This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/event-operations-manager-salary-SRCH_KO0,24.htm

Seems a good indication but doesn't specify a location, which I'd have said will have a big impact on the range but it's a start at least.
She earns under £20k at the moment (but does get a lot of benefits), so anything higher than that would be a massive bonus. Will get her CV sorted out and put in an application. She has previous knowledge of the field after working in the Hotel industry and organising events. Doubt she'll get an offer but it's worth a try.

Soldato
OP
She earns under £20k at the moment (but does get a lot of benefits), so anything higher than that would be a massive bonus. Will get her CV sorted out and put in an application. She has previous knowledge of the field after working in the Hotel industry and organising events. Doubt she'll get an offer but it's worth a try.
Focus on the transferrable skills required for the new role and I'm sure she has plenty of those from her current role to this one!

Soldato
God dammit. I know i've complained about these Oracle consultants before, but they've set this system up with no consistency at all. Some fields they've used Underscores and others they've used spaces.

That's annoying enough when you're trying to reference things and want to just type out the syntax rather than clicking around with the mouse which takes ages, but they've excelled themselves on this one.

Yk3MMVc.png

Just changed half way through!

Soldato
Video interview done. Think it went well and there was discussion of the next steps, so that's always a positive sign.

Very scary though as i'm being negative about my chances of doing the role should i be hired. Given it's training based which i've only done in limited situations before and never online. I'm 90% sure i can, it just needs a change of mindset. Still a long way to go yet i imagine.

Next step seems to be a 15-20 minute presentation. I'm hoping i get guidance as to what it's on as the interviewer just mentioned "Excel". I can do Excel, i'm very good at it, but in the past when asked to do presentations it's either been "Give us a presentation on how you'd approach the job for the first 3-6 months" or "Here's a spreadsheet of data, take an hour and then we'll come back and see what you've found" this sounds like it would be more on "me" to decide.

I guess Youtube will be a good source of material examples.

Soldato
Had confirmation i'm through to the next stage so need start preparing something.

I've been given a spreadsheet of data and need to prepare on one of the following areas

Excel topics Presentation Data

1. V Lookup functionality
2. Multi-level Custom Sorting and Filtering
3. Conditional Formatting
4. Concatenation

20 minutes to discuss Concatenation seems extreme! The others give a bit more opportunity to get into details.

EDIT - Reread the brief, you basically have to approach it as if you're a trainer meeting people for the first time, so i suppose it's not just 20 minutes on the topic, there can be a bit of an introduction, intro to the topic, then a Q&A at the end.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is it worth paying for a CV and cover letter writing service? My mrs is wanting to change her job and her CV is quite basic. I'm only really good at writing technical CV's. I don't mind paying to help her out but I don't want to end up with a generic CV that's been copied and pasted, I wanted it to be completely custom for her.

Soldato
Some sites will give a certain amount of feedback for free (obviously in the hope you take them up on a more customer service). We tried it for my daughter, however the problem was that some of the feedback was nonsensical. It talked about not showing off her full range of skills and experience and was more of a do'ers CV. I get that when you're at a more senior level, but she was 18 and had only worked as a waitress and then at McDonalds. Perhaps by paying you'd get a better level of insight.

The other option would be to post it on here for some feedback? I think if her CV is quite basic then something like a 1 page CV which is more "Skill" based would probably be better than a more conventional style.

Soldato
Cheers guys, it's an odd one. Whilst i'd love to be accepted i know there are many reasons why i wouldn't be. I know it's a very different job than i'm used to which takes a little pressure off, compared to something that's my "bread and butter" where i'd be expecting to be offered if that makes sense. Just need to do what i do and be myself and hope that's enough to convince them. I figure i wouldn't be at this stage if they didn't believe that i was capable though.

I'm happy with my presentation, i must've gone over it around 10-15 times now and my timings are good. I also don't use Zoom other than for the odd chat with mates as we use Teams at work, so yesterday i made sure i got up to speed on that as i realised i needed to share my powerpoint but needed them to see the slides but keep presentation notes for myself and i've practiced that along with flicking from the slides to Excel and back without it being clunky which i figure is important. no one wants to watch you fumbling around switching programs!

Luckily i actually really enjoy interviews normally and am normally pretty confident so just need that to settle in. Gonna go for a run at dinner, just to get out and clear my head too.

Soldato
Anybody here had issues with work and paternity leave?
I've given notice of my paternity leave well in advance and confirmed with HR a little while ago, all good. But the problem is we're down staff at the moment, I'm essentially the last man standing and the company is being incredibly slow hiring to the point that I'm likely to be on paternity leave when there's no cover.

I'm less concerned that I'll get disturbed while on paternity leave and asked to do stuff, because I will just not answer my phone, I don't have a problem with that. It's just the anxiety of what I'll come back to I suppose and the **** storm I might get for not answering my phone.

Less a question, more a release of my annoyance that this is going to occur.

Soldato
....And breathe. Feel like it went well. Both the interviewers were great and it felt quite relaxing.

They suggested the HR guy would be in touch about the next step in the process so that always sounds positive. Although i suppose they're unlikely to say "You were rubbish, we won't be proceeding further"

Man of Honour
Received a formal job offer this evening from a company I've been talking to. Wasn't expecting to hear anything for another month but they really want me and wanted the offer in ASAP.

However.

Tomorrow morning my current MD announces me as part of a new Leadership Team in the company presentation.

Don't feel particularly brilliant about this tbh.

Soldato
How long do you guys normally have to wait post a final interview to hear back?

I'm on my third interview with this company, the first was an informal chat a few weeks back, the second was in person early last week, and the final one was Friday just gone and was a follow up call with further interview questions that they'd not asked in person. They also told me it's between two people and they're effectively struggling to decide.

Had an e-mail from their HR manager earlier this week to say that the person deciding the role is off on annual leave until the end of the week (didn't say today/tomorrow). Are they just stringing me along as they've already offered it to the other candidate and they're waiting for them to accept do we think?

Whole thing is making me second guess myself. Interview in person went well, but the call was tragic.

Back
Top Bottom