Epic Games Store now open!

Caporegime
OP
Interesting information revealed in court papers -

"A new court filing has revealed some interesting new details about Epic Games and Epic Games Store. According to the filing, Epic has lost around $181 million & $273 million on EGS in 2019 and 2020, respectively. This basically means that Epic Games Store has not been profitable these past two years. Epic expects its store to turn a profit in 2023..."

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/epic...million-on-egs-in-2019-and-2020-respectively/

Man of Honour
People sign up for the free games which cost them. That’s it, people then go elsewhere to buy their games. Many will also wait for the timed exclusives to leave before picking them up.

Associate
People sign up for the free games which cost them. That’s it, people then go elsewhere to buy their games. Many will also wait for the timed exclusives to leave before picking them up.

Am in the minority finding their store and sales unattractive. I like to buy games at their lowest ever price and they only have sales sparringly. Where as Steam has a different sale every week. I've bought games with their voucher but they can't be turning a profit on those games. Maybe I'm not the demographic they're targeting though

Soldato
I dunno I have bagged some really good deals from them and some of the freebies have been excellent as well. It's worth keeping an eye on all the stores if you want the best bargains.

Permabanned
Infidels!!

Gabenu Akbar. May Steam be upon you.

I've been playing my backlog for ages, haven't bought jack. Now I've got a load of games in my to-buy backlog. Need a new computer tho and that ain't happening for months at least. But if I were buying games, I usually wait long enough for it not to matter where I buy and I would go: GOG if possible > Steam > physical copy > get on console (download) > become a hardcore monk > Epic.

Soldato
Interesting information revealed in court papers -

"A new court filing has revealed some interesting new details about Epic Games and Epic Games Store. According to the filing, Epic has lost around $181 million & $273 million on EGS in 2019 and 2020, respectively. This basically means that Epic Games Store has not been profitable these past two years. Epic expects its store to turn a profit in 2023..."

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/epic...million-on-egs-in-2019-and-2020-respectively/

I am trying to think but is there laws preventing businesses from gaining market share via non profitable methods?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-competitive_practices

The dumping category?

Anti-competitive practices are commonly only deemed illegal when the practice results in a substantial dampening in competition, hence why for a firm to be punished for any form of anti-competitive behaviour they generally need to be a monopoly or a dominant firm in a duopoly or oligopoly who has significant influence over the market.

So they ok now but if they actually succeeded would be potentially illegal?

Soldato
I always worry what will happen if GOG go bust. Will we still be able to access Galaxy because all my games are installed through the client

This was discussed a while back (for all sites such as Steam, GOG, etc.) and the most common conception was that they would all be made available to download DRM free for a period. How true that is I have no idea.

Love to see EGS crashing and burning as it rightly deserves to, long may it continue - keep claiming all the free games lads you're doing a great job :D

Why? Surely competition is only a good thing? I've had some fantastic games off Epic for nothing and it's certainly a place I'd look if I was buying a game. Steam used to do some really great weekend deals or sales. I can't remember the last time I found anything on sale at Steam that I wanted to buy in a deal. Most people will get it from a CD key website, such as Humble Bundle / Green Man Gaming, etc. and then add the key to Steam so it's not like Steam are giving the good deals out anymore it's all the key selling sites that you may get a deal from.

M.

Associate
This was discussed a while back (for all sites such as Steam, GOG, etc.) and the most common conception was that they would all be made available to download DRM free for a period. How true that is I have no idea.

Why? Surely competition is only a good thing? I've had some fantastic games off Epic for nothing and it's certainly a place I'd look if I was buying a game. Steam used to do some really great weekend deals or sales. I can't remember the last time I found anything on sale at Steam that I wanted to buy in a deal. Most people will get it from a CD key website, such as Humble Bundle / Green Man Gaming, etc. and then add the key to Steam so it's not like Steam are giving the good deals out anymore it's all the key selling sites that you may get a deal from.

M.

It's worth adding this, which tells you current lowest price and all time lowest ever price whenever you click on a steam page

https://steamdb.info/extension/

Associate
Anti-competitive practices are commonly only deemed illegal when the practice results in a substantial dampening in competition, hence why for a firm to be punished for any form of anti-competitive behaviour they generally need to be a monopoly or a dominant firm in a duopoly or oligopoly who has significant influence over the market.

So they ok now but if they actually succeeded would be potentially illegal?

Epic/EGS isn't a "monopoly or a dominant firm in a duopoloy or olipoly" so this wouldn't apply. Running at a loss to build your customer base is a common business strategy when breaking into a new market in all industries. However, if Steam decided to drop all it's prices and run at a loss to push a new gaming store out of the market then then would get in trouble.

Microsoft are following a similar strategy to build their GamePass user base. But they are doing it via their '3 months for £1' offer. I'd imagine that GamePass on PC is also currently running at a loss.

Soldato

Competition is good. Paying to restrict releases of games to your store and your store only is harmful and not something any of us should want to succeed

Soldato
Competition is good. Paying to restrict releases of games to your store and your store only is harmful and not something any of us should want to succeed

Unfortunately everywhere will have exclusives. I don't particularly like it but Steam did the same with Half Life and forcing you to use Steam to download HL2. If Epic want to do it to promote there store then there's little we can do other than boycott it if you don't agree with it. Sony do it on the PS5 and the only ones who don't really do it are CD Projekt Red but it does happen everywhere else.

M.

Soldato
Epic/EGS isn't a "monopoly or a dominant firm in a duopoloy or olipoly" so this wouldn't apply. Running at a loss to build your customer base is a common business strategy when breaking into a new market in all industries. However, if Steam decided to drop all it's prices and run at a loss to push a new gaming store out of the market then then would get in trouble.

Microsoft are following a similar strategy to build their GamePass user base. But they are doing it via their '3 months for £1' offer. I'd imagine that GamePass on PC is also currently running at a loss.

Thats why I said if they succeeded, they dont have to become the dominant player but just a cause a significant shift in market share would also be enough.

Soldato
All subsidized by parents of Fortnite kids and Unreal engine users.
Yip. My two boys are fervent Fortnite players. We pay the £10 a month for each of them to get "free" skins and vbucks each month plus the battle pass for each season is included. However, we occasionally buy them vbucks as a reward or if they beg so much I give in. Almost all of any money they receive for birthdays, Xmas, etc. usually gets spent on vbucks too. I would estimate that they have spent close to £300 each over the past two years on Fortnite. As a matter of principal, I have an issue spending real currency on fake currency but they don't want anything else, they're not interested in toys and the like. Times have changed I guess...

Back
Top Bottom