Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I think the American police are far too heavy handed for the most part, sometimes it feels like there's a binary "ED 209" approach to apprehending somebody, but it's very much the American way - law and order at all costs. The problem is - with being so relentless, especially in the case of shooting someone who's simply wanted, who tried to get away, or shooting somebody simply because they won't obey a command - it just inflames tensions and causes more problems, both sides double down and nobody wants to compromise.

The fact that thete are so many guns out there and if someone gets bsck into their car they could be going for a gun...

If you're a cop that wants to see retirement then chances are you'll have to 'Hans Solo's someone at some point.

Soldato
That army Sgt. did the right thing. He kept his hands visible at all times while being screamed at. That police officer was having a complete meltdown. I can just imagine the army guy getting shot the moment his hands are hidden from view to unclip his seat belt.

police standards in America are all over the place right now. There needs to be a minimum standard across the board with longer and more training but it will never happen because you have 3-4 different police in operation from state, city, federal etc

Soldato
That army Sgt. did the right thing. He kept his hands visible at all times while being screamed at. That police officer was having a complete meltdown. I can just imagine the army guy getting shot the moment his hands are hidden from view to unclip his seat belt.

police standards in America are all over the place right now. There needs to be a minimum standard across the board with longer and more training but it will never happen because you have 3-4 different police in operation from state, city, federal etc
He put his hands back into the car at least once, and he had ample time to remove his belt and get out of the car which he lawfully had to do. He of course has the time to start recording on his phone, but somehow can't unbuckle his belt?

Police: "Open the door slowly, step out. Open the door."
Army Officer: "I'm not getting out the vehicle, what's going on?"

The full video clearly shows him not complying way before the spray was used. He wanted to make a big deal out of it, and he got his wish.

Soldato
So for people here in the thread,

Based on the evidence so far, not conjecture or bias - does anyone here think he's guilty of second degree murder? If so, what evidence would you use to back up that opinion and which evidence would you cite, which proves intent was present?

** I personally think he's definitely not guilty of second degree, unsure regarding third degree, probably guilty of second degree manslaughter..

Associate
So for people here in the thread,

Based on the evidence so far, not conjecture or bias - does anyone here think he's guilty of second degree murder? If so, what evidence would you use to back up that opinion and which evidence would you cite, which proves intent was present?

** I personally think he's definitely not guilty of second degree, unsure regarding third degree, probably guilty of second degree manslaughter..

After watching the whole video I don't think he is guilty of any murder charges, I even think man slaughter could be stretching it as well based on the new evidence that his knee was on his shoulder and not restricting his breathing, seems pretty clear George Floyd's health and drug taking was his ultimate demise. Maybe they could get him for not giving first aid at an earlier stage, but maybe the cops were perhaps under pressure from the bystanders that may have diverted attention from what was the pertinent situation in trying to save George Floyd's life.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Based on the evidence so far, not conjecture or bias - does anyone here think he's guilty of second degree murder?

nope not at all IMO

My current thinking re: the chances of the various outcomes from the jury is:

second-degree murder: 5%
third-degree murder: 15%
second-degree manslaughter: 35%
mistrial: 35%
not guilty: 10%

Soldato
He put his hands back into the car at least once, and he had ample time to remove his belt and get out of the car which he lawfully had to do. He of course has the time to start recording on his phone, but somehow can't unbuckle his belt?

Police: "Open the door slowly, step out. Open the door."
Army Officer: "I'm not getting out the vehicle, what's going on?"

The full video clearly shows him not complying way before the spray was used. He wanted to make a big deal out of it, and he got his wish.
This just goes to show how people can watch exactly the same footage, and yet come to completely different conclusions.

Soldato
Think todays witness is the last of the prosecutions and the biggest one for the case, so I shall reserve my judgement until after they are done.

EDIT: That didn't last long, the prosecutions plan was shot down by the judge.

Last edited:
Soldato
So its a left issue is it? How were you able to jump through that massive hoop to get to that conclusion I will never know.

As you need it pointing out:

Leftists who use violence = Antifa, BLM etc (summer 2020 riots)

Leftists who use corruption = Democrats

Leftists who use racism = Historically vis slavery, Jim crow are the democrats and not with critical race theory, creating more racism.

Soldato
As you need it pointing out:

Leftists who use violence = Antifa, BLM etc (summer 2020 riots)

Leftists who use corruption = Democrats

Leftists who use racism = Historically vis slavery, Jim crow are the democrats and not with critical race theory, creating more racism.
So your cherry picking because you probably watch too much fox news. Funny how actual statistics completely invalidate your claims.

TNT_Graphics_Figure1.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Ohhh defence bringing up "last nights events" (BLM stuff)- wants to sequester the jury because of the violence.

Also earlier arguments about how to deal with Hall's possible testimony/statement etc.. vs 5th amendment rights - Judge to rule on that this afternoon (US).

edit - update, Judge not currently going to sequester the jury as current civil unrest isn't related to this case. He's given an example that if someone were to find out who a juror was then he'd consider it - needs a greater threat than just civil unrest following another incident.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Another prosecution witness - cardiologist this time, asking him about whether he deals with cases involving low oxygen etc.. can see what they will want him on this.

Permabanned
Think the current witness may get hit hard on the cross examination.... Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and it seems that he is basing his opinions on a limited part of the overall picture i.e general medical notes and watching the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom