevitable scandal to come on where everyone pretends they never liked royalty in the first place and almost certainly there have been many already that the British government is forced to cover-up. Our current arrangement practically means minimal ability to investigate an entire section of government for any illicit or malicious ongoings, all the while other sections of government are burdened with making sure there is no investigation going on to the detriment of other priorities, this wouldn't be an issue if we could elect them.

If we're going to keep these people in power, then we should codify our constitution so that they be treated like any other part of the government, that they be fully accountable to the public and since that can't occur with an election... then it has to occur with expanded title deprivation and possible enforced exile if wrongdoing is discovered. If the sovereign themselves has been a naughty person, it ought to be zero tolerance with the punishment being that they willingly step down, prostrate themselves publicly and then be treated like any other person from then on.

Last edited:
Soldato
The media coverage is ott imo. Coverage of any other news item has been crowded out, and the only way to avoid it is to switch off.

Not great on a rainy Saturday at the end of 3/4/5 months of lockdown.

It just doesn’t warrant this level of hysteria.
Apparently, the overnight TV ratings show that much of the country agrees with you:

What about the many ceremonial HOS's that exist? It's always compared to the worst culprits as if we're too dumb to create a sensible replacement.

Also getting rid of royalty in government doesn't get rid of royalty, so the people who like the 'pomp and ceremony' can continue to bask in it if they wish.

Whatever though, i'll just wait until the inevitable scandal to come on where everyone pretends they never liked royalty in the first place and almost certainly there have been many already that the British government is forced to cover-up. Our current arrangement practically means minimal ability to investigate an entire section of government for any illicit or malicious ongoings, all the while other sections of government are burdened with making sure there is no investigation going on to the detriment of other priorities, this wouldn't be an issue if we could elect them.
Why not compare it to the possible worst? Weird that you'd not want to. Yes I'm sure we are smart enough to have a system that is a sensible one, in fact we have a sensible one right now, but "dumb" people want to get rid of it.

It's weird as you're talking as though only 100 people exist. 100 people voice their approval on the royals in this thread, then a scandal appears, 100 other people voice disapproval, and you see this as proof that people have switch sides and aren't really committed to either. Very sad to have this view.

Caporegime
Why not compare it to the possible worst? Weird that you'd not want to. Yes I'm sure we are smart enough to have a system that is a sensible one, in fact we have a sensible one right now, but "dumb" people want to get rid of it.

It's weird as you're talking as though only 100 people exist. 100 people voice their approval on the royals in this thread, then a scandal appears, 100 other people voice disapproval, and you see this as proof that people have switch sides and aren't really committed to either. Very sad to have this view.

I dunno, maybe because we have the intelligence to decide that the way one country does things is moronic and then not do that?

We've already done this with the monarchy for the most part, but clearly it's not enough if certain individuals continue to waltz around the place like there's zero consequences for bringing disrepute upon the government and the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom