• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Now if thats true then fair enough, not sure it is though, remember the consoles have the same problem and I dont know of anyone mining with consoles.

Scalping has hit multiple markets, and i have only seen it addressed in one market via legislation.
Scalping isn't so bad on the console market as supply is slowly catching up and you can see from the prices of scalped ones coming down. I think its a lot more apparent and serious on the gpu market as there isn't just demand from one group but from both gamers and miners where miners are needing 5-6 cards per rig and having multiple rigs. Where as with consoles, you only need one and that's it you're done.

Associate
The manufacturers have realised under supplying the market is more profitable vs over supplying. The kick starter was the hdd factory floods.
Only people who have a near monopoly can form a cartel.

Manufacturers such as Asus and MSI don’t have enough monopoly power to do this.

Chips manufacturer do, but have you read the news? I thought everybody knew that there has been a general chip shortage?

Associate
It will be interesting to see in the long run if the console market takes a share of the Market. With all the lack of availability of everything, it's very hard to get a grasp of the full picture.

I think this is the first time I don't know anyone with either a new console or a new generation GFX card, then again, we are all 7 years older.

Soldato
Only people who have a near monopoly can form a cartel.

Manufacturers such as Asus and MSI don’t have enough monopoly power to do this.

Chips manufacturer do, but have you read the news? I thought everybody knew that there has been a general chip shortage?

Manufacturers produce chips. We will probably find out in half a dozen years or so after years of legal action, similar to how the dimm price jacking took years to reach a conclusion.

Associate
No chance is it anyones interest for this to go back to normal ? Only gamers

Might as well keep holding stock back and drip feed supply

It will, at some point supply will meet with demand, its in AMD and Nvidia's best interest that it does go back to how it was. With GPUs becoming such a high value item the market they have all to themselves will be drawing a lot of attention, intel for example and you can bet your eye teeth there are a number of smaller businesses investing in a little research.

Associate
It will be interesting to see in the long run if the console market takes a share of the Market. With all the lack of availability of everything, it's very hard to get a grasp of the full picture.

I think this is the first time I don't know anyone with either a new console or a new generation GFX card, then again, we are all 7 years older.

I definitely feel this sentiment. I'm probably the only person in my friends group who has managed to get RTX 30XX cards (and that's because I've been using stock alert channels, etc); my less techy PC gamer friends haven't stood a chance. I don't know a single person who has managed to get a PS5 though; they're an enigma.

Associate
Same boat as most on here, my current rig is now nearly 8 years old but looking at the state of the PC market right now I'm just going to keep running with what I got. I'm so glad I nagged a 1080TI a few years back, have barely used it up 'til now but it was just rotten luck that I got into PC gaming right as the shortages hit, so it's doing me ok right now!

Associate
I definitely feel this sentiment. I'm probably the only person in my friends group who has managed to get RTX 30XX cards (and that's because I've been using stock alert channels, etc); my less techy PC gamer friends haven't stood a chance. I don't know a single person who has managed to get a PS5 though; they're an enigma.
Its actually easier to get hold of a PS5 then a decent priced GPU. Although GPU drops seem to happen more often when consoles drop they tend to be in larger numbers? I think that popular high street store is a good indicator of supply and demand. Currently they pay just £20 over RRP for a PS5 where as GPUs are still hugely inflated, i.e. scalpers can easily make a small profit by selling GPUs to them.

Associate
Extreme measures - just received a £1720 pre-built with a:

Gigabyte 6800 XT Gaming OC
5800X
MSI B550M Bazooka
2x4GB PC-2666 (I have 2x8GB PC-3200 spare)
240GB Sata SSD (I have a 2TB Sabrent 3 Plus)
Corsair case (quite tidy actually)
750W Modular Gold Corsair PSU

Put GPU and CPU in my PC, and swap R5 3600 and ATI 7970 back into the prebuilt as a secondary PC.

Associate
Extreme measures - just received a £1720 pre-built with a:

Gigabyte 6800 XT Gaming OC
5800X
MSI B550M Bazooka
2x4GB PC-2666 (I have 2x8GB PC-3200 spare)
240GB Sata SSD (I have a 2TB Sabrent 3 Plus)
Corsair case (quite tidy actually)
750W Modular Gold Corsair PSU

Put GPU and CPU in my PC, and swap R5 3600 and ATI 7970 back into the prebuilt as a secondary PC.
I think you got a decent deal there, well done. :)

Associate
I think prebuilts might have to be the way forward for a bit. I am surprised that stores (like OC) aren't doing offers whereby you can get a gfx card with RAM or some other item bundled. That way people upgrading are more likely to go for it?

Soldato
I think prebuilts might have to be the way forward for a bit. I am surprised that stores (like OC) aren't doing offers whereby you can get a gfx card with RAM or some other item bundled. That way people upgrading are more likely to go for it?

Scalpers will still buy them regardless, PS5 bundles are an example.

Soldato
My daughter's housemate was going to jump into PCMR and asked me for a once over before looking to buy. I explained that unless he is willing to pay stupid money for a GPU then leave it. It really has gotten to this point where people are unable to jump ship from console to PC.

Associate
Second hand Gpu market is cooling down now. Its still crazy prices but, its slowing, so im guessing the curve is flattening in general.

Soldato
Well... I'm still enjoying my new car. Peed off with my 3D printing so taking a break. Current project is getting my house ready for sale.

In short... I'm not too bothered about a new card just yet. I really wish I could buy an updated one for my daughter though. Bought her an iPad air for her Birthday and accessories, so $1000 into all that fun.

Maybe one day I'll see a *deal on a GPU lol, and actually upgrade.

(* deal = MSRP price lol)

Associate
My daughter's housemate was going to jump into PCMR and asked me for a once over before looking to buy. I explained that unless he is willing to pay stupid money for a GPU then leave it. It really has gotten to this point where people are unable to jump ship from console to PC.
I thought prebuilt systems were still an option? Obviously in normal times I'd always say build your own but these are very different circumstances...

Associate
Til Bitcoin jumps again then craziness will ensue!!! :D

Second hand Gpu market is cooling down now. Its still crazy prices but, its slowing, so im guessing the curve is flattening in general.

When Bitcoin go`s over the 60 mark and starts hitting new highs Gpu`demand will increase the pressure is on to hit 100,000 by year end.

Back
Top Bottom