** Diablo 2 Resurrected Thread **

Associate
I just got my email, will give it a play tonight.

It appears as an option to install under game version on the battlenet app. Might be worth checking if it's there if you don't have an email yet.

Soldato
I signed up for it when it was announced but now think even if I get an email (which I doubt I will) I will hold off until release. I don't want to 'spoil' it. Hope it's released soon but I imagine it will be at least November :(

Associate
Had a bit of a play around, pretty much boxed off act 1 with mixed feelings tbh.

Visually it does look really nice, they've nailed the art style remaking everything and it feels very smooth in motion. The lighting on the spell effects really make them pop too, especially in darker areas where it looks pretty impressive. It still retains the same sort of atmosphere as the original too, nothing but praise there really.

It might sound very odd as a negative, and this is mostly personal preference, but the fact that it's an almost 1:1 remake of the original holds it back in my eyes. The feel is spot on so those looking for that experience are really going to enjoy this, it just feels a bit weird having all the quirks and limitations of the original present in something that visually is very modern. The movement still has the grid like motion to it, despite now appearing to animate very smoothly, shooting projectiles still sometimes wiff past things because they aren't exactly on line with the target. It gives me more of a feeling of disconnect at times, yet it all feels just right playing on the old visuals.

I played through the original not long back and thought it had really started to show it's age in terms of feel, another playthrough with some mods was much more enjoyable for me. I believe that mod support is coming with the remaster? If so I think I'll wait to see what crazy stuff the modding scene is gonna come up with before/if I come back to it.

I dunno, it's hard to explain, I knew exactly what this was going to be coming in, and it met those expectations the same as my recent playthrough. It's a great game, but something I've outgrown at this point.

I'll say again though, those who really just wanted the same old D2 with better visuals are gonna have a great time with this.

Associate
Take a look at Last Epoch, will probably last longer than D2R

Is it worth getting despite being in early access ? For reference, I loved D2, hated D3 when it initially released, but warmed to it after the overhaul and removal of the auction house. Didn't gel with PoE for several reasons ( didn't like the visual style at release, bartering/crafting too much of a grind, convoluted skill trees that could render a character crippled if you don't have a PhD in PoE ). I think my favourite ARPG of all time is probably Titan Quest ( the original, not the revised version currently on offer ) but sadly found Grim Dawn rather bland and slow.

Soldato
Is it worth getting despite being in early access ? For reference, I loved D2, hated D3 when it initially released, but warmed to it after the overhaul and removal of the auction house. Didn't gel with PoE for several reasons ( didn't like the visual style at release, bartering/crafting too much of a grind, convoluted skill trees that could render a character crippled if you don't have a PhD in PoE ). I think my favourite ARPG of all time is probably Titan Quest ( the original, not the revised version currently on offer ) but sadly found Grim Dawn rather bland and slow.

Yeah, I actually tried PoE earlier this year and got addicted to it (played 300 or so hours). The game is great but it has a number of problems for new and existing players that hopefully/some are being worked on for PoE 2.

Last Epoch got a big publicity boost recently with some of the biggest ARPG twitch streamers playing it, all giving it great reviews. It's less complexity than PoE but more than Diablo. It strikes a good mix IMO. I was keeping a close eye on Wolcen but that game just isn't going in the right direction after being released for over a year now.

There's a video I keep seeing on my recommended on YT you might want to check, I haven't watched it myself but the guy is quite experienced with ARPGs.

Soldato
OP
Last Epoch, D2R, Diablo 2, and Path of Exile will all last quite a while (hopefully Diablo 4 also); as they are all good enough to have a share of the market. The only one that will really die a death more than it already has is Diablo 3, and most will move onto Diablo 4 or move to D2R (I didn't include Grim Dawn as it's not really in the same category, the same as games like Torchlight and Titan Quest, as they are more solo/co-op experiences). Last Epoch is definitely worth a look. It is still unpolished, but it's come a long way since it's alpha days. It lacks intuitiveness, and I still immensely dislike the UI, but it's definitely getting there.

Soldato
Last Epoch, D2R, Diablo 2, and Path of Exile will all last quite a while (hopefully Diablo 4 also); as they are all good enough to have a share of the market. The only one that will really die a death more than it already has is Diablo 3, and most will move onto Diablo 4 or move to D2R (I didn't include Grim Dawn as it's not really in the same category, the same as games like Torchlight and Titan Quest, as they are more solo/co-op experiences). Last Epoch is definitely worth a look. It is still unpolished, but it's come a long way since it's alpha days. It lacks intuitiveness, and I still immensely dislike the UI, but it's definitely getting there.

I’m almost positive D4 will be around for sometime. D2R on the other hand will be much less, once the hype settles it’ll go back to what D2 is now due to the lack of end game. It’s not 2000 anymore and I don’t think it’ll hold onto players very long like it once did. Still one of my fav games ever though.

Soldato
OP
I’m almost positive D4 will be around for sometime. D2R on the other hand will be much less, once the hype settles it’ll go back to what D2 is now due to the lack of end game. It’s not 2000 anymore and I don’t think it’ll hold onto players very long like it once did. Still one of my fav games ever though.

Maybe, maybe not; either way, I'd expect it to hold a respectable share of the market and for it to be around for a while, especially with the mod support it's receiving. Diablo 2 is still played quite a lot even considering it's age, which is a testament to how good the game is - if D2R did nothing other than replicate it then I can't see why it wouldn't be popular.

Soldato
OP
They said the same about Warcraft 3 Reforged also and that was "December 2019" or earlier and it came in late-Jan 2020 :p so I'll not hold my breath

Back
Top Bottom