Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
I've been trying to find an alternative to advfn.
Don't like their cluttered website and the fact you cannot cancel on website but must do via post. But I do really like the realtime stock monitor.

I've looked at alternatives and nothing has come close so far.

Anyone recommend me something?

Soldato
You could take the view that UK stocks are relatively cheap right now because of the lingering Brexit damage and our mismanagement of the pandemic. Things can only really improve long term.

Look at where the growth industries are though, tech is all in the US markets, even UK tech firms usually list there. If you just buy a FTSE tracker you're excluding all the money-printing tech behemoths that span the globe.

Personally I like to hold a mix of EUR, GBP and USD assets, just as a hedge against any massive currency moves anyway, and I prefer tech stocks as I know them best, so largely USD anyway. I have a German state pension, and a HKD denominated pension knocking around too, although that's still pegged to the dollar.

Associate
I've been trying to find an alternative to advfn.
Don't like their cluttered website and the fact you cannot cancel on website but must do via post. But I do really like the realtime stock monitor.

I've looked at alternatives and nothing has come close so far.

Anyone recommend me something?
Wow. Just checked out their website and it looks like the design hasn't been updated in 20 years!

For what it is worth, I use Yahoo Finance or Marketwatch for real time stock prices.

Soldato
Just started setting up a portfolio myself.

Currently investing in:

FUNDS:
L&G Future World ESG Developed Index

SHARES:
Cellular Goods PLC
Cvs Group PLC
Ibstock PLC

ETFs:
First Trust Cloud Computing UCITS

INVESTMENT TRUSTS:
Canadian General LD COM NPV

Looking to expand the portfolio over the coming year - Started off with being quite diverse over difference instruments and industries, but once established I am wanting to look into some more high risk investments for some longer term potential gains.

Problem is I now cant stop checking my phone 5 times a day to see what they are doing :D - Pointless I know, especially at such an early stage. Although is is nice seeing "green" against all but one of them so far (even if the deal feels haven't been earned back yet).

Soldato
Wow. Just checked out their website and it looks like the design hasn't been updated in 20 years!

For what it is worth, I use Yahoo Finance or Marketwatch for real time stock prices.

This the problem when people read the Naked Trader. Despite it being republished several times it's well out of date. Mostly in its recommendations so some of the advice will be now too.

Soldato
This does seem a reasonable take

Excluding dividends is not reasonable though, proper comparison is by reinvesting those gains.

@TihoBrkan
Today, stocks & bond valuations are in their 95th-99th percentile dating back 100 years plus. The next 10+ years does not look good. Central banks have squeezed all the juice out of the traditional portfolio by borrowing returns from the future and pulling them to the present.

The largest company in that global fund is interesting and they got 15m of Tencent 15 years ago was it just sold some. Alibaba also up 6% today on only taking a 2bn fine lol

simply Google and do your own research
Do both, a forum is going to represent some real world views where as company publishing an article has to worry about libel and all sorts. A real estimation is fairly rare, a lot of content is fairly automated just stats.

Last edited:
Caporegime
bleh sold 20% of my nio stock before I read about the ford news.

thought I'd be able to buy that 20% back it it dips below my average again which is like 37$, guess that won't happen now

Caporegime
Palantir finally!
until employee sell more shares probably.

the ceo dood or whoever it was sells over a million shares a month, theres like a -11% growth fight per year because of the option rewards for staff

I think his wage was like 900k but around 12mil a year in stock

seems people expect PLTR to get lvl6 clearance though which would open up a ton of government contracts apparently

Associate
bleh sold 20% of my nio stock before I read about the ford news.

thought I'd be able to buy that 20% back it it dips below my average again which is like 37$, guess that won't happen now

I sold most of my Nio shares. Sentiment was not good. I've kept 1000 though at $18 average. Long term i'm very bullish but i needed to reinvest the money elsewhere. It was stuck in a rut with NIO around the 40 dollar mark.

Associate
Are you selling, waiting for demo day this week? Or just keep holding?

Nope this is a long term hold for me, been invested for a month or two now and I really like where this company is going! Of course tomorrow it all could go pear shaped but thats US tech stock for you.

until employee sell more shares probably.

the ceo dood or whoever it was sells over a million shares a month, theres like a -11% growth fight per year because of the option rewards for staff

I think his wage was like 900k but around 12mil a year in stock

seems people expect PLTR to get lvl6 clearance though which would open up a ton of government contracts apparently

Its a bit like the company I work for - Discovery channel - Highest paid CEO in the world and all members of the board have been flogging off their shares recently which tanked the price. Thing is though we have been making massive investments in sport and entertainment content and looking to add more with online streaming platforms.

Back
Top Bottom