• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
i wanted one, hated miners, but you know what, thought i cant get a new gpu, so may as well mine on the one i own, never mined in my life, the lack of gpu's forced me to mine, as the vega is that great anymore,still decent but not great, so gave up games for time being to mine,lol

Associate
I expect GPU stocks to be dumped once eth PoS goes fully online in early 2022. Combined with the likely end of bull run there should be some cheap options as all miners race to the bottom trying to get rid of their supplies.

No way is Eth going going fully PoS in early 2022. Everything that Eth has ever done in its lifecycle has been years behind. I do agree thought that the bull run will end near the end of this year so that should free up some supply

Soldato
Just been keeping an eye on two 2080's on the auction site, exact same model as mine (EVGA Black) and they sold for £600! :eek:

...It's approaching the point where I could (potentially) sell mine for more than I paid for it (£650) two years ago.

Madness.

Soldato
It’s a shame really, perfect storm of corona virus impacting supply chains, general demand for consumer electronics and a crypto boom.

I was really lucky and picked up a 3070 FE which at the time I thought was way overkill but very happy to have it now.

I also managed to pick up a 6700XT from OCUK with the voucher code although that has gone back as I can’t justify the PC O was going to build with it.

I think things will start to get closer to normal when/if there’s a big crypto crash and the vaccine roll out increases globally.

Associate
i wanted one, hated miners, but you know what, thought i cant get a new gpu, so may as well mine on the one i own, never mined in my life, the lack of gpu's forced me to mine, as the vega is that great anymore,still decent but not great, so gave up games for time being to mine,lol
I'm doing that exact same thing with my 1080ti. If I can mine enough to get the extra funds to get what I want then so be it. I mine from when I'm asleep till I go back to gaming around 8pm. Around 20 hours of mining. I tried eth but it takes so long to get anything so on etc at the moment.

Soldato
At the current rate mining will definitely become unprofitable by EIP1559 which is in July. Might as well since mining during summer temperatures is a PITA.

The sellout of GPUs is going to be of epic proportions.

V F

V F

Soldato
At the current rate mining will definitely become unprofitable by EIP1559 which is in July. Might as well since mining during summer temperatures is a PITA.

The sellout of GPUs is going to be of epic proportions.

Everytime I've read or heard someone say that, another year passes with the same problems.

Associate
Just been keeping an eye on two 2080's on the auction site, exact same model as mine (EVGA Black) and they sold for £600! :eek:

...It's approaching the point where I could (potentially) sell mine for more than I paid for it (£650) two years ago.

Madness.
This world is becoming increasingly strange

Soldato
No way is Eth going going fully PoS in early 2022. Everything that Eth has ever done in its lifecycle has been years behind. I do agree thought that the bull run will end near the end of this year so that should free up some supply
I dont know about that... Vitalik Buterin hates miners, he seems pretty eager to push PoS.

Soldato
Unless scalping is addressed any new card supply from miners will be snapped up by scalpers.

The only effect really would be a bunch of cheap cards on ebay, but I think there might still be enough people who only want to buy brand new around to buy everything the scalpers put up.

Associate
Unless scalping is addressed any new card supply from miners will be snapped up by scalpers.

The only effect really would be a bunch of cheap cards on ebay, but I think there might still be enough people who only want to buy brand new around to buy everything the scalpers put up.
It’s not totally true, if supply meets demand, then scalping will disappear.

But yea with the current supply, the most efficient way to remove scalpers would be to auction the cards.

Soldato
It’s not totally true, if supply meets demand, then scalping will disappear.

Thats never happened though. I have only ever seen scalping stopped via legislation. The manufacturers are not going to over supply the market, they dont want unsold stock. Those days are not coming back sadly.

If supply increases then the scalpers will just absorb it and buy more.

Associate
Thats never happened though. I have only ever seen scalping stopped via legislation. The manufacturers are not going to over supply the market, they dont want unsold stock. Those days are not coming back sadly.

If supply increases then the scalpers will just absorb it and buy more.
I think you have a slightly biased view.

Suppliers will meet demand at the point that maximise the profits.

The scalping does not profit the suppliers.

There is a global chip shortage, it’s not the suppliers preventing 30x0s to be produced.

Maybe you can make a case that the chips producers are on purpose reducing supply: this would be possible because it is a near monopoly, but GPU third party producers would make more by supplying more.

Associate

I only want to buy brand new. Spending +500£ on a second hand GPU... No thanks, I would rather spend more and buy it new, with its warranty and everything.

Now, that doesn't mean I am willing to pay any price asked, or that I would consider buying from a scalper really, does it? Buying from a scalper is not the same as buying brand new, it's second hand even if they claim not having used the card.

The prices will fall once sellers struggle to sell at current prices, as simple as that. Miners selling their cards because of a crash, enough supply for every crazy person willing to pay current prices... Any will do the trick really, although it doesn't look likely in the near future.

Soldato

From what i've gathered so far, it's mostly miners that are buying from Scalpers. It's almost like miners are putting in Orders with scalpers who are using bots to purchase them in mass whenever they can.

I've seen this in a few discord channels where scalpers are openly talking about supplying miners.

Soldato
I think you have a slightly biased view.

Suppliers will meet demand at the point that maximise the profits.

The scalping does not profit the suppliers.

There is a global chip shortage, it’s not the suppliers preventing 30x0s to be produced.

Maybe you can make a case that the chips producers are on purpose reducing supply: this would be possible because it is a near monopoly, but GPU third party producers would make more by supplying more.

The manufacturers have realised under supplying the market is more profitable vs over supplying. The kick starter was the hdd factory floods.

Soldato
From what i've gathered so far, it's mostly miners that are buying from Scalpers. It's almost like miners are putting in Orders with scalpers who are using bots to purchase them in mass whenever they can.

I've seen this in a few discord channels where scalpers are openly talking about supplying miners.

Now if thats true then fair enough, not sure it is though, remember the consoles have the same problem and I dont know of anyone mining with consoles.

Scalping has hit multiple markets, and i have only seen it addressed in one market via legislation.

Back
Top Bottom