Please folks help me - I need advice on best possible PC Gaming System Specs (Budget £500-£600)

Associate
I need the advice from the folks at overclockers who are seasoned veterans in configuring and building gaming rigs or anybody who'd like to think they've accumulated enough knowledge in this area over the years.

I am unfortunately not able to spend £1000+ on a PC Gaming System, HOWEVER , I am an avid gamer who has simply not been able to indulge in his habit since 2009-2014 ( PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming years) and before this, I was raised on PC Gaming entirely from the late 90s into the 2000's.

Around 2008 early 2009 I kinda stuck with console gaming as I felt it was more affordable for me.

I want to know whats the best pre-built gaming pc I can buy in the budget of £600 say. Cannot go over. Close we can get down to £500 even better.

I need something which has room for upgrade-ability and a build which should let me play some of the top titles such as GTA V, Doom Eternal, Some Classic Resident Evil Games and any top PC gaming titles from the 2010's ( 2010 - 2019 )

I need a rig that will handle 'most' games at mid , mid-high settings easily for me whilst giving good enough experience. Is this possible ?

Can somebody advise me please what would be the best setup for me ? and where can I buy it from ?

Soldato
Something like this, you need to try and find a GPU second hand (Nvidia 1070 or something like that) no way to fit in your budget new. Alternative is to wait till some normality in the world and the prices of everything will go down again/be easier to find.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £484.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Associate
Something like this, you need to try and find a GPU second hand (Nvidia 1070 or something like that) no way to fit in your budget new. Alternative is to wait till some normality in the world and the prices of everything will go down again/be easier to find.

Total: £484.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Given the AMD APU's are out of stock I think it's a little irresponsible to advise someone to go AMD + dumpster diving for a used GPU, it's really not easy.
Either recommend something like a: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-043-pl.html
Or else suggest an Intel build. Used 1070's for reasonable money aren't exactly common due to the GPU shortage.

Not everyone knows that a 3600 has no means of display out despite there bing a VGA/HDMI on the Motherboard.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, also sorry I haven't read the rules regarding people not being allowed to suggest anyone other than OC's. It's just a little bit surprising since we're anyway marketing and promoting brands/vendors such as NVidia, AMD, Intel etc etc

How does one escape this ? Nonetheless, Thanks iamtheoneneo for your specs/recommendation. I need to look at OC's recommendation as well as finding a place to source all those bits n bobs heh. Do keep in mind I'm an absolute ultra newbie to 'custom gaming pc builds' so if I were to attempt this, It would be my first ever attempt at it.

Soldato
I'd go with an i5 11400 and B560 or H570 board as the 11400 has on board graphics so will be up to some light gaming while you try to find a GPU, it's also a much better CPU than the 3600 and will outperform it in all virtually all areas including gaming.

Associate
This is the closest I could get to your budget for a functional gaming PC, although honestly recommend looking at the used market on this kind of budget. You may have to confirm with support whether the CPU comes with paste for the box cooler though, as it is "B" grade. Also note that this does not include the Windows operating system, how and if you obtain it is up to you.

The PC will be functional and able to play popular titles on Medium or Low Graphics settings. Not amazing, but can be upgraded later with a better GPU when the market allows.

Total: £500.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As you've been here for over a year, I would expect some familiarity with the rules so I suggest you actually read them.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/help/boardRules/

I'm afraid I need to make you aware, I may have registered over a year ago but I implore you to look at my usage time on this site please. :)

I'm confident once you do this, you will forgive me for having asked what I asked. I normally don't go out of my way to read forum rules because I always behave responsibly. That said, I have not used OC's forum much.

Associate
OP
slightly off topic, please OC's don't get annoyed by me asking you guys this - I'd appreciate it heaps if you could answer.

Do you guys have the 'means' to safely test and if required, 'repair' Amiga's ?

bit of a long shot asking that.

I should perhaps go on an Amiga forum online, and find out but I figured if you guys have the tools to look at an Amiga 500+ for me I'd be happy to pay you for it. Let me know if thats possible thanks.

Soldato
Given the AMD APU's are out of stock I think it's a little irresponsible to advise someone to go AMD + dumpster diving for a used GPU, it's really not easy.
Either recommend something like a: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-043-pl.html
Or else suggest an Intel build. Used 1070's for reasonable money aren't exactly common due to the GPU shortage.

Not everyone knows that a 3600 has no means of display out despite there bing a VGA/HDMI on the Motherboard.
I never said it was easy. Nothing is easy with chip manufacturing in 2021. and my preference will always be to recommend people invest in a graphics card rather than go for some low budget option that will just lead to disappointment, and that currently means looking at the second hand market.
PC gaming is supposed to be about a certain standard of fidelity, if you cant reach that on a budget you might as well get a console.

