• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 5800X Temperatures

Caporegime
Hey guys, sorry to hijack the thread but can you not just undervolt the cpu to lower temps? I just got a 5800x myself coming from a 2700x, that was a hot chip but i just set volts to 1.35 and it boosted fine and never went above 60c. Is the 5800 different?

You can, you can even set it to run at a fixed frequency at a fixed voltage, but in doing that you lose its ability to always get the most out of its self for any given workload, that's where the Curve Optimiser comes in, you can customise your particular CPU to behave in a way that is particular to it, because no 5800X's are the same, some are better than others and the perimeters i'm talking about are set identical for each chip based on a worst case scenario because they can't know the characteristics of every single piece of silicon that leaves their factory.

Its why all CPU's and GPU's have some form of "overclocking headroom" because 99% of them are not Worst case, its that 1% that the perimeters are set for.

Its new technology, new improved ways of doing things, as enthusiasts we need to keep up and update our knowledge, there hasn't been any competition in the CPU space in over a decade, now there is and with it comes new ideas.

Thanks I am all new to AMD and still learning as I been using Intel i7 2700K for almost 12 years. Big change from Intel to AMD. Now a final question: Am I better off leave it all on auto and don't worry about up to 1.5vcore or am I better off with my fixed ratios x 40.25 and set vcore @1.250v? Cos the benchmark only slightly little difference

Leave it auto, put it back to auto and run Cinebench all core, keep your eye on the volts, you should find its not running at 1.5v during the benchmark run, but somewhere between 1.3v and 1.4v, if you run cinebench single threaded then it will run at about 1.5v. Completely normal.

If it isn't behaving like that let me know and we will try and figure out what's going on.

Soldato
Leave it auto, put it back to auto and run Cinebench all core, keep your eye on the volts, you should find its not running at 1.5v during the benchmark run, but somewhere between 1.3v and 1.4v, if you run cinebench single threaded then it will run at about 1.5v. Completely normal.

If it isn't behaving like that let me know and we will try and figure out what's going on.

All on auto as cinebench R23 running multi cores at core vids @ 1.238v max temp is no more than 64C but it didn't run at full load at 4.4GHz only 4.0GHz (single core run at 4.4GHz) is that pretty normal?

Soldato
That's exactly how its supposed to work, yes. :)

The clocks on the box are "up to" 4.4Ghz
Just done running cinebench r23 for ten minutes multi cores average vcore 1.248v. Cpu temp 61c all cores temp package 73c motherboard temp 22c chipset temp 44c all cores power 88w.

Is that all sound OK? After ten minutes cinebench score 12440 pts

Caporegime
Soldato
That's great to hear this. I leave it all on auto because at first when I notice the bios was reading at 1.48v I start to panic. I must have a good air cooler bequiet dark rock slim with tdp of 180w support for max temp 73c during cinebench. I don't need to run prime 95 for any stable no need that for amd on all auto.

Happy overall with my new amd 3700x and maybe upgraded to 5800x in the future with same board.

Soldato
Yea, its very normal to see that 1.48v and start to panic, a lot of people do it because compared with what we are used to that doesn't look right, but it is :)

Thanks. But rather annoying all GPU graphic very hard to get it. I managed to get Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC (4GB) Graphics Card for now

Just saw this now: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04n-pl.html

Is it worth to upgraded to this card or better off stick with the one I got? As I don't play gaming at all. But I only use streaming online via youtube, eurosport player, nowtv, netflix, prime video etc

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks. But rather annoying all GPU graphic very hard to get it. I managed to get Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC (4GB) Graphics Card for now

Just saw this now: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04n-pl.html

Is it worth to upgraded to this card or better off stick with the one I got? As I don't play gaming at all. But I only use streaming online via youtube, eurosport player, nowtv, netflix, prime video etc

That's £450 for what is a £270 GPU two years ago, its what i paid for my 2070 Super and i though that was expensive https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x.b7142

No matter how desperate you are no one should be paying twice the price today for something from last gen.

Wait a bit longer, this ridiculous crap can't go on forever.

Edit: If you don't play games what you have is plenty good enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I learn while playing with my 5800x.

EDC and TDC governs single thread boost clock. Default for 5800x is 140A and 90A if I lower any of those my single core boost clock drops below my target clock (5.025GHz). They do very little to my temperatures.

TPP (package power) is default 140w, this governs the multi core load clock. If I lower it my 5800x drops from its 4.7GHz. But lowering it significantly reduce temperature under all core loads. 120w will give me 4.6 all core but my temp will be in the low 60c and 140w in the low 70c. So around 10c in it.

curve optimiser helps the temp a bit as well. But I think it really is just limit the voltages and saves the silicon from being damaged too fast.

Soldato
Thanks humbug I stick with my current graphic card. I agree all gpu graphic card are so ridiculous overpriced. I brought gtx 1050ti OC for £145 good price.

Soldato
Zen2 & 3 chips load up with 1.5V by default. Sometimes even over 1.5V. But as son as load is applied that volt drops quite a lot.

@1.5V the cpu doesn’t draw much current usually it is idle situation which means it should be doing 20-30w. So it won’t get hot.

Caporegime
Zen2 & 3 chips load up with 1.5V by default. Sometimes even over 1.5V. But as son as load is applied that volt drops quite a lot.

@1.5V the cpu doesn’t draw much current usually it is idle situation which means it should be doing 20-30w. So it won’t get hot.

Exactly, Voltage on its own has little bearing on Power Consumption or the CPU's health, its a combination of Volts and Amps and the CPU is not using any Amps if its not under load, so if its running very light background tasks at 4.9Ghz on one or two cores with 1.5v and 5 Amps its pulling 7.5 Watts, 1.5v X 5 Amps = 7.5 Watt's, its the 1.5v that allows the CPU to run those one or two cores at 4.9Ghz.

In a much higher load, like Cinebench MT, its now pulling 140 Amps, the volts are now 1.2v, that's 168 Watts and because the volts are lower the clocks are lower, around 4.6Ghz, if it was still pulling 1.5v with 140 Amps the power would be 210 Watts, which would be too high.

Last edited:
Soldato
@bulldog147 what you done there is effectively limiting the package power of the chip.

you can do achieve the same result by simply lower the Package Power value in PBO setting.

with respect to voltages it is best let ryzen (zen 3) do its own thing as it can then boost to the correct ST clock speed for those coveted gaming experiences.

Thermal is really current and package power. Limiting either or both in the PBO setting will have dramatic effect on chip temperature.

Soldato
that sounds like vdroop.?
There is vdroop from fixed vcore such as if you are doing manual OC and fixing Vcore to a set value 1.3V for instance

then there is dynamic voltage in accordance with CPU power and load.

with PBO and CO you don’t dial in any LLC cos it is countering what the algorithms hardwired into the CPUs are doing. The CPU wants to drop volts for a certain task while drawing certain amps. But if you set LLC high CPU can’t drop that volt and you can end up with crash for one or damages to the chip.

basically with PBO2 leave everything on auto and just set your CO values and let the chip manage itself and you sit back and enjoy the gaming experience.

In that respect it is a much better OC experience than zen2 where you had to faff about with EDC TDC and scalar.

for that reason, I don’t think that Ryzen Clocktuner is of any use anymore other than for those who really don’t want to run their chip to their full potential. But even that you can just limit the Package power to 65w 100w (whatever you fancy) so you get a nice and cool chip and then you can dial in a -ve offset in Vcore setting so the chip’s ceiling value isn’t 1.5V but something like 1.4V etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom