• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spraying gpu

Associate
Managed to secure myself a 3090 FTW3 ultra yesterday.

I'm doing an all white build, but obviously the gpu is black.

How difficult/easy is it to spray it white, and how much of it can I spray?

Or should I just leave l entirely?

Soldato
For a warranty claim to be denied, they legally have to prove that it was the installation of or the modification itself that has caused the fault to which the warranty claim has been raised for. Shrouds are removed every day to install waterblocks.

Plenty of modders spray their cards but I personally wouldn't be doing it on something as high-end as a 3090 without good experience.

Soldato
If i saw a used GPU for sale that had been spray painted, I would avoid it and buy one that looked cherished and looked after.

I guess if you don't sell your old GPUs then it's not so much of a problem.

Man of Honour
There's a massive difference between removing the cooler to fit a waterblock and spraying the card. At least the cooler can be refitted again and most of the time you couldn't even tell it was removed. Spraying a card is irreversible and will almost definately void the warranty which is a crazy thing to do on a stupidly priced card such as a 3090. Like someone else suggested, have a look into vinyl wrapping it. As long as you leave the fans and airways clear the card should operate as normal plus it can be removed. Not sure about the backplate though as they seem to be used as a heatsink now and the 3090's rear memory chips need all the cooling they can get.

Associate
edit: removing this as it was meant as a joke but i re read it and it came off a bit insulting.

Don't do it. Wait for the KFA2 3090 HOF and then sell the one you have.

Last edited:
Associate
You should be able to take the shroud off and use something like plastidip on it. Then clean it off if you ever need to send it back.

Could maybe do the backplate as well, though most gpus these days use the backplate to help dissipate heat, so might be a bad idea. I know some people make sort of custom backplate things that just sit on top of the card.

Don't paint the fans though can screw up the balance making them louder and less effective.

Associate
I asked Asus about modding one of their cards in a similar way and they made it very clear it would void the warranty, EVGA might have a different stance but you would have to ask them directly.

In terms of actually doing it not that difficult, but if you care about your warranty or resale value probably not worth the bother.

Soldato
Can the shroud be completely removed easily? If so, why not consider hydrodipping it instead of spraying it? I have never hydro dipped anything but watched a few videos as it looks interesting. At first thought I can't imagine how it would be a problem, although you'd need to be confident the coating is good quality and won't flake/peel.

Associate
I personaly see no problem removing plastic cover and spay white paint. 10 year old kids can spay paint. easy stuff. just dont spray the card pcb. that would be hilarious.

for waranty: logicaly u pcb will not fail becoz plastic cover use to be black now its white. thats just stupid.

But fot god sake dont spray anything but the cover. and make sure pcb and other things are in diferent room when u do spray.

V F

V F

Soldato
I asked Asus about modding one of their cards in a similar way and they made it very clear it would void the warranty, EVGA might have a different stance but you would have to ask them directly.

In terms of actually doing it not that difficult, but if you care about your warranty or resale value probably not worth the bother.

Back when the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 came out and other versions with 4 colour shrouds to choose (Blue, Red, Black and White) someone asked EVGA reps on their forum about painting the original silver shroud. This may have been mid 2017 or early 2018. I recall them giving the go ahead to paint it as some members didn't want to purchase the cards with the optional coloured shrouds.

What they did say the warranty wouldn't be rejected but if they got a card with an altered shroud, the shroud would be replaced. No idea if that is changed today.

Back
Top Bottom