Moving away from gas hob?

Soldato
Our oven needs replacing. It's a freestanding oven with gas oven and gas hob. The gas oven is awful and we both want to go electric, we both prefer gas hobs though.

Yes gas hobs are is harder to clean, but being able to change the temperature so precisely and instantly is really nice. The problem is we can't find a cooker that is electric oven and gas hob that we like the look of, and is in budget, but there's quite a few all electric ones (separates is not an option due to kitchen layout).

I've always hated cooking on electric ovens whenever we go anywhere, but I wonder if that's just because it's been for a week or two and didn't have time to get used to it. Has anyone moved away from gas and thought it was good move?

Caporegime
Previous oven was electric, worked fine Tbh.

Old hob in old house was electric and the new one we have is gas (new house) and I agree with the temperature changes.

I've not seen a split gas/electric oven/hob, but I'm guessing you can't install a partial kitchen top above a dual oven for instance?

Soldato
Dual fuel is the way forward to be fair. They do exist so I guess it's just budget for you?

I hate cooking on electric hobs but swear by the electric oven. Perhaps induction would work for you but I can't see how that would be any cheaper.

Sounds like you might need to just deal with it while you save some more :(

Man of Honour
We're about to make this switch, can't stand our ageing gas oven anymore and got my eye on a Stoves Richmond DFW cooker (gas cooker with electric grill/oven). Not the prettiest but it ticks all my boxes.

I was tempted to go induction but I frequently use a round bottomed wok and there doesn't seem to be any way to use it effectively on an Induction cooker.

Associate
I've gone over to induction hob from many years of gas and ended up having to buy a little gas camping stove to use my wok.. Bit of a faff but a compromise that works for me.

Associate
Gas is also far, far cheaper for the same unit of energy.
Does that matter, though? even if an electric hob costs 2-3x more to run, how much is that going to be in £ over the course of a year for most people? I'm betting not enough to care about. The amount of energy consumed (gas or electric) is nothing compared to heating a house.

Soldato
We are now on our 2nd Induction hob and there is no comparison to the old ceramic or those old plate/ring types electric hobs - you do need good pans though and we are just moving from our original Circulon pans to latest SS pans and the the difference in noticable.

Unlike hot plates as soon as you lower the temp it happens and same with up - We did have use of gas for 18 months at a renter and was glad to get back to electric.

Ps - as the thread below - I did install a massive cable for it direct back to fuse board.
I can imaging the 13amp plug in ones don't have enough power.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem with induction is they aren’t all created equal. When we moved house our kitchen had a terrible one running on a normal 3 pin socket which was low kW and was frankly terrible. We got a new ring put in and a decent kW rated one on that and it’s night and day difference. It’s genuinely as responsive as gas.

Soldato
We're about to make this switch, can't stand our ageing gas oven anymore and got my eye on a Stoves Richmond DFW cooker (gas cooker with electric grill/oven). Not the prettiest but it ticks all my boxes.

I was tempted to go induction but I frequently use a round bottomed wok and there doesn't seem to be any way to use it effectively on an Induction cooker.

Good call on the Stoves with the electric oven. We have a very old, all gas one and the oven really needs a fan to move the air around as there’s considerable temperature difference between the top and bottom of the oven.

Soldato
Dual fuel ovens were quite common when we bought ours about 9 years ago. It's a Rangemaster, so you can spec what you want, but we'd bought a bog standard dual fuel from Curry's a couple of years earlier in our old house.
Does that matter, though? even if an electric hob costs 2-3x more to run, how much is that going to be in £ over the course of a year for most people? I'm betting not enough to care about. The amount of energy consumed (gas or electric) is nothing compared to heating a house.
It's not a lot.

We're off the grid for gas, but use bottled propane just for the hobs. £44 for a 19kg bottle lasts about 8 months.

Associate
Also remember that unlike gas, induction doesn't really heat the air.
For each kWh input, induction would get more of it to the pot.
Problem is, gas is much cheaper per kWh.

Soldato
Also remember that unlike gas, induction doesn't really heat the air.
For each kWh input, induction would get more of it to the pot.
Problem is, gas is much cheaper per kWh.
I'd bet gas is pretty efficient though, even if you're heating the air, a lot of that heat must be going into the pan. I will say SS are **** for a pan material just due to how poor a thermal conductor it is (guy above with induction might find it less of an issue). We changed to Al and its so much better apart from I'm not putting them through the dishwasher (however they're non-stick so not hard to clean).

Associate
Electric is 5 times the cost of gas per KWh, and then of course whenever there's a power cut you can't even boil a pan of water let alone cook something. Gas hardly ever gets cut,and you can normally boil the kettle.
Gas has a moist heat and is great for anything which you want to remain moist, electric is a dry heat and is better for those foods which you want to be dry. So buy a built in gas oven and a combi microwave so you have the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom