Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2021, Sakhir - Race 1/23

Rate the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Transmission breaker
Don
Also, (as stated in the article) is it not possible he was referring to his council house, rather than the larger 6 bed shown in the article??
Seems more plausible, but that's hardly such an interesting headline is it?

I mean, the guy's dad was clearly motivated, and became very successful (not only at raising/funding a champion F1 driver) in his own right with his own company.

I think the house upgrade was always on the cards when he could manage it. Would you have done it differently?

Associate
It's no more true than the idea they were paupers. Anthony was an IT manager on decent money, he founded a company and worked three jobs to pay for Lewis to race.

He worked 3 jobs because it allowed him more flexibility to travel with Lewis.

https://thenetline.com/everything-we-know-about-lewis-hamilton-parents/

"Motorsport is not a cheap sport, and for a while, Anthony managed to support Lewis with the salary he earned as an information technology manager. However, the job didn’t allow him to travel with his son to races, and so he quit his job and picked up smaller flexible jobs. It allowed him to travel with Lewis, but it was tiresome work."

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Ok, can we talk about this in the off-topic thread.

This has nothing to do with the race at Bahrain, thanks.

Soldato
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021...al-issue-cost-verstappen-0-3s-lap-in-bahrain/

I thought engine power modes could not be altered from qualifying to race trim, or during the race itself?
The changes were more about how the electrical energy is harvested and deployed. They're still able to make basic mode changes, but not the drastic modes they used in qualifying.

These are the sort of issues which mean regardless of performance that Mercedes are still favourites in my opinion. Perez and Gasly are already on their second "energy store" and "control electronics" (if the affected components can't be fixed).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021...al-issue-cost-verstappen-0-3s-lap-in-bahrain/

I thought engine power modes could not be altered from qualifying to race trim, or during the race itself?
You’re permitted to change engine modes but you need to notify race control with a valid excuse.

They turned the engine down to protect it, which is fine. Turning it up to 11 to catch someone up the road isn’t :p

There are exceptions for specific circumstances, such as the formation lap, laps under safety car conditions, and laps that are purposely at a very slow pace – the in-lap after the end of a race, or the out-lap in qualifying, for example.

Caporegime
I'd like the pinnacle of motorsport to not prevent drivers from choosing if they want to turn the wick up on their engine.

Agreed.
If you want to take the gamble now for less reliability it just adds more variability into the mix. Which is what f1 lacks

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Its a team sport.

The guys in the garage wanna finish races mate, not do well in 70% of the races and the rest are DNF.

Right, let's see...23 races this season, 70% of that is 16 to nearest integer. 16 races winning and 7 DNFs nets you 400 points. 23 races in second place is only 14 more. That seems a bit tight to me. I think I'd prefer my driver having the option of turning the wick up a bit once in a while to get some wins and make certain of that title...

Caporegime
Right, let's see...23 races this season, 70% of that is 16 to nearest integer. 16 races winning and 7 DNFs nets you 400 points. 23 races in second place is only 14 more. That seems a bit tight to me. I think I'd prefer my driver having the option of turning the wick up a bit once in a while to get some wins and make certain of that title...
But the cars are generally so reliable that your opponent could win every race you to retire in and come second every other race. That makes 175 points you don’t get. Second place every other race is 188 points. That’s 463 points. I see a potential flaw in your plan.....

JRS

JRS

Soldato
But the cars are generally so reliable that your opponent could win every race you to retire in and come second every other race. That makes 175 points you don’t get. Second place every other race is 188 points. That’s 463 points. I see a potential flaw in your plan.....

True. I'll be perfectly honest - I couldn't be bothered to do a proper work-up of a few scenarios, because I honestly don't at all understand the argument against letting a driver have control of engine modes without having to provide Race Control with a "valid excuse".

Just one more item on the long list of 'Things JRS Disagrees With OcUK Motorsport Forum Members On™' :p

Caporegime
True. I'll be perfectly honest - I couldn't be bothered to do a proper work-up of a few scenarios, because I honestly don't at all understand the argument against letting a driver have control of engine modes without having to provide Race Control with a "valid excuse".

I'd favour them having control, although it's a mild preference rather than anything else. If the FIA feel that it was stopping them enforcing the rules I don't have much of a problem with that.

Caporegime
Some of the commands and requests from the Pitwall make mockery of the 'The driver should drive the car'. The number of requests going to George Russell in Bahrain last year was pushing the boundaries.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Mercedes claimed that 1 lap of "party mode" was equivalent to 25 race laps.

I'm sure the teams would know how much to restrict themselves when it comes to turning up the engine. After all, I bet most teams were doing it before it got banned...

Back
Top Bottom