AMG GT R - Der Tag

Soldato
Yup, this improves it!

I fiddled with the screen trying to sort it and failed, but when I put media settings into the centre of the speed/rev counter it showed iPod and I selected that and much better sound. Better sound and more than enough for my old ears. Good shout @Bear

Glad you got it sorted out, I also use an iPod for my tunes and keep it plugged in to the port under the arm rest which keeps it permanently charged up

Soldato
Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
The colour is Hyacinth Red Metallic I think, it’s the same colour on my car Show Us Your Motors!

Designo Hyacinth Red I think, so same as yours.

I did consider the green, but loads in that colour and I think I would tire of it are a bit. The matt grey colour I have on mine was not actually a choice, but it grew on me more and more and then I found the one I wanted and there you go.

Soldato
Designo Hyacinth Red I think, so same as yours.

I did consider the green, but loads in that colour and I think I would tire of it are a bit. The matt grey colour I have on mine was not actually a choice, but it grew on me more and more and then I found the one I wanted and there you go.

I must admit I am surprised to see you owning a Matt coloured car. It seems a bit Youtube star/football playery to me, at least it’s not white though!

Man of Honour
OP
I must admit I am surprised to see you owning a Matt coloured car. It seems a bit Youtube star/football playery to me, at least it’s not white though!
Oh I never think about stuff like that, I’m 53, it’s lost on me completely. Never liked football and the people I follow on YouTube are far from shiny teethers than you could care to imagine. I like the colour of the paint, simple really.

Right, I need to sell some Romanian hookers.

Soldato
So, here's a question Housey. So, I've owned my SRT8 now for a couple of months and as we all know, after a while of owning we now see the things that were either hidden, you didn't notice etc i.e. the things that you look and go I didnt' notice that. So, on mine, I've noticed a couple of boot scratches that I'd not noticed, the gloss on the calipers is looking a little worn, and a scratch/dig in the chrome on the rear.

So, what do you now see that you didn't see when it' was in a garage all waxed up etc? Anything or you think you've got lucky?

Soldato
So, here's a question Housey. So, I've owned my SRT8 now for a couple of months and as we all know, after a while of owning we now see the things that were either hidden, you didn't notice etc i.e. the things that you look and go I didnt' notice that. So, on mine, I've noticed a couple of boot scratches that I'd not noticed, the gloss on the calipers is looking a little worn, and a scratch/dig in the chrome on the rear.

So, what do you now see that you didn't see when it' was in a garage all waxed up etc? Anything or you think you've got lucky?

Know what you mean, I've had my car a couple of months as well now & the same as you I've noticed a couple of little things.

Small scratch on the bonnet lip just by the wiper arm (This will polish out though as it's really light)
Scratch on the N/S mirror casing
Couple of small chips on the rear bumper which have been touched up.
One of the ISO fixing covers on the rear seat was missing (picked a S/H one up for £15 - It will never be used but my OCD meant it had to be replaced :D)

Overall, can't say that's too bad really for a 4 1/2 year old car.

Man of Honour
OP

The car was mint and I never got to see it, I bought it blind.

There is the smallest of nicks I mean 2mm size next to one of the buttons on the centre console and......that's it. There was a small chip at the side of the door gap on the rear wing edge, but the seller showed me that on video and you would not have spotted it without it being pointed out. I don't like the PPF on the roof line as I can see the line (it's on the front surface to protect the main hit points) and I might have the entire roof done, but the car is immaculate and I have found nothing of concern.

The entire front end is PPF'd and I have done 50% of the miles the car has done in its life in the last 6 weeks for perspective. I effectively have a £162,000 car I paid £100,000 for....using the approved (and signed off) man maths.

Soldato
Know what you mean, I've had my car a couple of months as well now & the same as you I've noticed a couple of little things.

Small scratch on the bonnet lip just by the wiper arm (This will polish out though as it's really light)
Scratch on the N/S mirror casing
Couple of small chips on the rear bumper which have been touched up.
One of the ISO fixing covers on the rear seat was missing (picked a S/H one up for £15 - It will never be used but my OCD meant it had to be replaced :D)

Overall, can't say that's too bad really for a 4 1/2 year old car.
yeah exactly, you kinda think when you find them, why didn't I see that, it's weird isn't it. I'm with you the little things I've found out, it's 11 years old and of course it'll have things wrong.

