Logitech Officially Discontinues Harmony Remotes

Man of Honour
Extremely niche usage requirements which 99.9% of people will never have.

I can play music, control TV and amp all off the one remote but that's because I use YouTube music subscription Vs CDs and Don't have a seperate hifi amp.
My TV remote doesn't control my AV amp, my Apple TV, my Sky box etc. My Sky remote can't control anything but itself. The Apple TV remote can't control everything. So there still is a place for a Harmony remote. Even without my hifi etc it would still be used as it's the only product which can control everything including all the various functions.

I'm happy for you and your TV remote, but just because you can't see a use for a product doesn't mean it's useless.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
It's a shame but with the shift towards people using apps (mainly on their TV) rather than individual devices, it's not surprising.

That's my thinking too. I accept some people have kit that would require multiple remotes to use, and the harmony remotes would be of use.

But with smart TVs now, everything is controlled with the single remote. I don't even need to switch on my sonos beam, the TV does that automatically.

Soldato
That's my thinking too. I accept some people have kit that would require multiple remotes to use, and the harmony remotes would be of use.

But with smart TVs now, everything is controlled with the single remote. I don't even need to switch on my sonos beam, the TV does that automatically.

Depends on how complex your system is. My programmable remotes control 12 devices. No way a single bundled remote can do that, nor can apps in such a simple way.

Music selection is easier with the app, but controlling devices from app is either not possible, or rubbish.

Soldato
And the 10 macros with roughly 8 commands per macro,. multiple devices controlled in a single activity etc.

The only way would be to get custom app, with ability to do all that. But touch screen remotes suck, so no thanks.

I did use Logitech harmony remote but that was many years ago, I didn't like it.

Maybe latest gen LCD/ hard button models have been improved. I hope you can set them up without having Logitech internet access, if they shut down servers that means have useless remote if you need to alter configuration.

Soldato
Extremely niche usage requirements which 99.9% of people will never have.

I can play music, control TV and amp all off the one remote but that's because I use YouTube music subscription Vs CDs and Don't have a seperate hifi amp.

You're wrong!
I have three of them in my semi dethatched house. Just because your sky remote does what you need on your mid range tv's doesn't mean there is no market for them for us people with top of the range tv's, I even have a harmony on my mid range XF90.

Caporegime
You're wrong!
I have three of them in my semi dethatched house. Just because your sky remote does what you need on your mid range tv's doesn't mean there is no market for them for us people with top of the range tv's, I even have a harmony on my mid range XF90.

Clearly is no market for them if Logitech have pulled out of the market.

Or do you think the CEO meeting went. The Harmony remote market is doing well with strong growth. I think we should disband it.

Sounds legit.

Soldato

Or do you think the CEO meeting went. The Harmony remote market is doing well with strong growth. I think we should disband it.

Sounds legit.
Most people are happy with tv and soundbar.

Good luck figuring out and controlling my systems hahahaha I put all remotes down once and probably size of a3 piece of paper..for one activity would need to use three remotes at least

Soldato

Sounds legit.

At least you didn't disagree on the XF90 being a mid range tv...

Good luck figuring out and controlling my systems hahahaha I put all remotes down once and probably size of a3 piece of paper..for one activity would need to use three remotes at least

This, even my other half agrees the remotes are fantastic. I have a smart plug on my sub with a button press at night time I can turn it off then lower the living room lights with the top light button.

@ChrisD. - my other half should be picking up an M140i this week... (spotted it in your sig)

Last edited:
Soldato

Sounds legit.

There is a market for £15,000 av pre amps.

Lyndorf, storm and trinnov.

They are hdmi switches, multi channel pre amp, room EQ devices. They don't have any amplifiers but there is still demand that several companies product £10,000+ av pre amps.

Caporegime
At least you didn't disagree on the XF90 being a mid range tv...

This, even my other half agrees the remotes are fantastic. I have a smart plug on my sub with a button press at night time I can turn it off then lower the living room lights with the top light button.

It's FALD. So it's arguably mid to high or bottom of high range.

Budget = cheap crap from the likes of JVC, Polaroid, etc. Going up to hisense and Phillips on the higher end of budget.

Mid range = Decent edge lit panels on the lower end and FALD at the higher end.

High end = oled and bright FALD sets with more zones.

There is an argument for a sector in-between mod range and high end it could fall into with mid range taken up by Just decent edge lit stuff like the tu8000.

The xf90 in 55 inch form had a launch price of 1800 euros for instance.

Soldato
Sad to see.

I'm still using my old Harmony One that I've had for 10+yrs. The original battery still lasts an age and it just works, so there's nothing to really upgrade to anyway unless I wanted app control. But how many control hubs does one household need :p

Soldato
My Sky remote can't control anything but itself.

Well, it does have some limited multi-device support. Mine is programmed to control the power and input on my TV, and the volume on my amplifier. That just about satisfies the other half in terms of simplicity!

Doesn't compete with a Harmony though, although I haven't had one for a few years, I was planning to once I got my new rack all set up and everything wired in :(

Back
Top Bottom