Soldato
I never said it was easy. Nothing is easy with chip manufacturing in 2021. and my preference will always be to recommend people invest in a graphics card rather than go for some low budget option that will just lead to disappointment, and that currently means looking at the second hand market.
PC gaming is supposed to be about a certain standard of fidelity, if you cant reach that on a budget you might as well get a console.

PC gaming is also about the games you can’t get on console...RTS, Flight sim etc. Or the primary use of kB and mouse.

Associate
I never said it was easy. Nothing is easy with chip manufacturing in 2021. and my preference will always be to recommend people invest in a graphics card rather than go for some low budget option that will just lead to disappointment, and that currently means looking at the second hand market

Sure, but it's bad advice - at least given the suggested build.
I could agree with the second hand market if it was a complete build, but that's an entirely different argument.

Not only did OP say £600 is the hard upper limit, but nowhere did he say that an incomplete build was somehow acceptable. From what I'm reading you're asserting that it's entirely reasonable for someone who has limited experience buying PC parts to track down and buy a 1070 for about £120. This is also assuming a monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS come at 0 expense. Maybe if you could share some means to do this then fine, but I don't believe it. I've only seen the opportunity to buy a card on par or above a 1070 for about £200-£300, and even then only once of twice in the last 3 months, they are also on highly contested listings on peer to peer market places.

My solution is to suggest a build that not only has a working GPU but also has upgradeability and the headroom budget wise to get some other bits and pieces to start gaming. The GT 1030 isn't great but it will play games like fortnight, league and CSGO at around 1080p medium with ~60fps. It's not amazing but it's a start, there's also nothing to stop OP from replacing the GPU in 6 months or a years time if the funds and desire is there to do so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure, but it's bad advice - at least given the suggested build.
I could agree with the second hand market if it was a complete build, but that's an entirely different argument.

Not only did OP say £600 is the hard upper limit, but nowhere did he say that an incomplete build was somehow acceptable. From what I'm reading you're asserting that it's entirely reasonable for someone who has limited experience buying PC parts to track down and buy a 1070 for about £120. This is also assuming a monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS come at 0 expense. Maybe if you could share some means to do this then fine, but I don't believe it. I've only seen the opportunity to buy a card on par or above a 1070 for about £200-£300, and even then only once of twice in the last 3 months, they are also on highly contested listings on peer to peer market places.

My solution is to suggest a build that not only has a working GPU but also has upgradeability and the headroom budget wise to get some other bits and pieces to start gaming. The GT 1030 isn't great but it will play games like fortnight, league and CSGO at around 1080p medium with ~60fps. It's not amazing but it's a start, there's also nothing to stop OP from replacing the GPU in 6 months or a years time if the funds and desire is there to do so.
Cool. I don't care enough to argue about this, especially by your own admission you have also failed to create a build that has monitor, IO and and OS. Maybe someone else can come along and give a better suggestion than both of us.
OP can do what he likes these are all suggestions at the end of the day. Its not my money.

Associate
I was in a similar situation 5 years ago and bought a used system, then upgrade GPU, then recently replaced motherboard, cpu and memory.

Associate
OP can do what he likes these are all suggestions at the end of the day

Well as Feek said, buying new is unreasonable at this price point. Given there aren't any B grade GPU's around there isn't really a way to suggest anything explicitly that isn't against the forum rules; at least that would satisfy wanting to play Doom eternal at mid-high settings.

Really the budget ought to go up to ~800 or 900-1100 with monitor+peripherals to get something new that will beat consoles, as you can usually spec up a new 1660 super build around that price.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd just go for a chip with integrated graphics as atleast the PC would be usable and maybe play a few old games / run some emulators, put a bit of money aside each month and once the mining boom ends maybe try and pick a decent midrange card on the cheap.

The other alternative is to try pick an old used card like a gtx 770 or something similar which goes on the used market for around 50 quid and would still do the job at 1080 mid/low settings.

Permabanned
I'm afraid I need to make you aware, I may have registered over a year ago but I implore you to look at my usage time on this site please. :)

I'm confident once you do this, you will forgive me for having asked what I asked. I normally don't go out of my way to read forum rules because I always behave responsibly. That said, I have not used OC's forum much.

There was no need for him to speak to you in this way.

Not surprising considering he spends his whole life on here. With that many forum posts:cry:

Permabanned
As you've been here for over a year, I would expect some familiarity with the rules so I suggest you actually read them.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/help/boardRules/

I bet you’ve got them tattooed on your bum. There is no need to speak to people in such a tone.

maybe get sone fresh air, instead of spending your life on a forum, and you may have a better outlook in life in general.

Soldato
I bet you’ve got them tattooed on your bum. There is no need to speak to people in such a tone.

maybe get sone fresh air, instead of spending your life on a forum, and you may have a better outlook in life in general.
speak? tone? all i see are typed words. is there some form of vocal communication taking place i'm not privy to?! all i see is some words advising the op to read the rules. dunno for why you've gotten all whipped up about that!

Back
Top Bottom