The car was mint and I never got to see it, I bought it blind.

There is the smallest of nicks I mean 2mm size next to one of the buttons on the centre console and......that's it. There was a small chip at the side of the door gap on the rear wing edge, but the seller showed me that on video and you would not have spotted it without it being pointed out. I don't like the PPF on the roof line as I can see the line (it's on the front surface to protect the main hit points) and I might have the entire roof done, but the car is immaculate and I have found nothing of concern.

The entire front end is PPF'd and I have done 50% of the miles the car has done in its life in the last 6 weeks for perspective. I effectively have a £162,000 car I paid £100,000 for....using the approved (and signed off) man maths.
WOW buying it blind, didn't realise you did that... hahaha, brave man... however all good and suppose at this level, the videos and walkarounds you had was probably as good as being there. Good to know that though that there's barely anything that's come as a surprise. The last couple of cars I'd had, I noticed after buying they'd had paint (Saab was passenger door) and the RX8 has the rear quarter done. Nothing major, but you think afterwoulds how did I not see that. I don't like surprises lol.

Amazing you'd basicaly been out blasting and getting some mileage on it, tbh though that's what aa car is for. It's not for storing in a garage, that's sacrilage. Yeah we all wanna keep our cars mint as, BUT then we do buy them to enjoy them as well! Good to know you're using it!!!

Man of Honour
OP
It is filthy and sitting in the garage looking sorry for itself. I have always used my cars, never abuse them (if you exclude rear tyres on my E Class that is...) and always maintain them to high standard. In my experience used cars are much less prone to the foibles and niggles that impact garage queens. The fact my car needed a few grand of warranty work to replace some sensors is evidence of that. It will get washed and cleaned inside and out this weekend, which will be the forth time in my 6 weeks of ownership.

Man of Honour
OP
Is there anything special you need to do with the matte/frozen paint jobs?
Not that I am aware of specifically, but I have bought some Swissvax products that are supposed to be designed for such paint. Whole front end is PPF'd anyway so you are just washing plastic really and there are various PPF'd elements around arches etc and the roof, which is partly done and what isn't done is carbon fibre anyway. I use a snow foam to pre clean then go to work with all new washing mitts etc and use towels to dry off, which are so much nicer than leathers.

Man of Honour
OP
I had cause to call on the brakes in an emergency yesterday.

On a road I know well I came into a left hand blind bend to be confronted by 6 cars doing 5mph behind a pair of bikes. Back of a golf zooming towards me I moved to go down the right of the line by instinct as nothing coming as I stamped on the lot in the bend. Not only did it stop me well short the car didn’t become unbalanced at all, very impressive. Incredible poise and I know some of my previous cars would have been trying to swap ends.

The ride is quite stiff and it does move around a fair bit on bumps so needs respect but it really is a fast car and I can see why it laps the ring so quickly. Enjoying it hugely.

Soldato
I had cause to call on the brakes in an emergency yesterday.

On a road I know well I came into a left hand blind bend to be confronted by 6 cars doing 5mph behind a pair of bikes. Back of a golf zooming towards me I moved to go down the right of the line by instinct as nothing coming as I stamped on the lot in the bend. Not only did it stop me well short the car didn’t become unbalanced at all, very impressive. Incredible poise and I know some of my previous cars would have been trying to swap ends.

The ride is quite stiff and it does move around a fair bit on bumps so needs respect but it really is a fast car and I can see why it laps the ring so quickly. Enjoying it hugely.
Good test of your discs and pads then hahaha, and tyres letrs be honest. Glad it all ended ok though in all seriousness! Makes you think sometimes doesn't it... if it's a blind bind ease off.. something I learnt on the motorbike, makes you such a wary car driver then... good stuff.

I'll be having a crack at changing all the discs and pads on my SRT8 soon. Got the rear discs and front/rear pads... just waiting on the front discs and I'll be ready to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s a real problem round these parts too as so many of the B roads are lined by hedges. If you really ‘drive as fast as you can see’ you’re doing 20mph in anything as low as a sports car.

Back
Top Bottom