Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Don
I mentioned this a while ago, I think there are quite a few people who would appreciate that.

I'm in the same boat, but I mostly just stick to the UKPF subreddit instead. By its very nature, I think a funds thread might just get stale / repetitive

Edit - that being said, maybe there is some space for discussing the various funds. My Vanguard Global is up ~5% in just the last month. I've no idea how long that can be sustained for.

Soldato
If you want spoon fed info on funds then go speak with a financial advisor who will charge you £200 an hour to do so.

If you don't understand what the above are you simply Google and do your own research.

Telling someone to go away and do their own research is the number one rule of investing if you cannot do that then I suggest that you stick to premium bonds.

I honestly can't understand why people with an attitude like yours bothers to frequent threads like this, I can only assume you enjoy the friction and negative tone. I'm sure it makes you feel superior, so I'm glad I could contribute to that in some way.

I'll now vacate the conversation as instructed and you can select your next target.

Soldato
If you want spoon fed info on funds then go speak with a financial advisor who will charge you £200 an hour to do so.

If you don't understand what the above are you simply Google and do your own research.

Telling someone to go away and do their own research is the number one rule of investing if you cannot do that then I suggest that you stick to premium bonds.

i'm struggling too on chrome, to double click the terms, right click, click on search google for it, click a link and read, plx send help

Soldato
I honestly can't understand why people with an attitude like yours bothers to frequent threads like this, I can only assume you enjoy the friction and negative tone. I'm sure it makes you feel superior, so I'm glad I could contribute to that in some way.

I'll now vacate the conversation as instructed and you can select your next target.

What do you want to know exactly.

I see you have signed up to vanguard.

FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund, or lifestrategy 100% are the only two options IMO.

Caporegime

FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund, or lifestrategy 100% are the only two options IMO.

Lifestrategy IMO is a terrible fund for anyone who works and owns property in the UK.

You are already so invested in the UK economy so investing more is literally putting all your eggs into the UK outperforming every other market. Albeit I do understand UK companies held within it tend to have global market shares so sell outside of the UK for the majority of their business.

As for the global all cap it has performed worse than VWRL over the past 5 years. Albeit with VWRL you have to manually reinvest the cash paid back to you.

Lifestrategy is good for parking money as you can put in any amount. Whereas with S&P and VWRL you need to buy a full share.

For example if you want to invest a fiver into lifestrategy you can but couldn't in the other two.

So unless you really think the UK market will outperform the US and world markets I'd personally only put a max of 10% into lifestrategy personally especially if you already work and own property in the UK including your home even if it's mortgaged as it's still an investment in property in the UK.

But I'd be interested to hear why you think it's good bet.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Some general guidance really I would have thought, sometimes it's nice to hear from people 'you know' or at least would hope you can partially trust some on here particularly if they are regulars.

Tbh I didn't get much less of a welcome :p

Soldato
Lifestrategy IMO is a terrible fund for anyone who works and owns property in the UK.

You are already so invested in the UK economy so investing more is literally putting all your eggs into the UK outperforming every other market. Albeit I do understand UK companies held within it tend to have global market shares so sell outside of the UK for the majority of their business.

As for the global all cap it has performed worse than VWRL over the past 5 years. Albeit with VWRL you have to manually reinvest the cash paid back to you.

Lifestrategy is good for parking money as you can put in any amount. Whereas with S&P and VWRL you need to buy a full share.

For example if you want to invest a fiver into lifestrategy you can but couldn't in the other two.

So unless you really think the UK market will outperform the US and world markets I'd personally only put a max of 10% into lifestrategy personally especially if you already work and own property in the UK including your home even if it's mortgaged as it's still an investment in property in the UK.

But I'd be interested to hear why you think it's good bet.

I said only two options, not one is better or not, either way i listed the all cap first, why do you think i am in favor of LS?

I do not believe working in the UK or owning a single property here should factor into anything, maybe if you own multiple BTL you'd make sense.

Regardless most FTSE100 companies earn most from overseas. And having a bias to your home country works out pretty well.

The S&P 500 has been great to a UK investor, 11 years ago i was in vegas, £1 was like $2. 11 years of stocks going up, while dollar gains to the £ is great. If that reverses though, its not good, and it very well might.

As for the all cap vs vwrl, the income version of the all cap returned 42% in 3 years vs 40% for VWRL. To me, they are essentially equivalents, and i believe all cap to be more stable while VWRL is more heavily favored to bigger companies, but only slightly.

I'll go into my portfolio another time, but if you are wondering my entire US holding is alphabet, microsoft, amazon, apple, intel, disney, coca cola.

Some general guidance really I would have thought, sometimes it's nice to hear from people 'you know' or at least would hope you can partially trust some on here particularly if they are regulars.

