Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
OP
Rumours doing the rounds is that they will travel into the past.

Now, two takes on that. They will mess it up and cast some random bald guy as a young Picard and stick the final nail in the TNG coffin......or as someone mentioned before, do a really great job with cgi like the DS9 and VOY anniversary episodes.

You know which path they'll take.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Now, two takes on that. They will mess it up and cast some random bald guy as a young Picard and stick the final nail in the TNG coffin......or as someone mentioned before, do a really great job with cgi like the DS9 and VOY anniversary episodes.

Yep. Almost certainly the former. And Jonney will love it :p:D

Caporegime

What was the voyager anniversary episode cgi about? I think i seen the ds9 clip which was a high res version of a battle sequence, don't recall the voyager one.

Associate
Did you also love how he was constantly called JL?

JL is just so much better. Hippy, modern and cool.

Not! :p

Yeah, the JL nickname gave me shudders everytime it was said. Grated like nails down a chalkboard. I get the intention, they're trying to show these two characters have a history. But, can you imagine the withering look if one of the tng crew ever called him JL?! Even after he mellowed a lot from season 1 to the finale. One of the things you loved about Picard. He didn't need to be handy with the fists like a Kirk. A look had most foes running for the hills.
A civilian might get away with it but not someone who served under him for any length of time. It's just wrong.

I guess part of it is Sir Patrick himself these days is a much more relaxed, jovial man than he was back in those early tng days. Think I saw a quote where he was asked, what's one bit of advice you'd give yourself? Answer was to lighten up!

Soldato
OP
Yeah, the JL nickname gave me shudders everytime it was said. Grated like nails down a chalkboard. I get the intention, they're trying to show these two characters have a history. But, can you imagine the withering look if one of the tng crew ever called him JL?! Even after he mellowed a lot from season 1 to the finale. One of the things you loved about Picard. He didn't need to be handy with the fists like a Kirk. A look had most foes running for the hills.
A civilian might get away with it but not someone who served under him for any length of time. It's just wrong.

I guess part of it is Sir Patrick himself these days is a much more relaxed, jovial man than he was back in those early tng days. Think I saw a quote where he was asked, what's one bit of advice you'd give yourself? Answer was to lighten up!

Oh you just know what one of Q's lines is going to be next season

"Bonjour, mon capitaine!" ......or should I now call you JL

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Indeed. It is just not the same Picard. Seems like a different universe. Like you know ones they do where they meet themselves from a different universe and the other one is evil or something.

I didn't realise how camp he was (Patrick Stewart) until you see some of the out takes. It does show what a great actor he once was.

Agreed. Age has taken a toll on him. But to be fair he is nearly 80.

Oh you just know what one of Q's lines is going to be next season

"Bonjour, mon capitaine!" ......or should I now call you JL

Lol. That would be funny actually :D

Q should take the **** out of it and then after that move on and hope we never hear it again!

Associate
Indeed. It is just not the same Picard. Seems like a different universe. Like you know ones they do where they meet themselves from a different universe and the other one is evil or something.

As you say, he's nearly 80 but while he doesn't seem to have the same gravitas as before I think that's more a reflection of the character than the actor. TNG Picard was the Captain of the flagship of the federation. He could backup what he said as he had the authority and the power to do it.
Older Picard doesn't have power or authority anymore as we see when he tries to pull himself out of mothballs. That's completely alien to us who grew up watching him so it's going to be a bit jarring.
Acting and character wise he's still more than capable of giving 'the look' and hitting someone with a speech on morality, like the reporter got. He just can't really follow it up as much.

fez

fez

Caporegime
As you say, he's nearly 80 but while he doesn't seem to have the same gravitas as before I think that's more a reflection of the character than the actor. TNG Picard was the Captain of the flagship of the federation. He could backup what he said as he had the authority and the power to do it.

They've just written him as a pathetic shadow of the old Picard to fit in with their "old white man who had all the power but now is a relic" rhetoric. Its really sad what they have done to his character. Picard was one of the most progressive characters on TV when TNG was airing. He didn't need messing with and watering down.

Back
Top Bottom