• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Soldato
Start by weigh up the % actual performance difference vs the % actual difference in costs. The AMD will perform better and is a bit more power efficient but it's still quite a hot CPU and the AM4 platform is also going to be end of life soon. However, at least you can pop a 16 core Zen3 CPU in there in a couple of years if yo uneed more juice, whereas its unlikely you will be able to do the same with Intel if you buy an 11700. :)

I currently have a 4770k, I don't tend to upgrade that often. I may just hold and see if amd drop their prices. Maybe the multi core performance will be more futureproof

Caporegime
I currently have a 4770k, I don't tend to upgrade that often. I may just hold and see if amd drop their prices. Maybe the multi core performance will be more futureproof
Don't count on any short term price drops, just buy something, be happy with it and get on with your life. if you don't upgrade that often then what's an extra 50 quid anyway spread over the course of a few years? It's comparative pennies.

Get a 5800x + B550 + 32GB PC3600 RAM and you will have a good platform with enough processing power to last a few years easy.

Soldato
So I've upgraded to 5800x from 2700x. The idle temps have fallen from 45-50s to 35-40s. Gaming or put under stress it goes to 80-85. Ok not the end of the world, considering I'm using a Wraith Prism but the fan is doing by head in. I've got an x470 board.

What's the easiest process of undervolting/underclocking to maintain reasonable performance and reduce temps? Looking at various youtube videos is suggest running cinebench. - noting score. Then gradually reducing the voltage (all through ryzen master). Is that the best way? Cheers

Soldato
So I've upgraded to 5800x from 2700x. The idle temps have fallen from 45-50s to 35-40s. Gaming or put under stress it goes to 80-85. Ok not the end of the world, considering I'm using a Wraith Prism but the fan is doing by head in. I've got an x470 board.

What's the easiest process of undervolting/underclocking to maintain reasonable performance and reduce temps? Looking at various youtube videos is suggest running cinebench. - noting score. Then gradually reducing the voltage (all through ryzen master). Is that the best way? Cheers
Id start by setting EDC TDC PPT values lower something like 100/82/100 then try and see how far you can push the negative curve optimiser.

Soldato
Id start by setting EDC TDC PPT values lower something like 100/82/100 then try and see how far you can push the negative curve optimiser.

Thanks. Sorry this is new science to me. Assume the above has to be done in bios.

The curve optimiser- case of shifting it downwards?

Soldato
Thanks. Sorry this is new science to me. Assume the above has to be done in bios.

The curve optimiser- case of shifting it downwards?
Yeah it's all done in the bios, with curve optimiser set to negative values it applies a dynamic undervolt so it's a case of seeing how far you can push it before stability becomes effected with -30 being the max if you have very good silicon.

Soldato
I found lowering PPT had a significant impact on the temps but it did lower the maximum all core boost frequency for me. I think ideally, if your temps are already below 85 then I would leave PPT close to the default 142 and look for temperature savings elsewhere.

Soldato
The key with the 5800X is to keep the temps as low as possible, its how the boost algorithm works, if you can keep it at around or under 85c in heavy workloads it will run at about 4.6 to 4.65Ghz all core, 65c and under in games you should see about 4.85Ghz. This out of the box.

The first thing you should do is test it in cinebench and maybe a game or two before making any adjustments making notes of your performance, temps and core clocks, once you have an idea of what its like under out of the box conditions you should go into the BIOS and set BPO to advanced, find Curve Optimiser, set symbol to Negative and i would start with a vule of between 15 and 20. save it and retest, run your benchmarks again and make a note of your performance, temps and clock speeds to compare.

Testing for stability is tricky, it can be perfectly stable in your benchmarks and a day or two later while watching Youtube it could just randomly reboot, that means its unstable, back off the Cureve optimiser 3 points, so if you're at 20 take it to 17.

If you have found where its stable and are feeling more adventurous there are options to add a Mhz off set, so if you set +150Mhz it might boost to 5Ghz in your games and a bit higher in heavy workloads, like 4.75Ghz, as long as your temps are good, you might not be able to run such a high Curve Optimiser with that, you might have to take it down to 10.

That seems to be the most effective way of overclocking or tuning Zen 3, but you can also set volts and clocks in the traditional sense and not use any of that, or there are options setting predefined boosts, stage 1, stage 2....

It has a myriad of options, but the Curve Optimiser and boost off sets are the best way to do it.

very useful thanks. going to start this process.

EDIT : ok so i don't think I've got the PBO/curve optimiser option for x470.....

