Prince Philip has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I am intrigued as to what exactly is required during 8 days of "National Mourning".

Saw a report on Sky News this morning where the reporter mentioned the fact that non-essential shops were opening tomorrow "but now obviously with a more sombre aspect to it".

Unfortunately they didnt go on to explain how a shop can open with a "more sombre aspect". Decorate the front display with black cloth ? all shop workers to wear black ? Removing all frivolous items from sale ?

It is very bizarre how the media have gone all 1950's since the death was announced.

Should I not go out this week without a black armband ?

The documentation probably hasn't been kept up to date over the years, so we're on the 1950's version of events still... I get that in IT when I'm trying to fix something that Dave put together 10 years ago but he's since left and no one kept the docs up to date. I put the news on once and it was a bit weird. It was like, "This has just happened so now we expect this to happen. Here's x to go into way too much detail about what this new thing that's about to happen is." Rinse and repeat for every little piece of the itinery.

On a side note I'm no royal fan but RIP. Losing anyone is rubbish for those involved.

Man of Honour
I could be completely on the wrong track here but by any chance was the distancing from Diana anything to do with her being with a foreigner?

This is a very contentious subject Tony, as I’m sure that you will appreciate, obviously I have no idea of how the Royal Family saw it, but I think that it’s fair to say that a lot of soi-disant “patriots”, viewed the very idea of “their Princess” being involved with a Muslim as deeply distressing.
Personally I could have cared less if she’d been involved with a Muslim, a Peruvian, an Aussie, or indeed an Oriental.
I almost included a Frenchman, but as attractive as she undeniably was, she would have had to try really hard to snag one of God’s own ;) , détends-toi, je plaisante!

Soldato
This is a very contentious subject Tony, as I’m sure that you will appreciate, obviously I have no idea of how the Royal Family saw it, but I think that it’s fair to say that a lot of soi-disant “patriots”, viewed the very idea of “their Princess” being involved with a Muslim as deeply distressing.
Personally I could have cared less if she’d been involved with a Muslim, a Peruvian, an Aussie, or indeed an Oriental.
I almost included a Frenchman, but as attractive as she undeniably was, she would have had to try really hard to snag one of God’s own ;) , détends-toi, je plaisante!
LOL I take it the missus is reading over your shoulder.

Soldato
Seriously rob as the person that is proud to have been banned by Diane Abbott on twitter I dont think Im the one with 'everything through the lens of bigotry' problem or 'go through life in such a miserable way'.

It's insanely easy to be blocked by Diane Abbott, just correct her facts, that really isn't a good point to make

Associate
:p

Soldato
The French man was driving, no?

Soldato
Henri Paul had too much booze apparently
And this is totally off topic however I have never ever seen a tunnel anywhere before that time with spaced out central columns and no crash barriers between. Allowing a head on collision between a vehicle and a column. @Jean-F should appreciate that being a taxi driver. End rant as it is disrespectful in this thread.

Soldato
wow! you really have a serious problem, don't you? Everything is through the lens of bigotry for you, you really have my sympathy to go through your life in such a miserable way and I do think you have a mild obsession with social justice that's bordering on OCD.

It didn't even pop into my head at the time and or in this conversation. I was only 20 at the time and fresh out of education, I had zero interest in politics at the time.

I wouldn't give too much value to his views, if Tony wasn't posting his opinions on OcUK he'd be writing them in excrement on his wall

Man of Honour
Henri Paul had too much booze apparently

Henri Paul’s parents, and the people of his home town, Lorient, Brittany, never believed that he was drunk at the time of the crash which killed Dodi Fayed and Princess Diana, he had an aviation medical to retain his pilots licence 72 hours prior to the incident, and claims that he was an alcoholic and a depressive were dismissed.
A wreath at his funeral proclaimed, “Nous ne sommes pas dupes”, (We are not fooled).
It’s impossible to prove, especially 24/25 years after the event, but I think that he may possibly have been a “patsy”, along the lines of Jack Ruby in the JFK assassination, it’s all buried in the mists of time.

Soldato
The mists of time seem very clear about him driving into a tunnel at double the speed and alcohol limits hence the final say on the matter being that he lost control while driving negligently.

Associate
Henri Paul’s parents, and the people of his home town, Lorient, Brittany, never believed that he was drunk at the time of the crash which killed Dodi Fayed and Princess Diana, he had an aviation medical to retain his pilots licence 72 hours prior to the incident, and claims that he was an alcoholic and a depressive were dismissed.
A wreath at his funeral proclaimed, “Nous ne sommes pas dupes”, (We are not fooled).
It’s impossible to prove, especially 24/25 years after the event, but I think that he may possibly have been a “patsy”, along the lines of Jack Ruby in the JFK assassination, it’s all buried in the mists of time.
You are right, there were a lot of discussions about this at the time, I remember now.

Soldato

Ok so if it was a conspiracy, how did they make it happen? It was Diana and Dodi who decided to sneak out the back, use a different driver, take that car and that route, nobody else. It was a tragic accident of their own making but caused by their eagerness to outwit the rabid French paparazzi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom