London to Glasgow, should I take the M1 or M6?

Soldato
You're the one throwing out links and preaching the legalities of travel on a web page that has 'guidance' in the title, rather than being the legislation.

Please post up the legislation, quoting exactly what is and isn't allowed?

I take it you're a legal professional given you're dishing out advice on travel allowed?

I'm not preaching anything I'm simply showing what is in black and white on the scot gov website. Your interpretation of that is obviously different to mine.

Soldato
Pig of a day up and down I no the same day

used to do this sort of thing every day for a living

pleasant it is not

worst was Glasgow to Inverness to Plymouth back to Glasgow same day. Overnight somewhere would be my advice or take someone to stint the driving with you

Soldato
Just go with whatever route Waze says is the best and you won’t go wrong.

In terms of the length of the drive, I reckon you’ll be fine. I do those kinds of distances every month or two with no issues, just need to make sure you get a good night’s sleep beforehand and take a break if you feel tired.

Soldato
Soldato
It's this legislation: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/344/contents
and particularly, this part:

All regions of mainland Scotland are currently level 4.

Quoting that one point in 15 makes it sound like we're trapped in Scotland and there's no travel allowed :D:D:D

There's also a large section on reasons you can travel to/from Scotland ;)

People should read up on this and make their own decision.

Man of Honour
Driving 4+ hours in a decent truck is far more comfortable / less taxing than the same time spent in a decent car, yes the truck is arguably more risky but the field of vision makes for a far more relaxing drive, you simply have a perspective no car driver gets, it makes the world of difference.

As for the OP, M6, M74 every time.

Plus the seats... the passenger seat + leg room + accommodation for stuff like a laptop, etc. is hard to match.

M6 + A74(M) though is the route to use unless it is super congested - I take that one every chance I get.

Man of Honour
Just go with whatever route Waze says is the best and you won’t go wrong.

In terms of the length of the drive, I reckon you’ll be fine. I do those kinds of distances every month or two with no issues, just need to make sure you get a good night’s sleep beforehand and take a break if you feel tired.

Gonna be different for everyone - personally it doesn't really hit me until I stop - the moment it is over I just wipe out. I could probably drive for 2 days straight with no significant impairment (I wouldn't try it casually) but the recovery wouldn't be pretty. Same with long distance travel in general I'm just too wired once on the journey I can't sleep on trains or planes, etc. as long as I stray hydrated I'm fine until I get to my destination then just crash.

Soldato
Gonna be different for everyone - personally it doesn't really hit me until I stop - the moment it is over I just wipe out. I could probably drive for 2 days straight with no significant impairment (I wouldn't try it casually) but the recovery wouldn't be pretty. Same with long distance travel in general I'm just too wired once on the journey I can't sleep on trains or planes, etc. as long as I stray hydrated I'm fine until I get to my destination then just crash.
I actually feel worse if I take a break, takes me ages to get back in to it again.

Soldato

I've always recovered OK provided I get a good night's sleep, I'm a naturally early riser anyway so I'm normally up at 7AM the next day, even if it was a particularly long drive. I have a weird ability to focus on a task, despite whatever else might be going on in my head or around me. I once drove about 15 minutes with blood pouring from my head (long story), felt OK when driving but then almost passed out as soon as I got out of the car and sat down in the hospital. I've also done Florida / Georgia to San Antonio in one go several times and always feel fine the next day. Having a comfortable car definitely helps a lot.

Soldato
OP
Done it, like I said I was probably going on Wednesday so I went yesterday.

Went via m6 and m74, didn't use the m6 toll, as the m6 was ok, no traffic and same thing on the way back.
6 hours to get there, 1 hour there to do what I had to do, 6 hours to get back and 1 hour again to finish what I had to do, with only 1 stop each way to use the toilet.
Didn't feel tired or anything, was completely fine, would do it again if needed no problem.

It cost me £140 in fuel + £70 to rent the van.

Last edited:
Soldato
to rent the van.
which van type ? transits I've used for moving, are nice to drive, but, might be noisy on a M-way.

Yeah like Geekman said - if I'm concentrating on a task I can go on and on, as soon as I take a break, etc. it catches up with me.
the eye tracking cameras (in most lorries now ?) will soon tell us private drivers if we are awake + lane keeping tech.

Back
Top Bottom