• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega 56 Sapphire Pulse *No signal*

Soldato
Hi guys,

My brother called me last night said that he was playing Battlefield 4 and the monitor just turned off.

He has a Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse, bought from OCUK a while back and I swear he has probably 100 hours of gaming on it since then, hardly used at all.

PC turns on, no signal on HDMI or Display Port.

I put a 290 in his system and everything booted perfect.

Took his Vega 56 to my system and same, no signal with HDMI to Display Port.

Would be extremely disappointed if the card has died as he has hardly used it all.

Any advice guys? Thanks

Man of Honour
Sounds like you've done the obvious checks, different card same system and same card different system. Only other suggestion I have is if it's using any sort of power adapters (e.g. molex to 6/8pin) try swapping them out or plugging in direct.
I guess 5600XT would be the obvious RMA replacement, although could perhaps argue it could be an 8GB VRAM replacement, meaning 5700 if he's lucky.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, gonna try that out @HangTime thanks as both attempts have been with braided extension cables.. I have no idea about warranty so have emailed sapphire and ocuk to see if they can help at all!

I would have thought 5700 as a replacement is fair... I would be slightly miffed if they tried to palm me off with a 5600 XT!

To be honest he would be happy with any replacement ! Just hope there is warranty left, this card was hardly used at all :(

Mad that people can mine their cards 24/7 and they keep on chugging, my brother plays 100 hours in over a year and a bit and the card goes pop.

Associate
Dismantle the cooler and check the thermal pads. If they started to leak oil try to clean and replace the pads.

My Nitro 480 suffered the same issue. Happily gaming then PC shutoff. Card does not power/fan spin. Got a multimeter and found a few dead circuits.

There is a thread in here where the OP diagnosed the card and found blown fuses. Yours might be the same.

If it is still within warranty do not dismantle :D

Man of Honour
I would have thought 5700 as a replacement is fair... I would be slightly miffed if they tried to palm me off with a 5600 XT!
5600XT is faster in nearly all games than Vega56 at least in 1440p/1080p, not sure about 4k but arguably both cards are a bit underpowered for that anyway. There's the odd game where Vega56 is slightly faster (probably ones with extreme textures) but considering the lower power consumption I'd be pretty happy to get a 5600XT as a replacement. More FPS, lower running costs / power usage, and newer.
If you scroll down to "Performance summary" here you can see the picture across a range of titles https://www.techspot.com/review/1993-amd-vega-56-revisited/

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, looks like it's kaput.

Out of warranty by a few months so ocuk nor sapphire can help.

My bro is bowing out of PC gaming now unfortunately, really ****** off at the fact he hardly used it and it just died. I used to respect Sapphire products but this is very crap.

Soldato
Thanks guys, looks like it's kaput.

Out of warranty by a few months so ocuk nor sapphire can help.

My bro is bowing out of PC gaming now unfortunately, really ****** off at the fact he hardly used it and it just died. I used to respect Sapphire products but this is very crap.

Take it he tried the bios switch in the other position? If it still doesn't work, I'd still take the cooler off for a gander. Might be a fuse or cap

Soldato
OP
Take it he tried the bios switch in the other position? If it still doesn't work, I'd still take the cooler off for a gander. Might be a fuse or cap

Thanks buddy, yep tried the bios flick. Nothing to lose now taking the cooler off and having a look, I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow! Wish me luck haha

Associate
I'm surprised no ones mentioned the "oven bake" trick to revive dead cards.You have nothing to lose anyways so you may as well try it.

Man of Honour
At the very least you should check all the rails with a multimeter. A fella on youtube called Elitech does a vega 64 diagnosis and repair which goes over the rails to check. Ive done a few vegas myself with the same issue and my sucess rate is 50% over 2 cards. I do have a spare vega donor pcb if you find/need a replacement component.

Soldato
OP
At the very least you should check all the rails with a multimeter. A fella on youtube called Elitech does a vega 64 diagnosis and repair which goes over the rails to check. Ive done a few vegas myself with the same issue and my sucess rate is 50% over 2 cards. I do have a spare vega donor pcb if you find/need a replacement component.

That's amazing buddy thanks very much! Plan on giving it a go next weekend! Gonna crack it open and check the rails, i looked up that guys video and it is a great help thanks. Will update here! Thanks again mate.

Man of Honour
That's amazing buddy thanks very much! Plan on giving it a go next weekend! Gonna crack it open and check the rails, i looked up that guys video and it is a great help thanks. Will update here! Thanks again mate.

No worries if you need parts give me a shout!

Back
Top Bottom