Last edited:
Soldato
I found lowering PPT had a significant impact on the temps but it did lower the maximum all core boost frequency for me. I think ideally, if your temps are already below 85 then I would leave PPT close to the default 142 and look for temperature savings elsewhere.
Default is far to high and often negativity effects performance, I found you could could take it down to around 120 and actually improve performance from stock by using curve optimiser. Infact I managed to take it as low as 105 with a -30 curve and still kept around the same multithreaded performance as stock but with almost 15c lower temps. Results will vary by CPU though and have much CO you can push.

Soldato
ok so I stuck it on eco mode for comparison.

Default:
Cinebench R20 5874
Temp 90
All cores 4454
Peak voltage 1.324

Eco:
Cinebench R20 5282 (-10%)
Temp 67
All cores 4077
Peak Voltage 1.12

So using the above as baseline, and not having the curve optimiser options in bios (x470). Slowly come down in voltage, keeping cores the same or?

I was going to try what this dude is doing. Any pitfalls?

Last edited:
Soldato
Default is far to high and often negativity effects performance, I found you could could take it down to around 120 and actually improve performance from stock by using curve optimiser. Infact I managed to take it as low as 105 with a -30 curve and still kept around the same multithreaded performance as stock but with almost 15c lower temps. Results will vary by CPU though and have much CO you can push.
Yes I agree and that is similar to what I saw when I was using the Wraith Prism cooler. I've kept my CO settings at -25 for all cores except for my best 2 which are at -15. However, since switching to the 360 AOI I have been able to leave PPT at default and still keep temps around 80 in Cinebench and the like. This allows my maximum all core clock frequency to boost a bit higher and gives me better scores compared to when I had PPT a bit lower. With the Wraith air cooler I got better results with PPT around 120 but I believe the additional temp head room provided by the 360 AOI allows for slightly increased performance at 142. My conclusion would be that, unless you have a top, top performing cooler, then lowering PPT to around 120 will provide better performance due to the lower temps. However, if you do have a cooler than can provide enough headroom to accommodate the PPT as high as 140+, then you may see slightly increased performance. May not be the same for all chips as you say though.

Soldato
ok so I stuck it on eco mode for comparison.

Default:
Cinebench R20 5874
Temp 90
All cores 4454
Peak voltage 1.324

Eco:
Cinebench R20 5282 (-10%)
Temp 67
All cores 4077
Peak Voltage 1.12

So using the above as baseline, and not having the curve optimiser options in bios (x470). Slowly come down in voltage, keeping cores the same or?

I was going to try what this dude is doing. Any pitfalls?

In the bios check in settings > advanced > AMD overclocking > PBO > advanced if you can't see curve optimiser in the normal overclocking menu. All boards should have it by now with the latest bios.

Soldato
In the bios check in settings > advanced > AMD overclocking > PBO > advanced if you can't see curve optimiser in the normal overclocking menu. All boards should have it by now with the latest bios.

I'll have a look. However, the video in the other thread suggest it was only for 5 series boards.

Soldato
@Joxeon @humbug @DEL 707
Thank you lads.
Followed the other thread and the advise on both. Curve optimiser to -20. PPT to 110.
Shaved 10 degrees off stress - now 80 - but tends to hover around 75, takes much longer to climb.
Actually gained 160 points in cinebench
Hits 4550 @ 1.22v (EDIT 4850 boosted)
All with a pauper Wraith Prism.
Fan a lot quieter now.
I haven't pushed it any further. This will do I think!

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Joxeon @humbug @DEL 707
Thank you lads.
Followed the other thread and the advise on both. Curve optimiser to -20. PPT to 110.
Shaved 10 degrees off stress - now 80 - but tends to hover around 75, takes much longer to climb.
Actually gained 160 points in cinebench
Hits 4550 @ 1.22v
All with a pauper Wraith Prism.
Fan a lot quieter now.
I haven't pushed it any further. This will do I think!

:)

Soldato
Hmmm. Had a random restart mid gaming.

During day 1-2 hours of gaming no issues. Temps max 75.

10 mins of gaming evening and random restart no warnings. Happened once only. Booted ok with no issues and no bios resets.

Event viewer "machine check exception" "cache hierarchy error".

See if it happens again or?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm. Had a random restart mid gaming.

During day 1-2 hours of gaming no issues. Temps max 75.

10 mins of gaming today and random restart no warnings. Happened once only. Booted ok with no issues and no bios resets.

Event viewer "machine check exception" "cache hierarchy error".

See if it happens again or?
That generally means the curve optimiser is not stable and will need to be lowered, ether lower all to -15 or see which core APIC ID is giving the error and try just lowering that one.

Back
Top Bottom