Tbh I didn't get much less of a welcome :p

Everyone should go into an all world index fund, invest into it, and after a few years should then go into buying individual shares in companies if they have the desire to do so.

Going into thematic ETF's or going around collecting active hedge fund managers like they are pokemon is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I said because usually a person's home is where the majority of a normal persons income ends up being invested. Sure it's not a proper investment as such but it is an investment none the less as it's an asset you own and most expect it to rise with time.

I did say that the UK companies sell mainly abroad, etc but it's still very UK focused for someone earning and living in the UK. Even more so if they do have buy to lets like you say.

It's why I prefer S&P 500 and global trackers/funds. I'm already heavily invested into the UK markets so I don't want to be going into a UK heavy fund.

I think VWRL / VWRP is going to track along the same lines as the global fund they are so similar after all. But I believe it was the best performance over 5 years vs the 4 you used but it's been a while since I checked. Will be a small amount out either way but I do believe that it was better over 5 but that may have changed as the last year has been crazy.

It also depends a lot on your age and your goals. Nearing retirement then I'd be happy to go into 20/40/60 lifestrategy funds for security. Up until then I'm happy for it to be in much more volatile and high risk for higher rewards.

I too am heavily invested in alphabet (Google), Microsoft, apple, Amazon, etc.

Apple is my biggest hold currently at just over 5%.

I do have some lifestrategy but I'm looking at getting rid of it so I may just put some into the global fund to see how it compares against vwrl

Soldato

eh? Another typical laughable response from @Psycho Sonny

Have you looked at the breakdown of the asset allocation of the Vanguard LifeStrategy 60% Equity A Acc

Currently -
Rank Asset %
1 North American Equities 27.18
2 Global Fixed Interest 21.60
3 UK Equities 15.00
4 Europe ex UK Equities 6.22
5 UK Gilts 5.60
6 Global Emerging Market Equities 5.50
7 UK Index-Linked 3.70
8 UK Corporate Fixed Interest 3.60
9 Japanese Equities 3.47
10 Others 8.13

It's hardly a UK biased fund - it's a well diversified, well spread balanced fund with a dirty cheap AMC (0.22%) - it's an excellent fund, great track record and continues to do very well for a balanced investor as part of a portfolio.

It's a good starting point for anyone who is considering investing for the longer term and with a excellent company (Vanguard)

Gold Rated by Morningstar Analyst's
4 Crown rated by FE

- To call it a terrible fund is just a ridiculous and totally untrue statement.

Caporegime
Someone missed the point where I said where you are already heavily invested in the UK markets.

It's circa 25% UK. On top of all your other UK interests. Which includes home and job, etc.

I said best not to have more than 10% as part of your portfolio on vanguard.

Soldato
Someone missed the point where I said where you are already heavily invested in the UK markets.

It's circa 25% UK. On top of all your other UK interests. Which includes home and job, etc.

I said best not to have more than 10% as part of your portfolio on vanguard.

you said

That's 99% of the UK population then?

Caporegime
you said

That's 99% of the UK population then?

I'd personally only put a max of 10% into lifestrategy personally especially if you already work and own property in the UK including your home even if it's mortgaged as it's still an investment in property in the UK.

Selective quoting.

And I stand by it. If you already earn £ in the UK and own property. Max 10% into it.

Soldato
I’ve always thought that having a home bias is crazy when investing. My biggest lifetime bond (salary) and one of my medium assets (home property) is already highly correlated to my home country’s economy, so why would I increase that risk via home bias in a stock or ETF portfolio?

I have some money (far from my entire pot though) in a FTSE 100 tracking fund... so I'll put forth my reason; I believe in the UK and its companies. Simple as that

Permabanned
I'm not a fan of all-world trackers because the uk, eu, japan all perform worse than the US and that's not going to change any time soon. US with a splash of emerging asia makes more sense to me.

Caporegime
I have some money (far from my entire pot though) in a FTSE 100 tracking fund... so I'll put forth my reason; I believe in the UK and its companies. Simple as that

Which is also what I said above. Unless you truly believe the UK is going to do better than America and the world trackers then it's a gamble worth taking.

So if that is what you believe will happen then it suits your thinking to do so.

Personally I don't like being invested in the UK so much. The UK is essentially just London and London is the best place for a terrible strain of Corona to run riot and destroy the whole of the UK's economy too in one go.

At least other markets aren't so reliant on 1 city. That's my thinking anyway.

Soldato
Well I have another chunk in a World Equity excluding UK fund, so in theory I could slosh money from one to the other depending on how the UK is looking :D (I say in theory as thus far I have never bothered to do so, but the option is there)

Back
Top Bottom